countzero

bomber jumps- when and where?

i recently heard about bomber jumps. and would like to know how i can find out more info on when and where i could do one. also what kind of liscense and exp. level is required.

i'll have my A by the end of the month and my B by march or april of 07'.

blue skies!
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

What is a bomber jump? The only thing that comes to mind is jumping out of a B-52 or something, but that doesn't seem so plausible...

you basically drop out of the plane through the bomb bay door opening. it's one of those pay extra speciality air craft (like balloon and helicopter) type deals they have at boogies.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

at 750 a jump they better be going to 30k ft and providing you with all the gear to make a jump from that alti, plus have a really comfortable chair and in flight movie, with a steak dinner.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Its not $750 a jump, but it is closer to $400 a jump from around 6-7000 feet. The cost to operate a vintage B-17 is not cheap and all that is basically happening with that money is the fuel cost is being covered and the ferry fee. The entire cost is usually tax deductable so that helps also in justifying the cost.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I did a bomber jump (B-17) around 2000 at the WFFC. Was fun. On the way up I sat on the lip of the 'sunroof' (they had removed the top window they used for celestial navigation) and watched the farms stream by from that vantage point. Was a pretty cool view; I felt like Slim Pickens from Dr. Strangelove (except I was riding a bomber instead of a bomb.)

On exit we set up in the bomb bay by straddling the rails on either side. They opened the bomb bay doors and we dropped out by pulling our legs together. I was somewhat distracted, since the woman in front of me was nude; she had gotten a free jump by saying she'd make it a nude jump.

I think it cost me $350, and they only went to 7500 or so, but it was worth it for the views alone.

I was somewhat distracted, since the woman in front of me was nude; she had gotten a free jump by saying she'd make it a nude jump.

I think it cost me $350, and they only went to 7500 or so, but it was worth it for the views alone.

She was a looker, then?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have Hi-8 video of my bomber jump!;):P Half the guys on the load didn't want to go out the bomb bay. They went out the door toward the tail. I have no idea what their issue was.:S Standing over the bomb bay while the doors were opened underneath me was WAY COOOOOL. At $350 for the jump probably the best one I've ever done.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

On exit we set up in the bomb bay by straddling the rails on either side. They opened the bomb bay doors and we dropped out by pulling our legs together. I was somewhat distracted, since the woman in front of me was nude; she had gotten a free jump by saying she'd make it a nude jump.

You must of been distracted, there were 3 nude women on that jump. (As copilot I was required to know these things)
SmugMug

... there were 3 nude women on that jump. (As copilot I was required to know these things)

Hopefully, you performed a thorough preflight of all essential equipment prior to takeoff. ;)

Kevin

The cost to operate a vintage B-17 is not cheap and all that is basically happening with that money is the fuel cost is being covered and the ferry fee.

The EAA had their B-17, Aluminum Overcast, at a local airport this weekend. As far as I know they don't do jumping out of it, but they do have flights (~$400) and ground tours ($6). I took the $6 one. :) One of the crew said that it burns about 50 gallons per hour per engine, or about 200 gallons an hour. The walk-up price for 100LL locally is $3.02/gallon, so that's a bit over $600 an hour. The national average for 100LL is about $3.90/gallon as I write this, so that's $780 an hour. Some things don't change, though... I watched them fuel up and they have a stick with notches on it that they put down in the tank to see how full it is, just like the 182 at the dropzone. Of course the stick for the 182 is about a foot (30 cm) long and the one for the B-17 was about four feet (1.2 m) long.

I didn't ask how much oil it went through, but the oil fill hatch on each engine was stenciled "ENG OIL 37.5 GAL" (or 142 L). Airplane engine oil seems to run about $15 to $25 a gallon, depending on plain or fancy, if you buy it onesy-twosy or in cases, etc. This means that a full oil change would run around $2200 to $3800. I don't know how many hours you get on an oil change; a quick Google suggests that the engines in Cessnas have a 50-hour oil change interval, so _IF_ the (totally different) B-17 engines have a similar interval, that's another $45 to $75 or so per hour for oil. On the other hand, the radial engines on the B-17 drip so much that you might never have to actually "change" the oil; if you just keep topping it off then after awhile you've probably done the equivalent of a complete change.

The entire cost is usually tax deductable so that helps also in justifying the cost.

Hmm. The Collings Foundation (who also fly a B-17 plus some others) say theirs are tax deductible, but the EAA doesn't say anything about tax deductibility of their rides. It's probably a good idea to check with the operator of whatever you're jumping out of.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

A few years ago I won a jump on the B-17 for $10. They sold 35 tickets per load at $10 each. WFFC

It was way better than I expected. I had the only video on board and exited last. Gave my video to the video guys who said they would play it on the big screen that night. They didn't play it and i never saw my tape again.:(

I hope someday that tape will find me. Until then, awesome memories.

The Collings Foundation is doing maint. right now down in Florida. Keep an eye on their schedule and if they're going to be close to you, let me know. We might be able to work something out.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried