frost

Crazy Russians :)

indeed. Regular altitude for (US) paratroopers is 800 feet, "fun jumps" are made from 1200 feet, combat are from 500 or below and i dont even think any modifications are required for T-10's for that.... I heard stories that on real combat jumps a reserve was an option. Most preferred to carry more ammo. :)

But this was a stunt for a movie, a very dangerous and a very well executed one, worthy of respect :) The planes in the shot are an An-2 and a Wilga (polish plane, not sure of the model).

There are pelnty of military, static-line parachutes approved for 500 exits, a few are even "approved" to be jumped as low a s 300 feet.
Mind you, military jumpers (paratroopers) only exit that low when someone is shooting back.

I don't know much about military combat jumping beyond Band of Brothers - but isnt it easier to hit an airplane that is making a drop from 500' as opposed to say, 3,000'?

There are pelnty of military, static-line parachutes approved for 500 exits, a few are even "approved" to be jumped as low a s 300 feet.
Mind you, military jumpers (paratroopers) only exit that low when someone is shooting back.

I don't know much about military combat jumping beyond Band of Brothers - but isnt it easier to hit an airplane that is making a drop from 500' as opposed to say, 3,000'?

Yes, but: Military priorities. The mission is first and foremost to deliver the jumpers. A lower jump is ultimately safer for the jumpers (less exposure to ground fire under canopy), even if it's more dangerous to the aircraft.

Isn't it easier to hit an airplane that is making a drop from 500' as opposed to say, 3,000'?

Not necessarily. Just as you can see more of the earth below from 3000 feet than you can from 500 feet, more folks on the ground can see you the higher you fly.

The lower you fly, the more likely you are to be masked by terrain features. If you fly low enough, weapons on ridge tops (positioned for maximum range and field of fire) may not be able to depress far enough to shoot down on you.

The lower you fly, the less reaction time an anti-aircraft gunner has. He might hear you coming, but he doesn't know exactly where to point. And if you fly directly over his position, it's unlikely he'd be able to traverse quickly enough to follow.

Radar warning and guidance systems negate some of the advantages of flying low, but military doctrine calls for taking out those systems early.

Mark

plus jumping low is far more fun :P
i saw an old video once of a round with steel(?) cross bars on top of the canopy at the apex (one of those old pathay clips) that apparently caused the canopy to open much quicker, is anything like that still used by anyone? and how do you stop the oscillation ive seen on old ww2 drop videos?

... and how do you stop the oscillation I've seen on old ww2 drop videos?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First, move away from the flat circular pattern used during WW2.
Most types of conicals (Strong LoPo), bi-conicals, tri-conicals (i.e Pioneer Tri-Conical sport reserve) aero conicals (Security Aero Conical ... sort of a curved tri-conical), quatra-conicals (i.e Butler's XTC-500) and parabolic (T-10) canopies are far more stable.
Another way to improve stability is to cut more vents around the skirt (i.e. the meshed tri-vents found in most civilian round reserves). Mind you, skirt-level vents merely point all those ossicilations in the same direction and forward drive is the LAST thing you want on a mass static-line drop!
Hee!
Hee!

The lower you fly, the more likely you are to be masked by terrain features. If you fly low enough, weapons on ridge tops (positioned for maximum range and field of fire) may not be able to depress far enough to shoot down on you.

The lower you fly, the less reaction time an anti-aircraft gunner has. He might hear you coming, but he doesn't know exactly where to point. And if you fly directly over his position, it's unlikely he'd be able to traverse quickly enough to follow.

Speaking as an Anti-aircraft instructor, I'm afraid that neither of those things will help the plane against modern gear. But actually its much worse that that since the most dangerous ground fire for aircraft in low level flight is not dedicated ant-aircraft weapons but each and every Tom on the ground with a rifle...

Incidentally I was under the impression that the new LLP (Low Level Parachutes) are designed for a 250ft exit. :o

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Problems getting a look at this video, but from the description it sounds much like a jump Natalie Chudiak and I made in 1991 - same location (Volosovo), aircraft (DOSAAF An-2 tail no. 05), and altitude (100 meters or so). Canopy was a standard military D-1-5U static lined and d-bag deployed. Well, it was pretty exciting, and i thought kinda ballsy too, even though a woman had preceeded me out the door!

But, that was nothing.

A couple of years later. I was at an airshow at Zhukovskiy, SE of Moscow. I knew some of the guys were going to make a low static line jump, but was startled when the An-2 came roaring full bore down airshow centre under 200 feet. A stick of 8 jumpers popped out in quick succession, the first on the ground before the last had cleared the aircraft. Canopies were the same standard D-1-5U, everybody had front mounted reserves - what the hell for I don't know. They did another later that afternoon - I had thought of asking to get on the load - something held me back!! so I had to be content with 10 ways out of the Mi-8. One of the guys later said they jump even lower "for practice".

Yeah, crazy Russians allright.

Canopies were the same standard D-1-5U, everybody had front mounted reserves - what the hell for I don't know.

You generally need to have a reserve when you do such jumps from the aircraft - in case the static line was rigged wrong, and you would hung on it. In this case the jumpmaster would cut the static line, then you open your reserve and land it. You do not need a reserve, however, when you do such a jump from the MI-8 helicopter, because it could just land with you safely (well, comparing to AN-2 :))
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Doesnt the AN2 manual state that if pull the stick all the way back it will just sink at a comparable rate to a parachute anyway?

Think again! Do you want to be dragged after a landing An-2 when you don't have a reserve and you got stucked on your static line?