shortyj

How many did you do?

I couldnt wait to be by myself! ;)

Well, don't tell your tandem master that. You'll hurt his feelings. [:/]

Oh nothing personal, but I wanted to be in control ya know?

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

Zero - and still have not done one.

Part of me would like to do one at some point just to try and be a pain in the ass for the TI or to be a good neutral person for a recently qualified TI to practice their stuff with.

The idea of tandem just didn't appeal to me really. You don't pay to go on one of these driving activity days only to sit in the passenger seat all day same as you wouldn't go snowboarding and expect to be steered by remote control.

I did 2 tandems after doing my first 3 SL jumps. They were so I could do a jump-in on an island DZ for a party, so just for fun (otherwise I'd have had to land with the plane twice, no thanx). They probably helped, since I can't remember the exits from SL 1-3 and tandem 1, but after tandem 2 I got rid of the sensory overload on exit.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How many tandems did you do before going thru aff? If you did quite a few were you more comfortable with your first aff jump?

It sounds like you'd like to do AFF, but are avoiding going alone. I think the more tandems someone makes, the less likely they will be to get away from them. In my opinion, a tandem jump is just an amusement park ride. No one should consider themself a skydiver if all they do is hang on someone's harness.

Kevin

How many tandems did you do before going thru aff? If you did quite a few were you more comfortable with your first aff jump?

None. But I did do some SL first and like some others am really happy that the first time I exited a plane was on my own.

But your question is impossible to answer anyway as any one particular person can't really know that they were more "comfortable" than something they didn't do, if you get my drift?

Is it possible that "too many" tandems (whatever that # is) might work the opposite way - the TM becomes a "comfort blanket" that the student is scared to let go?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I made two tandems before starting AFF. The first one I had complete sensory overload and couldn't stand up for about a minute after I landed. Second was to make sure that I really wanted to continue on in this sport.

Turns out I did. Second one was 100 times better than the first because I knew what to expect. I set up my AFF a week after the second tandem.

I don't think doing a tandem or two is a waste of money at all. Getting used to the environment without having to worry about deploying and controlling a parachute was worth every penny to me.

Is it possible that "too many" tandems (whatever that # is) might work the opposite way - the TM becomes a "comfort blanket" that the student is scared to let go?

Likely fodder for another thread, but I had a lengthy discussion on that with a well known DZO, and the possible effect of student retention a similar scenario might have.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~