PilotLevi

Have you ever forgot your goggles?

Dick Swanson (Handsome devil recently featured in Parachutist) never wears a helmet or goggles..... I've made a few jumps without and never wear them for hop'n'pops. Also, once I'm under canopy they come off (so do my tandem student's as long as their contacts are still in)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

just a thought from a n00b, how is it with students wearing a full face helmet? are they allowed to do so? i am aksing because i wear glasses, and that seems not to work that great with googles..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

well kind off :$left them on my forhead when doing a ballon jump thought the tearing was a bit strange while tracking but never thought anything otherwise :D Did n't really think about it till under canopy :Sjust left them where they where :D

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I had a pair snap on me about four seconds after the door opened. I had a lot of friends on the ground so I ended up jumping. I could barely read the altimeter but it was still a good jump. You've never squinted until you did it with a 100 mph wind in your face.

For goggles go to paragear, square 1, or any of the big ones. Their prices are usually competitive.

I voted no, but one time I left the plane on a routine hop n' pop from 13.5 to do some CReW, and they flew right off my head. Seems the plane at Skydive Houston doesn't quite slow down as much as the one at my home DZ. Hey, at least it was a CReW jump. If it hadn't been, I would have been screwed for sure.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Why didn't ya just open your helmet under canopy?

I always leave the Z1 cracked until right before I leave the airplane to prevent that and so I can actually breath.

The problem was, once the canopy opened I was in a left turn (this seems to happen often for some reason). I downsized to a 190 from a 230 that day and had no experience on a faster canopy. I grabbed the toggles and released them to get out of the turn. At that point, I tried to grab my shield and open it, but it's (obviously) not easy to do since it puts you right back in a turn.

So, I wasn't really sure what other options I had other than trying my best to see what I could. I couldn't see the traffic too well, but I was able to tell where I was over the airfield and land without landing on top of someone. It just seemed like a bad idea to allow myself to go into a spin for however long it took to push the button in and open the shield (it's a bit hard to do sometimes and I had gloves on making it harder).
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

just a thought from a n00b, how is it with students wearing a full face helmet? are they allowed to do so? i am aksing because i wear glasses, and that seems not to work that great with googles..

I think it depends on your instructor(s). Odds are they will not let you.

Your DZ should have some of those goggles available for people with glasses. They point out further than the standard goggles so you can fit glasses inside. I had to wear those for a while, until I got a Z1.

Why didn't ya just open your helmet under canopy?

The problem was, once the canopy opened I was in a left turn (this seems to happen often for some reason). I downsized to a 190 from a 230 that day and had no experience on a faster canopy. I grabbed the toggles and released them to get out of the turn. At that point, I tried to grab my shield and open it, but it's (obviously) not easy to do since it puts you right back in a turn.

So, I wasn't really sure what other options I had .

I'm not sure what induced your turn and I admit I am new at jumping myself, but...you *can* turn with risers vs releasing the brakes. I usually fly with brakes set until 2,000ft.

I usually fly with brakes set until 2,000ft.

You can do what ever you want but that doesn't make it a good idea. It is pretty hard to do a proper controllability check with your toggles stowed. :S
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Recently on my last jump I wore a pair of glasses (ran out of contacts) with my Z1 full face helmet which resulted in some pretty bad fogged up glasses. I could barely see in freefall and even worse under canopy. This resulted in not being able to check the traffic, landing downwind and almost having a collision with another jumper which caused him to have to turn to avoid me and land downwind. Oops.

I'm sorry, but this is about the dumbest thing I've heard someone do. I understand getting foggy glasses, but werent u able to just take em off under canopy?

As stated above and what did you do? Also theres some goggles I'm looking for anyone know any good websites that has them?

Google Oompa Loompa goggles or look on Ebay for the same. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I'm not sure what induced your turn and I admit I am new at jumping myself, but...you *can* turn with risers vs releasing the brakes. I usually fly with brakes set until 2,000ft.

As I said though, the canopy was in a deep turn as soon as it opened and I was flying a faster canopy than I was used to. It was the first time using the 190. I didn't want to take any chances spiraling downwards (considering you are an obstacle and descend much faster in a turn). I wanted to get out of that turn so I grabbed the toggles and released them. From there I didn't have the choice to pull a hand down and grab the shield to pop it up. Figured it was a bad idea. I made a few attempts, but as I said I made the decision not to continue trying.

I'm sorry, but this is about the dumbest thing I've heard someone do. I understand getting foggy glasses, but werent u able to just take em off under canopy?

Please read the whole story first.

I couldn't just "take them off" under canopy. I have a full-face and as soon as the canopy opened I was in a deep turn and made the decision to release the brakes and get out of it.

Did you consider letting go of your toggles, opening your helmet, then grab toggels again. You are very lucky not to have hurt yourself or someone else!

Worse can happen by letting go of your toggles. I was taught never to do so. I'm not sure how much I trust the toggles to stay where they should, especially on a canopy whose risers I had never even seen until it opened. If it was my own gear, there might be enough trust there to do something like that.

From there I didn't have the choice to pull a hand down and grab the shield to pop it up.

I normally release my brakes before opening my visor. Just bring both hands to your mouth (with the toggles in them) and pop it open with one hand. Practice it a few times... it's not hard to do.

BTW, this is one reason a full face might not be as appropriate as an open face for very new jumpers... it does add some extra stuff to think about.

Dave

BTW, this is one reason a full face might not be as appropriate as an open face for very new jumpers... it does add some extra stuff to think about.

It's not an issue at all with contacts in though. The shield has never fogged up, so I don't have any problems with the full face. The glasses were the issue.

I'm actually considering getting an open face possibly later this year though, so I have that option.

Sorry I'm going to suggest something you may not like. Im saying it for all the right reasons.

You have an excuse for every piece of advice given to you here. To me it seems like a simple issue to fix and Im a relative novice too. My suggestion is..... it may be a bit early to downsize at the moment. If you are not used to a control check after opening, especially when your jumping a rig for the first time. If you can't open a visor with your toggles in your hand or demist specs etc. Now is the time to speak with your senior instructor and get some advice. Downsizing is not the right thing to do.

Good luck and a long skydiving career
With love in Christ

Yes, I've fogotten my goggles - one time and that was exactly the jump with my German instructor for my German license (all jumps and AFF before were made in Spain): I'm a fool, need glasses, wore contacts which felt so uncomfortablet in freefall, so decided only to jump with glasses and huuuuge goggles - which I forgot at that important jump! Sitting there with glasses on my nose, no goggles and an exit to come within few minutes... no glasses will survive a freefall!

My instructor was/is a cool guy - he just took away goggles from the jumper next to him ("You can jump without, right?..!) handed them over to me and all went well! B|B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105