millertimeunc

Weather Question

On my 7th ever jump this past weekend, I had to help spot the DZ with an instructor. As I looked out, I noticed a bunch of sparkles like glitter going past at about 100 ft. down from the airplane. When we jumped, I found out pretty quick that it was a cloud of ice crystals. As we neared pull altitude, we punched through another cloud as well (my first time!). Just for the scenery, this was the most amazing jump I've had so far, and I was wondering what everyone's coolest weather/cloud jump was.

-Matt
The best things in life are dangerous.

On my 7th ever jump this past weekend, I had to help spot the DZ with an instructor. As I looked out, I noticed a bunch of sparkles like glitter going past at about 100 ft. down from the airplane. When we jumped, I found out pretty quick that it was a cloud of ice crystals. As we neared pull altitude, we punched through another cloud as well (my first time!). Just for the scenery, this was the most amazing jump I've had so far, and I was wondering what everyone's coolest weather/cloud jump was.

-Matt

As we neared pull altitude, we punched through another cloud more industrial haze as well (my first time!).

Fixed it for you - going through clouds is against the rules and we don't do that :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

During one of my solo jumps I remember looking down the jump run in free fall and seeing the 2way which exited before me. All I could make out were two tiny black dots. As they fell relatively close to a giant towering cumulus cloud it maybe me feel so insignificant. It made the sky feel so huge. After they disappeared through a cloud, I went along with my business of tracking for a hole and
soon after opened.

One of my most memorable solo jumps.
:D

[]DETE

Jumping through the "industrial haze" definitely wasn't on purpose, but it was cool, though!

Yes it can - even it it happens accidentally on purpose :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Ahh, jumping through clouds is a blast, but it's also dangerous, and in the United States it is illegal. With that said, I have, over many years, had some extraordinary cloud jumps. The best was probably a skydive in Z-Hills where pull altitude was just above a thin layer. As I prepared to dump I saw my shadow in the cloud surrounded by a giant sunball and rainbow. As I waved off my shadow waved back, then I hit the layer and was immediately back in clear air.

Cloud jumping really is dangerous in American airspace, and it is very clearly illegal. Since you are listed as a student, I hope you will take a look at The Ranch S&TA web site, and review article 19 "Jumping Near Clouds." Then discuss the hazards of cloud jumping with your instructor and a trusted pilot. Companion articles include article 8 "Airspace" and article 13 "FAA Regulations Applied."

In civilian skydiving accidental cloud jumps are inevitable, but we should endeavor to keep them to a minimum and reduce the risk we expose ourselves to, and we should reduce the risk imposed upon transient pilots.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hey Matt, This happens from time to time. Most of the load missed said haze, but the students in the back of the plane hit a little bit. The ice can be there year round... saturday it was in the 80's on the ground :S
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

>In Austalia now it is possible to get a Cloud Manual from Civil Aviation
>Safety Authority that allows you to punch cloud.

Yep. I recall jumping through some fairly thick clouds at a DZ near Cairns, Australia. It was a little eerie to intentionally exit over a solid cloud deck.

I did my second ever tandem jump on the weekend and we got to bust through a cloud! It was one of best experiences of my life! Being able to actually feel the cloud, then coming through the other side and seeing water and the beach was amazing.

Same again though, this was in Redcliffe, Queensland.

Yeah, two years ago I was at the DZ in Sydney (Picton) and I showed up at the DZ around noon. It was a Saturday and we had jumped the day before. I took my time getting out to the DZ because there was a solid cloud layer that morning....

Anyway, right after I got there I was standing near the landing area talking to this "bloke" I just met and I told him I was bummed out because I wanted to jump. He asked me why I could'nt jump? I said well look at the weather, can't jump in these clouds....

He just laughed and said "what are you talking about mate? There is a load up right now!"

Right about then a skyvan load punched through the solid overcast at about 5000 feet. Well, I sure did feel like a dumb American right then. I suddenly realized there is no FAA in Australia.

So I got on the next load and we jumped through the clouds most of the day but it did clear up later. One of the most memorable days jumping I have ever had.

Is it legal there t take student through clouds?

There were students and tandems on most loads I was on. They use GPS spotting and I am sure certain precautions are made.

Maybe the Aussies could chime in on this one? I don't have a clue what the laws are there.

I was just a tourist.

I flew my canopy through a bit of industrial haze last weekend. I was able to setup a 360 hook turn onto the top surface... It was the first time I've been able to see exactly what is happening during a high-performance maneuver such as that... As I'm not nearly skilled enough to do that anywhere near the ground yet.
Gravity Waits for No One.

I flew my canopy through a bit of industrial haze last weekend. I was able to setup a 360 hook turn onto the top surface... It was the first time I've been able to see exactly what is happening during a high-performance maneuver such as that... As I'm not nearly skilled enough to do that anywhere near the ground yet.

... how do you know the bottom of the cloud you hooked it into wasn't near the ground?

:|

------------------

Once upon a time, I was on a 30-some-way where at breakoff, when we all turned to track, we all went into the top of this industrial haze at about 5.5... and all came out the bottom at about 2. Pretty much everyone waited to dump until out the bottom... except for the tandem we were with that dumped on top. Anyway, not the smartest thing ever... what if that industrial haze had gone down to 1.5K?... 1K... lower??

But it made for great "No Shit... There I was... Thought I was gonna die!" stories in the Bomb Shelter that night!
;)B|:)

I followed a six way out once, just to watch. There was a significant buildup of industrial haze around, and we entered a dense accumulation of it about six seconds after exit. In the fractions of a second it took to enter, it wasn't seeing the haze, but rather watching the six way enter the haze that gave a good sense of how fast we were going. It was pretty awesome- we fall freakin fast from a perspective like that. I've had athsma ever since... stupid haze.

Maybe the Aussies could chime in on this one? I don't have a clue what the laws are there.

They must have some sort of guidelines
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

... how do you know the bottom of the cloud you hooked it into wasn't near the ground?

1. Because it was not a cloud... It was "Industrial Haze". :D

2. Because I wear two altimeters.

3. Because I was spotting and I know there aren't any high objects in the area.

4. Because I never lost sight of the ground.

5. Because I hooked ONTO it, NOT INTO it.

6. Because that could NEVER happen to me.:):D
Gravity Waits for No One.

1. Because it was not a cloud... It was "Industrial Haze". :D

2. Because I wear two altimeters.

3. Because I was spotting and I know there aren't any high objects in the area.

4. Because I never lost sight of the ground.

5. Because I hooked ONTO it, NOT INTO it.

6. Because that could NEVER happen to me.:):D

LOL

Okay there hard charger.

***pssst***

Can I get $20 on PWScottIV

:P