77r

Canopy deployment distance

Does anyone know which canopies take the longest to open and which ones open in a shorter amount of distance/ft? Not talking sequential opening based on how you pack it, which I'm sure plays a part, but overall.

I've heard of sabres for example taking 1000ft to open, which seems like a long time....[:/]

It is not a question that can be answered, obviously, you re not packing your own canopy!

Maybe it can't be answered by you. With 28 jumps I don't imagine you're any more canopy savvy than I am.

I actually do pack my own canopy just fine. I'm looking to buy a sabre main and when I looked to see what people were saying about it some people said it takes a while to open, which got me wondering about canopies in general and if it's something to be concearned about.

Simply a consumer trying to educate herself.

The way you pack your canopy makes a big difference to how it opens. I pro pack my Sabre, no special rolls or anything and it takes about 500ft. I always thought Sabres had a reputation for opening quickly anyway? Pilots are supposed to be nice and soft I've heard. Packing can make a fair difference though.

I've never heard of a Sabre routinely taking 1000ft to open.

Generally speaking when you're talking about slow opening canopies, the gold standard is the Spectre. 800ft isn't uncommon. It's a little unnerving the first few times a person jumps one, but after a person is used to it, it's very predictable.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What I meant was it all depends on how it is packed, and the characteristics of the canopy. My Diable has takan 1200' to open and has opened as quickly as 600', it depends on what you do with the slider, nose when packing. Yes @ 28 jumps with 17 packing I do have an idea on how MY canopy opens!

I actually do pack my own canopy just fine. I'm looking to buy a sabre main and when I looked to see what people were saying about it some people said it takes a while to open,

A Sabre1 or a Sabre2? I have never, ever heard of people complaining that their Sabre1 took too long to open. If my Sabre1 suddenly took 1000ft open I'd probably be thinking very hard about chopping it!

The Sabre2 opens softer, but it still isn't in the really long opening bracket of Spectre/ Safire2/ Pilots IMO.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I did a lot of canopy packing over the summer, and I find it hard to believe that rolling the nose can really slow the opening down a considerable amount.
I take my time packing and try to pack the same every time, but for the most part the openings would vary. Hard opening, soft, snivel , 90 degree turn etc. It just seems openings are very chaotic, with a lot of changing variables. A big one being body position.

One thing I've heard is to make sure the slider is all the way to the stops or else you can give someone a pretty fast opening.

Also unstowed breaks will produce a pretty hard opening, learned that the hard way.
:D

Well most of the packing I did were student rigs, plus the odd stiletto and hornet.

I'm sure high loaded HP canopy behave differently during opening so maybe rolling the nose is key.:S

[]DETE

Yes @ 28 jumps with 17 packing I do have an idea on how MY canopy opens!

No one is questioning if you know how to pack your own gear. That wasn't even mentioned. You simply said the question "couldn't be answered" and "OBVIOUSLY you're not packing your own gear!," which dosn't answer the question. I was saying that someone with more than 28 fun jumps would probably have a better answer than that.

So far I've had some great answers. Thx everyone :):ph34r:).

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I've been jumping Sabre 2s consistently, and just went to another drop zone and jumped a Spectre (6 times) and absolutely noticed the difference. All be it that different packers is another changing variable, the Sabre 2s I have jumped do snivel for a while before opening. The Spectres opened much faster, and nice and soft, but I like the way the Sabre 2 handles and lands better.
Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up.
- A Chinese Proverb

I see you learn quick! hundred pack jobs isn't that much. My sabre1 170 I would say is a slamer but last weekend i tried to be more careful with how I pack,bag, push the nore all the way, and my body position and i had 6 great openings out of 7 not bad! But my sabre certainly is a fast opening canopy.

My Spectre with dacron lines takes about 1000 feet to open. ( I think the dacron lines slow the slider down a bit compared to micro-line, but I haven't tested that in any detail ).
The fastest opening canopy I've jumped is a Falcon, which opens in about 500 feet.