camamel

Who is the most experience skydiver?

I thought Jim Wallace was way up there in jump #s / experience too?

I seem to recall a pissing contest going a few years back as to whether "most experienced = most jumps" or "most experience = most freefall time"... as didn't one of this crowd have more jumps, because of hop-n-pops after putting out 1000s of SL students while one of the other had less jump numbers, but more freefall time since most of their jumps were from the top???

>I seem to recall a pissing contest going a few years back as to whether
>"most experienced = most jumps" or "most experience = most freefall
>time"

Then you run into the tunnel time problem.

You gotta be shitin' me!!??!

Not to take away anything from the tunnel rats, but they aren't possibly thinking tunnel time = freefall time!!??

:S

>Not to take away anything from the tunnel rats, but they aren't
>possibly thinking tunnel time = freefall time!!??

It is literally freefall time. Doesn't count for USPA, but definitely counts towards whether someone has experience in freefall - and I could see someone claiming it _should_ count. In addition, you can easily skew actual freefall time +/- 25% in either direction by changing assumed fallrate or making assumptions about openings. Hence total jumps might be the more unambiguous number.

It is literally freefall time.

I'd argue that, but who am I... :S

Doesn't count for USPA...

GOOD! Hope it stays that way. ;)

... but definitely counts towards whether someone has experience in freefall

Yes, I'd agree with that. I've meet some tunnel rats that had some wicked freefall... real freefall, that comes from jumping from an aircraft... with very few jump numbers... but they also lacked something important when it comes to real freefall... REMEMBERING TO OPEN A PARACHUTE BEFORE IMPACT. :D Most all of them had their AFF jumpmasters pull for them on their first several AFF jumps.

Don Kellner may have more jumps. but ask how many are above 4000. Also how many are solos.
Bill Dause has 500 + hours in free-fall and jumps with anybody. I am proud of him
To me the comparison is like a guy playing Putt-Putt golf 3700 times and saying he is as good as Tiger Woods [last count 30+ skydives too]
Ya but Don got it through the wind-mill for a hole in one back in 1996

Don Kellner may have more jumps. but ask how many are above 4000. Also how many are solos.
Bill Dause has 500 + hours in free-fall and jumps with anybody. I am proud of him
To me the comparison is like a guy playing Putt-Putt golf 3700 times and saying he is as good as Tiger Woods [last count 30+ skydives too]

You've obviously never been on a hop-n-pop load with Don Kellner. His spots always keep it interesting for the rest of us exiting the plane behind him. :P

You'd better let Jay Stokes know that his record jumps don't count either, since they were below 4,000'. [:/]

Lance

It is literally freefall time.

I'd argue that, but who am I... :S

I'd debate that too, but stop short of arguing. If we are going to get literal, to satisfy the fall in freefall, I'd say there has to be falling, not floating.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I'd debate that too, but stop short of arguing. If we are going to get literal, to satisfy the fall in freefall, I'd say there has to be falling, not floating.

Well, it's also not called the USPA for nothing.

Thanks all of you guys
This thread was not about quality jumps...anyway what is a quality jump?
Leksrom10k ...if I read you well Cheryl Stearn is a nobody because she always jump from a lower altitude,with a lot of up and pops and not that much freefall time for the amounts of jumps!!
Don and Bill are both exceptionnals skydivers since many years.
Don jumps , open his parachute and land 37000 times. That's make him my # 1 ...but Bill is not far behind and still # 1 in freefall time.
Piisfish... Yes Eric is an outstanding skydiver like Dan B.C. and some few others with 20 to 25k skydives. But you have to admit that 37k jumps is a totally different league .

Thanks

Richard

PS I hope to have the chance to meet those two exceptionnals skydivers in freefall one of those days.
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.

Hey what about wingsuit jumps? Freefall is at least doubled for every jump.

A quote from Bill Dause while doing my 5th hop n' pop of the day. "The sport of skydiving is in freefall. How many jumps do you have? me - about 300. bill- and you dont know how to land a parachute yet?"

Hey what about wingsuit jumps? Freefall is at least doubled for every jump.

A quote from Bill Dause while doing my 5th hop n' pop of the day. "The sport of skydiving is in freefall. How many jumps do you have? me - about 300. bill- and you dont know how to land a parachute yet?"

Maybe the question should be comparing....Skydiving & Parachute Jumping.;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I would say that when you get another 26,000 jumps under your belt
you can compare Dons achievement to putt putt golf if you
still feel like it.
__

My mighty steed

still feel like it.

And I would say, when you get 36 more years and 11,967 more jumps under YOUR belt...Lekstrom10k might listen to your opnion.;):D:D:D

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

still feel like it.

And I would say, when you get 36 more years and 11,967 more jumps under YOUR belt...Lekstrom10k might listen to your opnion.;):D:D:D

Since 37,000 jumps doesn't impress him, it wont matter how many jumps I accumulate.

Regardless, I didn't presume to judge him. He did presume to judge Don.

Totally different.
__

My mighty steed