WI-Fly

What is it called when you jump without your parachute attached then put it on as you fall?

I think it's called the Zoolander.

I thought it was a Thomas Edison... :S

Jump without your chute.... chuteless jump!!!!!!!!! Heck, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Actually, Greg did it the safe way, harness under the jumpsuit attached to the rig which was deployed before he puts it on. Of course "safe" is a relative term.

A real "chuteless jump" was done by Bill Cole up here in the great white north way back in the day.
Seen pics, freaky as hell! One has him coming in to dock sans gear, old time body position! Well, freaky to us young punks.

CSPA was real pissed! :o

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Didn't really claim he was the first, just that he did one, I saw pics and that the governing body got pretty bent out of shape.

I'm curious how many jumpers have actually done a chuteless jump?
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I think Greg also deployed his shute then just hung on to the harness and then did it that way with his feet, not 100% sure if it was him but I know someone has done it.

yes, he did but as others have said, and I've heard as well, he had a harness under his jumpsuit (jeans and a long sleeve shirt) which was attached to the rig.

If you watch the "Good Stuff" video by Joe Jennings the never actually show Greg Gasson transistioning from hanging in the harness to wearing the harness.

now mind you this doesn't make his stunt any less cool in my eyes (nor should it) and I'm sure its still extremely dangerous.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Besides the smart ass who will say stupid,

"idiocy" then. And not cool in any way. Gasson didn't jump without, it was always attached.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Didn't really claim he was the first

True enough, I didn't say ya did ;), Bill, I think, is more famous for his, then Rod these days.

I'm curious how many jumpers have actually done a chuteless jump?

Are you counting just skydivers, when you say "jumpers"? Or are you meaning anyone who has left an aircraft in flight without a parachute?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Rod Pack did one.

Bill Cole did it twice.

Jimmy Tyler did it twice. There are people on this website who were involved in his jumps.

A Frenchman did it more than once for television and at airshows, using a direct-bag reserve deployed by the jumper holding it once he hooked up. Not sure how many times he got away with it, but the last time he did it, at an airshow, the canopy malled and he went in.

A German did it last year.

(Oh and Wesley Snipes fell out of the hatch of a Porter once without being attached to his tandem master. Yancy Butler had to chase him down, front flip onto his back, then hook up the snaps before she could deploy the canopy.)
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Oh and Wesley Snipes fell out of the hatch of a Porter once without being attached to his tandem master. Yancy Butler had to chase him down, front flip onto his back, then hook up the snaps before she could deploy the canopy.

WOW

The fgirst time was for doing the jump on Aug 20th 1969, and

the second time was for going on television and talking about the "possibility" of what later became known as BASE jumping.

That is what precipitated the 2nd suspension, not the 2nd chuteless jump, which was made on July 20 1972, when I wasnt a member iof CSPA. I

I was allowed to rejoin after the 2nd jump, but they couldnt stand having me go on TV and talk about base jumping before it became common.

I was paid $1500.00 for a 15 minute program, and I guess they didnt like that either.

Ho Hum......

Besides the smart ass who will say stupid, is there an offical name for it and what do you call it and who has done it, if it has been done?

Oh, I'd call it a true leap of faith.

I am aware of an instance around 1990 where (so I was told) someone donned a rig in freefall that was handed to him by another jumper that carried it out of the airplane.

After taking a great deal of grief about it, the two people involved denied it. Given their denial, I will keep their identities to myself - though the Statute of Limitations has certainly expired by now.

However, judging by how pissed off was the pilot and by the reactions of others that claimed to be witnesses - and knowing the culprits - I am convinced that it happened.

Wesley Snipes I am not. If I don't have a parachute on, I'm staying with the airplane.

Blue skies,

Winsor