browncow

airport security opens reserve

if security opened your reserve what would you do,stuff it in a rubbish bag and carry it on or try to repack it and close the container.

First question is why...

An AAD can make it suspicious, but you suppose to have your cypress card.

Has anyone's reserve ever been opened by airport security?

histoy trivia:

I know 1 jumper who's reserve container was cut open with a knife, because of suspicion of coke trafficking. (I believe when he was going to the world championships in venezuela in the 80's)
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

histoy trivia:

I know 1 jumper who's reserve container was cut open with a knife, because of suspicion of coke trafficking. (I believe when he was going to the world championships in venezuela in the 80's)

Let me get this straight. He was suspected of trafficing coke "into" south america? Thats funny!:D

Here
Here
Here

Not common, but not unprecedented, either. I've never had a problem with either checking or carrying on my rig. Of course, I'm a middle-aged woman; I don't really fit any profiles other than "booooooo-ring"

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just flew down to Phoenix (Edmonton--> Calgary--> Phoenix), and had some problems on the way down. We had our Vigil X-ray cards, TSA doccuments, Transport Canada doccuments, and still caught shit. They were about to open both containers up until i begged and pleaded with them not to, and managed to convince them. This happened to us both on our Edmonton to Calgary flight, and our Calgary to Phoenix flight, however, we had no problems on the way back at Phoenix or Calgary. I know of a friend of mine who checked her rig, and she began to get nervous when it never showed up on the baggage carousel at her destination. She eventually found it sitting on the floor near the "specialty baggage" area, with both contiainers open, the reserve p/c lying on the floor with a footprint on it, etc... It was rough. I know it may be more hassle and headache to carry it on, but I'd rather do that and be there if they're going to open it than show up and find it like that.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I know of a friend of mine who checked her rig, and she began to get nervous when it never showed up on the baggage carousel at her destination. She eventually found it sitting on the floor near the "specialty baggage" area, with both contiainers open, the reserve p/c lying on the floor with a footprint on it, etc... It was rough. I know it may be more hassle and headache to carry it on, but I'd rather do that and be there if they're going to open it than show up and find it like that.

Was her rig simply checked as is (I hope not) or was it secured inside of another bag or gear bag?

Be prepared to educate people.

I travelled to Toronto back from Skydive Chicago after getting my tandem rating 2 years ago. The day I flew was the day after the London Al Qaeda bombing. So security was tight.

I brought my rig as carry on luggage. The security guy said he needed to open it. I said very politely, "Would you please check that with your supervisor?" Which he did. No problems were found and I was passed through. I had arrived early to the airport so, to kill some time I went back out of the gate to get some food. The next time through security....I get waved through and I see 5 TSA guys getting the 'parachute inspection' seminar from the supervisor.

Oh and I travelled the whole way on my Quebec birth certificate (no picture). If they asked for photo ID I showed them my Skydiving license. Yeah I was a shit disturber. But, if your polite and don't demand stuff, I ve found everyone is reasonable.

Bill

Be prepared to educate people.

Back in 2005 when I was the S&TA at The Ranch I prepared a document for our members to share with security staff, including the NYPD (they were beginning inspections of carry on bags at train stations and subway stops). The document outlines specific regulations and gives the user a professional way to approach security inspectors. It is also suitable for packing inside a rig bag so inspectors who are checking luggage without the jumper will have an idea of what they are looking at.

I posted the document here on dropzone.com in 2005, and another dz.com poster moved it onto USPA letterhead. It is NOT an official USPA document. I've attached the file as a .pdf.

Anybody is welcome to update it or change it as you see fit. The idea is to give the inspector a better understanding of the regulations that WE operate under, and a means of satisfying their security concerns without opening the rig.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I have yet to travel with my rig. I have a backpack that it would fit into very well, instead of my normal gear tub.

What do you frequently fliers do with more bulky items like helmets? I can't imagine my bonehead would fit very well in any of my suitcases. :D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

For those of you that have carried your rig onto the plane as a carry on, what do you pack the rig inside of that will still fit in an overhead?

I have traveled several times with my rig. I usually don't even put it inside a bag, just carry it over my shoulder. It has never given me a problem. In fact, one of the TSA guys started talking to me about being a rigger in the Air Force.

I think it worries the flight attendants more than anyone. You should of seen this one gals face asking me..."what is THAT for?" :ph34r:
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

In 2004, the TSA supervisor at Columbus, OH told me that a new std operating procedure (2-3 weeks old) requires (not optional) that I unpack both main and reserve for them. He tells me that the August '03 TSA letter is no longer the latest. Of course I am not allowed to see it. Complete bullshit, but don't think it can't happen to you, meaning be prepared to check it instead of carry on.

I think taking a rig on without a gear bag is a bad idea for all of us, because someone might get their panties in a wad, and get security involved because you make them nervous while waiting for your flight. Security might tell the nervous nellie there is nothing to be concerned about, or they more likely will make you check your rig because now a lot of passengers are aware of some security issue - YOU. I don't actually know this has ever happened, but I think it likely it will happen, and the more it happens, the closer we will get to our rigs no longer being allowed as carry-on, because skydivers will be seen as a pain in the ass. In my opinion, when you carry your rig on, you should never want for anyone to know you have it. The entertainment value (the look on their face) of them realizing you have a parachute is not at all worth it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I see your point. The main reason for carrying the rig out of my gear bag is that the gear bag won't get through as carry on. I think that was the point someone else was trying to make. The gear bag is just too big. I have a real fear of letting my rig out of my site when traveling with it. So checking it in would not be an option for me, unless it became the ONLY option.

Edited to add: The best option is for me to get a smaller gear bag for just my rig when I travel so that I can keep it in a bag and out of site.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

If you have to check your rig, and you don't have a gear bag, the only thing you can do is put it inside the really big, thick, clear baggies the ticket agents will have. That sucks because your rig is visible to all, so it is more likely to get unwanted attention from baggage handlers, and the bags aren't very much protection.

A gear bag should add very little in the way of extra bulk. Lots of things are too big to fit into the little plastic test box that all carry on is supposed to fit inside. A gear bag could make the difference, but not likely, I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have found the Canadian officials to incompetent and rather rude to say the least. I have actually been detained because I refused to open my reserve and I refused to give them permission to open it. I had to wait for the supervising officer to get off his break. Once he finished his at least 45 min. "break" he cleared me to go with a magical wave of his hand. I subsequently missed my flight >:(. This occurred at YVR, however, I have had trouble at YEG also. As they tried to take my weight belt.

With in the states, I have been questioned, asked to open my main and my reserve. But just ask for the supervisor and it seams to go away. btw It is not in the instruction manual but if you want those "cypress cards" to work you must process them in a shredder first then apply fire.;)

We finally got them to agree to it after we took the rigs out of the gear bags, and spread them out exactly like was on the Vigil card. They kept saying how their xray didn't look anything like the card.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I have in the past just carried my rig into the airport and used my gear bag as a gear bag/suitcase. Other times i've actually checked in both a gear bag and a suitcase. In each instance, probably 3 or 4 times the rig is over my shoulder at the ticket counter already. Have never been stopped, asked questions, or even given the slightest bit of delay at the ticket counter or going through X-ray.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.