bbarnhouse

Skydive Arizona Landing Policy

Has there been any thought to the fact that the landing areas might just not be big enough to safely operate that many aircraft?

What are you doing? Actually thinking to the root of the problem? What's gotten into you?
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

has anyone looked at opening altitudes?
if someone is loading a canopy at 2.0 opens at 3.5k while someone who loads a canopy at 1.0 opens at 2.5k there's going to be a problem.

Good point. So don't be opening a highly loaded canopy at 3.5k, unless part of a planned swooper stack, or headed for different landing areas, or alone.

These rules will apply to everyone at Skydive Arizona. I know I will take heat for this, but I have a thick skin to absorb it and I believe this action in necessary. I will be in contact with other DZOs and hope to convince them to follow suit.

While I hope Larry's voice on controlling patterns and reducing collisions is heeded, I hope he doesn't intend to simply convince other DZO's to ban turns >180. It's entirely possible that others could modify their infrastructure and procedures to separately accomodate both traditional and high-performance patterns. If another DZ can pull that off safely, I'd applaud them regardless of the economics (e.g. attracting a larger staff as a result).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

has anyone looked at opening altitudes?
if someone is loading a canopy at 2.0 opens at 3.5k while someone who loads a canopy at 1.0 opens at 2.5k there's going to be a problem.

Good point. So don't be opening a highly loaded canopy at 3.5k, unless part of a planned swooper stack, or headed for different landing areas, or alone.

This is incorrect. 3500 feet is less likely to cause conflicts for the higher performance canopy pilot than 2500 feet because it provides more options.

While a small canopy with an agressive planform can go much faster than one loaded arround a pound per square foot with a less tapered planform and loose the first thousand feet in fifteen seconds, in full brakes it can't descend any slower than the moderately loaded canopy in full flight.

When the small canopy starts out higher, it can land either before (passing above pattern altitude) or after (waiting until the large canopy has landed) the larger one.

When it starts out at the same altitude it's going to land first. If the smaller canopy pilot exits from a turbine aircraft after a number of 2-4 person groups (4-way and typical freefly group sizes) and finishes snivelling at 2500 feet, he's going to pass the larger one which exited early in the jump run during his speed inducing landing maneuver.

The number of freefall groups that can separate the canopies before this happens shrinks when the pilots under larger canopies try to have fun under canopy by spiraling.

Everyone dumping at 3500 feet regardless of canopy size would improve the situation more.

Steve, that was NOT helpful!!!!!

You know that the clean safe air is low :S
get on the ground and get out of the way!!!!!

Let the young ones die trying to get to our age!!!

Look BEFORE and DURING the turn, BSBD
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Has there been any thought to the fact that the landing areas might just not be big enough to safely operate that many aircraft?

The desert dust is very destructive to gear, perhaps the lure of that grass is just too much for some? The available landing area is of course vast.

The new policy at Eloy seems very reasonable.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have jumped at skydive AZ every year of my career so far...

I did not this year due to the issues of people all trying to land in one small landing area....

I would love to see them extend the landing area, I think it woudl alleveate the current situations...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

What do you gain by being in ff below 3.5?

Around 25 seconds of enjoyable freefall, assuming I follow BSRs.

But I also hook a 270 riser turn around 200 feet, not 600+ :P

Different strokes for different folks.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

What do you gain by being in ff below 3.5?

Around 25 seconds of enjoyable freefall, assuming I follow BSRs.

But I also hook a 270 riser turn around 200 feet, not 600+ :P

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm just assuming this post is fishing for a reaction cause this is just dumb. Even in a wingsuit, you'd be hard pressed to get 25 seconds of ff time between 3.5 and 2. Then if you're pulling at 2k in a wingsuit, that's a whole different discussion. Of course a 270 riser turn at 200 feet leaves you all kinds of options too. This looks an awful lot like generating controversy for the sake of controversy. Good luck with all that though![:/]
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I jump a F111 7cell loaded at 0.6 freepacked with clamps (reserve type packjob so it will fit in the container) with a large hole mesh slider with a packjob that has me going from pitch to fully open in under 200 feet. And it's not very hard for someone like me to maintain a 45mph fallrate in a wingsuit either :)
My point was that there's a large range of things we do in the sky that are fun, some things other people don't understand. You pretty much proved that point. It's up to us to determine our own level of safety with what we do.

With regards to all the canopy stuff, I either get out low or get out way last. I like being the only canopy around.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ