freeflyit

CYPRESS???

I know this is kind of a contovercial subject so there's no right or wrong here but I just want to hear what you guys have to say about the topic.

So here's the deal: I'm getting a rig with no cypress and am going to jump it to the max. It's a personal decision and I think is more mental than anything.

I just want to hear some things the more experienced jumpers have to say about this issue. Tell me, what do u think?

I don't mean to be telling you guys what to say or anything but just for this purpose, please pick a side...don't flip-flop: ither you are for it or against it, and why?

>please pick a side...

?? The only side that really matters is yours.

AAD's are great backups. They're not needed to skydive safely. If you want to not get one, and you show good judgement, are attentive to details, know your limits etc then no problem. If you don't do those things, you're going to have problems. (True even if you DO have an AAD by the way.)

I've got 2 AADs.. one for each rig.. haven't needed either of them yet. I jump the same whether they are in my rigs or out for service. Somehow, though, I kind of like having them there. There are lots of ways to kill yourself skydiving.. this is just a safeguard against one of them. It's cheap (when factored in per jump) insurance against an unlikely but possible occurance so why not? ;)

chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I don't like jumping without one. I look at it this way. If you have an available safety item why not take advantage of it. Yeah you could drive without a seat belt but even if you are a good driver forces beyond your control might make it necessary to use a seat belt. Also just because that item is there doesn't mean you are in the clear. Again it comes back to what your comfortable with.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

> If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Not really true. Most cypres "saves" are dual deployments; dual deployments can injure and/or kill skydivers. There have been a few cases where cypreses made things worse, and jumpers would have been better off without them.

There are two sides to every decision.

If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again. ;)

That is great... and DEAD on. :|:ph34r:

Agreed!

I am very altitude aware and not too concerned that I will ever forget to pull, but I also am learning that you cannot foresee all the situations you can wind up putting yourself in up there. You never know until you are there.

Before I started skydiving, I remember a primetime news program did a story on a man who jumped out of the plane and hit the tail. It knocked him out. His AAD saved his life. I'm sure this is not the only story of this kind. I think I'll jump with an AAD.
Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up.
- A Chinese Proverb

I know this is kind of a contovercial subject so there's no right or wrong here but I just want to hear what you guys have to say about the topic.

So here's the deal: I'm getting a rig with no cypress and am going to jump it to the max. It's a personal decision and I think is more mental than anything.

I just want to hear some things the more experienced jumpers have to say about this issue. Tell me, what do u think?

I don't mean to be telling you guys what to say or anything but just for this purpose, please pick a side...don't flip-flop: ither you are for it or against it, and why?

It really is like you said a "personal decision". I have never owned an AAD of any kind. The only jumps I have done with one were student jumps and the few times I have rented gear. That said it is a risk that I am willing to accept. You need to ask your self if you are willing to accept the risk of not having an AAD.

>please pick a side...

?? The only side that really matters is yours.

AAD's are great backups. They're not needed to skydive safely. If you want to not get one, and you show good judgement, are attentive to details, know your limits etc then no problem. If you don't do those things, you're going to have problems. (True even if you DO have an AAD by the way.)

Actually if you have an AAD then you need to not only know your own limits, but also the limits of your AAD. As you said earlier they can cause problems such as a Two Out situation. Plenty of people consider an AAD to be a switch on and forget device. That just isn't true. It needs to be taken into account on every jump.

I like to jump with an AAD, probably 99% of my jumps I have had one. I've done plenty of jumps without one and it's never been a big deal, but I certainly feel more comfortable knowing that I've got a back-up.

I fully realize that shit could go down and me having an AAD might not save me.. but I do know a few people who are alive today because of an AAD and I knew one person who should have been alive today.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

dual deployments can injure and/or kill skydivers. There have been a few cases where cypreses made things worse, and jumpers would have been better off without them.

There are two sides to every decision.

You are right. I was on a jump with someone who died with two canopies out and a fired Cypres cutter. (Intentionally not saying the Cypres killed him, because I would get flamed - and also intentionally not saying the cause of death - so I don't get flamed)

Airbags in cars kill people too. I have my airbags turned on and my rig has an AAD...:)
This is a highly personal decision, but market trends and fatality reports indicate a bias towards one side of the arguement.

At about $11.75 a month (assuming you bought a CYPRESS 2 without the separate battery replacement or an original CYPRES from a low-markup dealer when the Dollar was stronger than the Deutsche Mark) having one is cheap insurance.

OTOH, I doubt I'll get arround to buying one for my accuracy rig and the one in my wing suit rig is currently out-of-date and uninstalled.

You need to figure out your risk threshold and make your own decision.

Yea 4 sure,, I just can't afford one right now (even though u just explained how cheap it is but I can't pay up front because all I can afford is a used rig). I think that I want to skydive bad enough that I'll do it without a cypress. All my jumps have been with a cypress and I know shit can hit the fan in a fraction of a second. This one guy explains risk like this, "it's what actually happens, versus all the possible things that can." And yea, I'm willing to lay it down.

Thanks for all the responses by the way, greatly appreciated...helps me think.

Like I said, it helps me think. It's interesting to hear the views people have on it. You see, just cuz you make a decision it doesn't mean you have to stick to it forever...the more information you get the more you expand your mind. You can't think of everything yourself and there's always something that someone else says that you wouldn't think of. By all means, sorry if I somehow offended you by asking. Next time I'll be sure to ask your oppinion whether it's worthy enough to be asked.