5w0rdsharky

Dummy Pulls

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if they went through a stage of missing there Dummy Pull handle's on S/L course. And how they got over it. Ive missed my last two becuase the handle doesnt feel like it does on the ground. silly I know!!!

Thanks in advance

:$

Sharky
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Have you talked to your instructor? What did they say?

Does the plastic of the handle melt once you take off? Is that why it doesn't feel the same? Or do you mean it doesn't feel like it is in the same position? Without any more detail I guess the best advice would be to slow down and take your time. There's a lot going on as the static-line deploys your parachute and you'll be moving around even with the best exit position. Don't assume the handle is going to be where you think it is and don't snatch and pull as if it was. Maybe start working up from the bottom of your container first until you find the handle. But please discuss it with your instructor first.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I didn't get to my First Freefall jump until jump #11, I too screwed up the dummy pulls.

All I can offer is breath, relax, don't rush. Rushing was my problem, trying to grab it quick. For me being methodical and not rushing was the key.

As with all advice to newbies the standard advice, always talk to your instructors before using any advice from the internet. No matter how old and wise I might be, I don't know you and you don't know me :)

"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I missed some DPs too... I think pretty much everyone does.

A good bit of advice I got from my instructor was this: "You're not going to beat the canopy opening, so don't try. Smooth and relaxed is the best way..."

Remember, they don't really care that you reach and pull in half a second, but more that you maintain a good arch, keep looking up and recover well.

Relax and smile, it'll come. :)

Well, it's been a while since I went thru the SL course, but as I recall I was drilled to 'Arch, LOOK, reach, and pull'. Of course, I'm this is when there was an actual ripcord up front attached to the right side main lift web...

Discuss your problems and/or concerns with your instructors; they have the answers and have seen this before.

Disclaimer: I'm no instructor, but I am a smartass. :P

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

take an open palm and try to palm the middle of your container, then drag towards DP, you'll hit it every time

edit> you might be trying to grab just the handle with your fingers......this is when the palm thing will work

You should always be going for your ripcord with an open hand.

Dave
Ready...Set...Go..!

SkydiveSwakop

Well, it's been a while since I went thru the SL course, but as I recall I was drilled to 'Arch, LOOK, reach, and pull'.

And we, on the other hand, were specifically taught NOT to look ... which is, I guess, an example of why there are all these "talk to your instructor" comments here.

and re yoink:

A good bit of advice I got from my instructor was this: "You're not going to beat the canopy opening, so don't try. Smooth and relaxed is the best way..." Remember, they don't really care that you reach and pull in half a second, but more that you maintain a good arch, keep looking up and recover well.

To us, it was emphasised that we were practising for a first freefall and that it had to be done correctly on the count for a 3-second delay, and not to rush it sooner.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I, actually today, missed both of my first 2 dummy pulls. I think the problem for me was going wayyyy too fast. On the ground I practiced it really nice, slow and smooth. Arch. Reach. Pull. However, up on the strut and shortly after letting go it was like I put my hands into fastforward. The extra speed wound up just making me slap at my belly/side without finding the handle. After two slaps with no luck and the canopy inflating above me I gave up.

My instructors told me exactly what was said above, to not try to beat the canopy opening. I just need to drill that into my head and actually do it when it counts. Its just a bit different in the air than on the ground.

Good luck.

I never missed a dummy pull and I credit my Instructor for that.
She made me practice actual dummy pulls on the ground 150 times.
GroundChuck said you can practice it on the ground or in the air but it's cheaper to practice it on the ground.
I believe practice is the key.
Proper Practice Prevents Poor Performance
T

After two slaps with no luck and the canopy inflating above me I gave up.

I was told never to give up .... they said what would you do if you didn't find your real PC ? I said try again .

Um.. if you don't find your real PC you have EPs, and a reserve. You are not meant to keep trying to find your real PC till you hit the ground. [:/]
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Keep in mind that I'm not an instructor but this is what I was told to do by mine when I was doing dummy pulls. More than likely your container is already open by the time your reaching for your practice pilot chute, therefore it's not in the same place as it was on the ground. Reach lower towards your leg and slide your had upwards until you feel your handle.
As I said before, I'm not an instructor though.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

Some good advice here guys. Thanks. Good to see im not the only one thats done this. Dont feel so bad now. lol. Didnt get to jump at the weekend.. High winds and rain!! Good old England!! [:/]

Regards

Sharky

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

Yeah I mean its not in the same place. It all happens very fast and I cant find it.

Where are they putting the dummy handle on you? Right leg strap or BOC?

"Back in the day" when most all were on the right leg strap, they'ed teach you that if you were having problems finding the rip cord handle to place your hand on your right leg strap and follow it up to your hip / where the rip cord handle should be.

With BOCs, I've seen instructors teach a similar technique where they tell students having trouble finding the handle to slap themselves on the ass, then follow up to the bottom of the rig and then to the outside rig corner where the PC handle (hacky) should be.

Back when I used to put S/L students out and would teach them PRCPs, I'd also remind them that its not a race. They don't have to complete the PRCP before the S/L opens their main (direct bag), because basically, you can't. So, do it deliberately, but don't rush.

Call up Joey at Skydive California City, he's so good at PRCPs, it makes it look almost real!!
:P

Keep in mind that I'm not an instructor but this is what I was told to do by mine when I was doing dummy pulls. More than likely your container is already open by the time your reaching for your practice pilot chute, therefore it's not in the same place as it was on the ground. Reach lower towards your leg and slide your had upwards until you feel your handle.
As I said before, I'm not an instructor though.

Yeah thats good advice. I didn't have many problems with Dummy pulls, missed one, but I would spend time fumbling cos the container was opening, By putting your palm on your leg, you can slide it in behind the opening flaps, often where the dummy handle is hiding. But practice is key. It may seems stupid but standing on the ground practicing it 100 times for 20 mins or so before every jump with dummy rigs, while doing the actions and shouting as loud as you can, thats the best way forward. Me and 2 friends practiced with dummy rigs before every jump and none of us messed up a dummy pull more than once.

Discuss this with your instructors:

When you do the dummy pull the container is empty. The bottom of the container has a different shape than it had, when the parachute was still inside. So the handle will be somewhere else than it was when you practiced with packed parachute. Therefore use the big open hand to search the area where the handle went missing.

Maybe you could try to do some ground tests with the parachute out of the container. Then you'll know what it feels like when you're playing find-the-handle with an empty container.

On the other hand this will not prepare you for the real thing, where the container contains a parachute.

On the third hand neither does the dummy pull, for the reasons stated above.

I seem to be running out of hands here.

The real pull after 5 seconds of freefall is easier than the dummy pull, since you're not being shaken by the opening parachute, and the handle is (almost) where it was, when you practised just before entering the plane.