EDYDO

Jump Clothing and Fire

Heck Ed, why should we think more about it when traveling by plane? I'm not sure why I should be more worried about fire in a plane than fire at home. My guess is that even skydivers face a greater risk of fire at home than in an airplane.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Yep, fire can happen anywhere, but there are times in a plane that you can't just leave, under 1000' for example. Sometimes I jump smoke and I always wear cotton on those jumps.

I once spoke with a burn MD and he said that sometimes serious burns due to melting fabric would have been little more that an irritation if a natural fabric had been worn.

Paste from another website:

"Wear clothes made of natural fabrics such as cotton, wool, denim, and leather. They offer the best protection. Synthetics may melt when they are heated. "

Ed

If I can't leave the plane and I'm on fire, chances are, I'm going down with the plane and won't survive anyway. My helmet, rig, canopy, hair, and jumpsuit are all combustible, but something suggests that if you're on fire inside the cabin of the aircraft, you're more likely to have greater worries than burning synthetics vs burning natural fabrics.
At that point, I guess I'd prefer to be wearing hemp.:P

Heck Ed, why should we think more about it when traveling by plane? I'm not sure why I should be more worried about fire in a plane than fire at home. My guess is that even skydivers face a greater risk of fire at home than in an airplane.

I'd think generally speaking skydivers, as a group, would be even more likely to face a fire on the ground...But that is of course an after beer-light scenario:P
I got nuthin

***I'd think generally speaking skydivers, as a group, would be even more likely to face a fire on the ground, But that is of course an after beer-light scenario ***

Or it might happen when the King Air your riding in runs off the end of the runway at full speed because it wouldn't rotate due to the pilot leaving the control locks in place and also having a fuel leak making for a fine mist of Jet-A that then burst in to a ball of flame at the point of impact with terrain....... (here is a hint for ya, Jet-A is explosive in a fine mist form, but not in a solid)

Think it can happen to you too? Ask the folks over in VA who lived thru it and have all the burns ED was talking about!

I think ED brings up a very good point that many NEW & OLD jumper don't think about when ordering a jumpsuit and or planing for an AC emergancy, or till they find themselfs having to get out of a crashed jumpship in flames.....Just some food for thought for ya!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

What can we do about it though? I jump the fabrics that are in my jump suit for specific characteristics. Aside from getting a jump suit lined with some fire retardant material it is out of my hands right?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The point of my post is to make you aware of the fact, one that a lot of people don't think about till you find it melted to you and ED, I think is trying to bring this to light as well??? While I can understand some posters attempt a humor in the thread, it is no laughing matter, yet one you need to understand should ever find yourself in or around a burning aircraft, jump plane or not.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you have spandex on the lower arms and in the lat areas just wear a long sleeve cotton shirt under your jumpsuit and a pair of long pants. Layering works. Just Nomex won't stop radiant heat from scorching your skin. Gloves and full face helmets will protect you very well also, and turn your back towards the flames and let your rig absorb the heat. And pray the smoke won't kill you first...

Warnings: Avoid wearing synthetic fabrics while traveling by plane. If a fire breaks out in the cabin, these materials will melt to your skin.

Ever think about the fabrics you wear when jumping ?

Ed

Haha, and don't forget to have a machete with you in case your plane crashes in the jungle. It will help you to defend yourself from wild animals :S

How would you protect yourself if alien spaceship attacked the plane? (Another realistic scenario).

(Another realistic scenario)

Your airplane flies on noncombustible fuel with engines that remain so cold that they never can ignite anything in case of a crash?

Ours doesn't... :S

It makes you wonder what that firewall between the engine and the passenger cabin is for that you find in almost all single engine GA aircraft and why almost everywhere in the world fire extinguishers are mandatory in those aircraft.

IMHO this is a real and serious problem that doesn't go away by just ignoring it. (which isn't to say that I have a solution for it...)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

> If a fire breaks out in the cabin, these materials will melt to your skin.

True. However, if you are into things you can do to keep yourself safer (excluding the freefall and canopy rides) there are many cheaper and more effective things you can do:

-Wear a full face helmet all day. I've seen several black eyes and bloody noses (and one broken nose!) from not wearing a helmet while creeping.

-Wear gloves all day. A woman at JFTC almost lost a finger to a creeper accident.

-Stop eating meat, cheese and processed foods. There have been several fatal heart attacks that have killed skydivers over the past few years.

-Stop smoking and drinking, obviously.

-Carry a self-rescue kit that will allow you to rappel out of trees and whatnot. Useful for ski lifts too!

-Use sunscreen religiously.

this thread reminds me of a debate that raged in CANPARA Magazine 25 or 30 years ago.
When fashion changed from loose-fitting Balloon suits made of flammable acrylic fabric - to snug-fitting, slow-burning, cotton suits - the really cool skydivers bragged about how much safer they were.

They were noticeably silent when fashion shifted to even tighter-fitting suits made of nylon fabric a few years later.

Sometimes I enjoy leaning back and laughing at fashion trends!