SLOfreefall

Bandit Jumps

What are the penalties involved with getting caught making a bandit jump? I imagine the pilot could risk losing a pilots license, but what could the jumpers be charged with? Also, it seems like it would be difficult to identify the plane/pilot that dropped the jumpers as it would be hard for a person to recognize the plane at that altitude.

Do a modified Bandit jump. File a Notam and have the pilot contact the controlling agency just don't have permission for the landing area.Unless it is a large gathering that would require a waiver or creates a hazard to those on the ground the pilot should not get in any trouble.Jumpers could be charged with trespass.Maybe the BASE guys could fill you in on that.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Skydiver could at least get charged with tresspassing depending on where he landed and if he didn't have permission. If he injures anyone including himself, things could get a bit more ugly.

Determining the pilot/aircraft that made the drop could be a real issue if the skydiver doesn't squeel. However, depending on the location, it -may- be fairly trivial for the authorities to figure it out. For instance, in SoCal if somebody wanted to make a really big deal out of it and knew what to look for and where to go to look for it, I'm guessing it could be done.

Let's say that the some minor government offical were giving a speech and some skydiver decided to do a bandit demo with a flag to protest. If somebody wanted to make a big stink, I'm almost certain they'd be able to contact the SoCal TRACON, save the radar tapes and at some point figure out where the aircraft came from. You'd have a tough time pinning it on a specific pilot, but if he left from a towered airport you'd know the tail number. If it were a private airplane you'd know who to blame and if it was a rental, I'm sure the FBO would tell the government so as to get them off their backs.

I think making a bandit jump is totally doable quasi-safe for the pilot, but he'd want to think of a bunch of stuff to cover his ass.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What sort of people in the general population would know that it is against the law? Skydivers, maybe some pilots? If I saw people under canopy while I was say... playing golf, I surely wouldn't call the authorities.

I inquire about this purely out of curiosity.

Also,

Are there laws that affect paragliders about where they can and where they can not fly? I see paragliders quite regularly at various public locations.

If you are going to do it make sure the pilot is OK with the drop site...
There is a pilot locaed in your area that does biplane tours out of Pismo...
He let us do a bandit jump from it but he wanted to make sure we did it in a non disclosed location...
The original idea was to land on Pismo, but the park rangers were not into it since some local bird happened to be in mating season...

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

If I saw people under canopy while I was say... playing golf, I surely wouldn't call the authorities.

You might if you were the grounds keeper and they just left a big swoop divot in a putting green.

Or if it were a "private" hoity-toity golf course and they just decided to get pissy because they didn't want you messing with the high priced members.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What are the penalties involved with getting caught making a bandit jump?

Maybe the BASE guys could fill you in on that.

...in your area...Pismo...

Hmmm. Bandit jumps. Hmmm. SLO. A topic near and dear to my heart, since I make bandit jumps there pretty much every time I visit my parents...

I know of one "near" bust in SLO county. The security guards (they weren't cops) just pretty much shrugged and let us go.

In general, my experience has been that the less common parachuting is in the area, the more the authorities are going to look at you like you just landed in a flying saucer and have little green antenna sticking out of your head. In your area, parachuting isn't very common.

In general, if the folks who spot you aren't real police (and sometimes if they are) you have a real good chance of convincing them that you really are legit--and driving away before they wise up.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

$50.00 Civil penalty in 1969 for the jumpers. Pilot would have been subject to license suspension or revocation if he were identified (or if he even had a license). No first hand knowledge here!;)

(However today if you opened over a SAC base you'd probably be shot down.)
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

I have been whitness to many bandit jumps, well alot of bandit jumps I guess and I know there are guys out there that are going to get mad at a few of us bad apples.. but man they are so private most of the time.
I own a powered parachute and get to jump from it from time to time, not often enough though!
99% of the jumps are done at our home field and its in such a remote area that it is of no concern, espically when a powered parachute is flying over head.
Ultralights,gliders and PPC's are all subject to laws and have rules as any other flying craft, very similar to parachute rules.
No flight zones, min alt's and the like.
Just be carefull
www.greenboxphotography.com

Bandit jumps in the boonies: who cares?
Bandit jumps in heavily populated areas are bad karma - like breaking and exiting to do a BASE jump.

It is relatively easy to track airplanes through controlled airspace and the FAA will be all over the pilot faster than skydivers on free beer. Nowadays a suspension can end a commercial flying carreer.

In the worst case scenario, bandit jumpers face heavy fines and jail time. Just ask the bandit who jumped into a major-league baseball game a few years back.

Also, with the current paranoia about terrorism, it is not very bright to scare men with guns.

Bandit demo jumps are so old-school because they give us all a bad name.

I have to agree with Rob on this. Things were different years ago. It's not that difficult to get the required paper work and waivers to make the jump legal and enjoyable for all. Too many times the jump is made by inexperienced jumpers and things can go bad quickly resulting in a bad rap for the sport and worse, serious injuries to the participant.

Not to mention the legal repercussions.
GW685,D3888,C5052,SCS843

What sort of people in the general population would know that it is against the law? Skydivers, maybe some pilots? If I saw people under canopy while I was say... playing golf, I surely wouldn't call the authorities.

People who don't usually see parachutes might well call the authorities as they may beleive you have been forced to exit the aircraft due to mechanical problem etc and they would feel they were doing you a favour getting an ambulance etc.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Let's take this a step further and say that someone wanted to jump into a lakefront recreational park along the shore of Lake Michigan in a certain large US city. There is no special event at the time. Assuming that the alert level does not restrict pilots below 3500 or 3000 feet, my take is that the park district or the city may get mad. If I thought that neither of these would be a problem, I'd try when the weather warmed up. Oh well.[:/]
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I think I could live with a trespassing ticket or whatever they might throw my way, but I would be more concerned about my whuffo pilot friend who would have more riding on it than myself. I could keep my own mouth shut about the origin of my jump, but I am curious if the local ATC would be able to check their radar or something and say "that was plane #___ and the pilot is ____".
Jumping at the DZ is great, but I think a drop into town (or the outskirts) at least once would be better!

It might not be legal or smart but it gives you a really good feeling. My best jump ever was a bandit jump. I was in Brazil and the airport was relatively near a football(SOCCER) stadium. There was a game going on and I asked a friend to open higher and land in the the stadium with me. He said yes but he decided not to later on the dive. As planned I opened higher and went towards the stadium, as I made the last turn on top of the spectators everyone stud up and cheered!!! I landed on the middle of the field and everybody was cheering for me. You can't imagine how I felt!!! I ran out of the field and was taken to a room where they asked me many questions involving what had happened. I said there was skydiving activity at the airport and the wind blew me over, and between the street and the stadium I had to pick the stadium for my safety. They said I was right and let me go. It was GREAT!!! Don't think it would work here though. Next day my picture was on the sports column of that city. I have it framed!! hehe

It might be just me or are you being sarcastic??
Just thought I'd tell my story.
You don't have to believe. Didn't even ask you to.
I know what happened.

I sure didn't read any sarcasm in that?! I think your story's awesome too and would love to do it! Me, I've done a few 'unofficial' jumps into parks and things near friends' homes, but nothing with a massive cheering crowd (though I have had the occasional kid asking for autographs :ph34r:)

"When I was growing up, I wanted to be an astronaut. Later, reality set in and I had to settle for being a skydiver." - Bryan

I wonder just how many of us there are for whom that quote is absolutely true? :D

nothing to see here

It might be just me or are you being sarcastic??
Just thought I'd tell my story.
You don't have to believe. Didn't even ask you to.
I know what happened.

no.. I wasn't being sarcastic at all.. I think that is an incredible story. I always look at landing off as a chance to do a demo and would love to do one that cool.

blue ones !

D 27808