FireMedicJumper

Young skydiver meets old rig

20 packed and ready to jump and there are parts for another 5 or 6, when the owners of other rigs are here there are 30 rigs total to jump. Many posters here have seen or jumped some of the rigs. The last big jump we did was 2004 Richmond Boogie we dropped 19.

It's getting hard to find that many stupid fuckers willing to jump that old shit.:P But really it's not as bad as many will have you think. Landing aren't that bad, I get stand up's a lot, not always but a lot of the time.

Most of the canopies I have are very nice with low jump numbers and are like new.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

what are the openings like on that old gear?

I like the PC. I could even stand it up with perfect weather. (of course that was 20 years and 80 lbs ago)

The openings were ok but I did not have anything else to compare it to in those days other than my 28 foot lopo. The PC was an old Golden Knights club rig. I don't know how I was able to buy it but I did and put about 60 jumps on it. I have since given it to a group out west and they are rebuilding it. I would love to see it in the air again.........................................................................................................from the ground:$
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The PC was an old Golden Knights club rig. I don't know how I was able to buy it but I did and put about 60 jumps on it. I have since given it to a group out west and they are rebuilding it.

You sent it to me and it is still awaiting the repairs, some stupid rigger tore the living shit out of it doing a "pull test" and fucked it up real good. We will have to replace many gores and I have been waiting to find another y&B one to use for the replacement panals, I might just have to use F-111 or zero P, but I would really want it back to orginal. So in other words some one ruined a good MK-1 by not knowing what the hell they were doing.

And for you new riggers out there taffta will tear real easy if there is a little hole or small tear already, that don't mean it's rotten! I don't think many these days even know what sun rot looks like.

It's hard to look like you are having fun when the whole time you are thinking "I'm gonna die". I'm glad he jumped it. So few people have any interest these days. And, moreover, I am glad he jumped it at Raeford.
If anyone knows MEL, I believe he still loans out his US Team Para Commander. Same thing just in the US Team Red, White and Blue.

Would you agree that it isn't a good idea to be so retro to use pack opening bands? I remember the hook ends on them having a reputation for snagging pilot chutes. Perhaps the hook ends were modified/covered on the original poster's rig so they wouldn't be a snag problem.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Would you agree that it isn't a good idea to be so retro to use pack opening bands?

Nope I wouldn't agree, would tell you that you need to make sure the hook is tight so it won't "unhook" on deployment and snag a pc, and there for stay's put to do it's job and open the pack. The older style POB's are easier to "crimp" down and then re-open then the newer style. But if they are used correct there is little risk of a snag.

While I have jumped a few containers without POB's and it will work fine without, they tend to need a good elbow slap or at least a good over the shoulder check.

I remember the hook ends on them having a reputation for snagging pilot chutes.

Yes they have that reputation. There are many things these old rigs have that are not common on modern rigs and that is why if a person wants to jump that old shit, it is best to seek out advice from those who know what the hell their doing and have been using the gear for a number of years and working on it, I don't advise that some young whippersnapper who finds some old round rig in the dz rigging loft to just dust it off and pencil pack the wart and go jump it.

Every mass all round jump we do at the Richmond Boogie, each and every jumper is given a total gear check by more then one person, the final gear check before going to manifest is done by Steve Stewart. This is after gear checks by the likes of Roger Humphries, Don Brewer, Greg Baliey and myself. Each jumer get's least 3 good checks before boarding the AC's, but it is really more like 10. All of the names above have lot's of round jumps, yet they still get the gear checks like everyone else and then Steve gives the final once over, for one thing a lot of the gear is his in the collection, second of all it is his boogie, and third his kids are jumping the gear too (in the group photo fore ground is John stewart, but we're all his kids). No one want's to have anyone bounce ever! And we dam sure don't want anyone to go in at the boogie on a round jump! The all round jump has been going on for, well this year would be the 20th year, however round jumps date back longer then that @ the Richmond boogie.

Those rigs have all been gone over and rebuilt to like new and are maintained and taken care of year round, not some junk dragged out once in a blue moon to use.

Sweet .... that takes me back:P

But you should have got rid the the Altimaster and strapped on an egg timer.

Yeah the altimeter and the shoes were the only things I didn't have old-school replacements of. Fortunately I was able to find an old frap hat, jumpsuit, and goofy goggles!

This was definately a great jump! I'm very glad that PC was there and that they let me jump it!

I'm very glad that PC was there and that they let me jump it!

Welcome to the old school club, so ya ready to go again?

Hi SS

A PC isn't retro enough. Now if you got out some of your double L or the 7TU stuff :)

R.I.P.

How about a 1964 switlik t-10 with sport mods and in a 1967 pioneer sport pack. Looks just like a B-4 but was the first "sport" container, still OD green and looks surplus to the untrained eye. That is as retro as my collection will get.

Cool pic. I couldn't help but notice, though, in the freefall picture, that you didn't have the belly band strap through the carrying handle, at least on the left side. It holds the reserve down better and gets that "false" handle out of the way. More important to do that on front mounts with side handles, though, instead of center pulls.

My son will start jumping this winter. I wonder if he'd want to try some of that old school stuff like mom and dad used to jump.

It was great having you guys up for a week. Wish I could have seen that PC jump. Old man Greg in the Rat Hole has a PC he lets people jump from time to time.

You guys don't be strangers! Come visit any time.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Cool pic. I couldn't help but notice, though, in the freefall picture, that you didn't have the belly band strap through the carrying handle, at least on the left side.

I had no idea that you were supposed to do that, but now I'll know for next time!

As to pre-training: I was given a short (but thorough) briefing on the capewells and reserve. I pulled the capewells a few times to get used to the motions involved, and was reassured that the reserve did indeed have a spring loaded pilot chute.

As much as needed till they feel ready to go, we even have hanging risers to use if anyone want to use them. We have just about every type of release in the collection, shot 1/2, single shots, R-2's, R-3's, and early 3-rings, so it would depend on what rig someone is going to use as to how much training they will need, I wouldn't need to spend much time to train a person to jump my vintage 77 wonderhog that is HD and 3-ring as I would one of the mini systems and shot 1/2's with a wart. What few cutaways we have had were normal, so no real good stories, other then the look on someones face as the passed by about 25 feet away on their back as the wart was deploying, a classic WTF look.

When the boys ready you should make a road trip and then you can take your pick out of the collection as to what you / he would like to jump. We have some very nice choices.:)