tombuch

August Parachutist Cover Photo

Parachutist and Skydiving both pay for the privilage of having "First run, exclusive" photos. If they were not paying then I'd excpect them to have lots of duplicates but since the photographer had to confirm that they were giving the privilage to print them to Parachutist or to Skydiving then I'm disappointed that they failed to inform either publication of their submission to the other one since it just prevented another photo from being printed.

i have a picture published in the august swooping pictorial... first question was ¨can we have exclusivity?¨

even if itºs not payed exclusivity means exclusivity... but without a ferm contract itºs just to be fairplay

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I can understand why people submit to both because you never know what they are going to do.

I think they should reply within a few weeks if they wish to accept or deny the photo so you can move on.

Easy solution. Submit the same pictures LOW RES to both mags. They will request the ones they like in HIGH RES. Now you know what they are going to use. Or at least what is on their "A list"... even then they will probably request more than they need, but at least you've narrowed it down a lot and freed up all the other pictures they didn't request. When they ask for caption information, they're almost definitely going to print it. ;)

Longer description here.

Honestly, if you send a dozen high res pictures at once you are shooting yourself in the foot, because as you said, you don't know what they'll use, and now you took those dozen pictures off of your "available list". And I don't blame them for not replying, they get hundreds of people submitting photos, and I know some people who submit literally hundreds of high res photos at once. If I was them, I would not be replying every time.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

All this being said, while I can appreciate why the publishers want exclusives, but I can understand why people submit to both because you never know what they are going to do.

I think they should reply within a few weeks if they wish to accept or deny the photo so you can move on.

Agreed. None of the skydive pubs are Time magazine, and there aren't those sorts of staffings involved. A couple weeks for an acceptance or rejection is plenty, IMO.
With the broadcast content we string, we get acceptance/rejections within 48 hours FWIW. Television is timely, and content loses value if it waits. Print pubs aren't that fast, but they should be faster than "no response."

[edit] Excellent comments by Matt as well.

Easy solution. Submit the same pictures LOW RES to both mags. They will request the ones they like in HIGH RES. Now you know what they are going to use. Or at least what is on their "A list"... even then they will probably request more than they need, but at least you've narrowed it down a lot and freed up all the other pictures they didn't request. When they ask for caption information, they're almost definitely going to print it.

Makes sense. But, a few things.

#1 - I always give caption info in the e-mail. So I never can use that to judge.

#2 - They always ask immediately, if you don't spell it out clearly, "have you submitted this photo to anyone else?" If you send low-res to more than one rag, and answer "yes" (truthful), won't they just discard the photo because they feel you have less loyalty to them and it is too hard to manage? Or do they accept "first yes, first exclusive" terms?

#3 - If you send to multiple rags to see who will bite, and both do, who do you give it too? This seems a way to get burned from one rag for life. They start to do layout and themes, then you come back and pull your photo because the other rag said yes?

The solution (should parachutist be paying attention)... A file upload system with username and password. The USPA could view the photos, immediately click "reject" on the ones they hate, click "pending" on ones they think they could use in the future, and click "accept" on the ones they wish to print.

The ones not printed could be, if the photographer opts in, published online in a photobook, drawing people to the USPA website.

Automated e-mails and/or just checking the website would establish if you have been rejected or accepted...

Send your comments like this to your USPA Regional Director. I think a system like this would be great but unless someone directly contacts the USPA or Skydiving about this experience has shown they do not read these forums so the feedback never gets to them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Send your comments like this to your USPA Regional Director. I think a system like this would be great but unless someone directly contacts the USPA or Skydiving about this experience has shown they do not read these forums so the feedback never gets to them.

I don't have faith my Regional Direcor would care about something like this, it is just not his style, so if anyone else wishes to send their friends at the USPA a link to my post, they have my permission and request to do it.

#1 - I always give caption info in the e-mail. So I never can use that to judge.

Well then don't. If they aren't giving you the information you want, change the way you ask. By not giving caption information, you force them to make their interest obvious by asking for caption info.

#2 - They always ask immediately, if you don't spell it out clearly, "have you submitted this photo to anyone else?" If you send low-res to more than one rag, and answer "yes" (truthful), won't they just discard the photo because they feel you have less loyalty to them and it is too hard to manage? Or do they accept "first yes, first exclusive" terms?

I've never had the exclusive question posed to low-res submissions (or really at all anymore), but if they do ask that early in the process, then be honest and explain your submission procedure. Low-res pictures are simply "previews" and are not fit to be printed anywhere, so you actually haven't submitted anything really, yet. Once you have a working relationship with the magazine and they know you by name, they will stop asking the question anyway, because they know that you know the rules.

#3 - If you send to multiple rags to see who will bite, and both do, who do you give it too? This seems a way to get burned from one rag for life. They start to do layout and themes, then you come back and pull your photo because the other rag said yes?

READ the post I already linked to here. If you follow that process it is impossible for both mags to request the same pic. That process requires that you wait for one mag's response before you submit to the other. However, if you want to submit to both mags simultaneously, that is possible too, I usually give them both the link to a gallery on my site containing 50-100 pictures... they will each select 5-10 and the chances of overlap are slim. If there is some overlap, I will send one mag 8 pictures instead of the 9 they asked for, and it's no big deal.

The solution (should parachutist be paying attention)... A file upload system with username and password. The USPA could view the photos, immediately click "reject" on the ones they hate, click "pending" on ones they think they could use in the future, and click "accept" on the ones they wish to print.

I'm sure if you design it they'd be happy to try it out. ;)

Automated e-mails and/or just checking the website would establish if you have been rejected or accepted...

Personally, I like the surprise factor. A cover shot wouldn't be nearly as cool if you knew it was coming. Nothing like a published photo in your mailbox on Monday morning to jump-start your week. B| When you take a girl out for dinner, do you ask her before the meal if she'll be sleeping with you later? :P:D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

unless someone directly contacts the USPA or Skydiving about this experience has shown they do not read these forums so the feedback never gets to them.

I happen to know somebody from USPA is reading this thread today. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Most of my friend's ususally do. If they get the right answere they skip dinner....:P

If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I noticed the same thing. The photographer is not supposed to sell the same picture to two publications.

It was my understanding that USPA does not pay for the photos it uses. I don't know about Skydiving Mag. A photographer can sell/distribute their images to whomever they wish.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Parachutist and Skydiving both pay for the privilage of having "First run, exclusive" photos.

Just out of curiosity, does Parachutist pay for pictures published in association with an article? Say for instance, a snapshot with an article was on page 16 of this month's magazine and I was given appropriate credit. Just a theoretical question. ;)

-Jeff.
I can answer this one... Yes it would seem they do.

as I was paid for 7 photos that were submitted in support of an article.

of course I only submitted my photos to parachutist... and in all likely hood I would only submit photos to one magazine or another... not to both...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

]I can answer this one... Yes it would seem they do.

of course I only submitted my photos to parachutist... and in all likely hood I would only submit photos to one magazine or another... not to both...

Thanks.

That's good to know. That is in case I'm ever on page 16 of an August issue of Parachutist. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I can answer this one... Yes it would seem they do.

Thanks.

That's good to know. That is in case I'm ever on page 16 of an August issue of Parachutist. ;)

hahah
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Don't know who took the pic...don't know about all these rules...all I know is I made the cover of Parachutist and the centerfold of Skydiving B|

How can you be on a jump and not even know who's taking your picture?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com