tombuch

August Parachutist Cover Photo

Interesting photo selection of freeflyers chunking an exit from an Otter over Skydive Chicago. It's the same shot used in a centerfold in the August Skydiving Magazine.

...just something I noticed.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

That's the first question Parachutist will ask if you submit a photo. They won't publish a picture that's been submitted to any other publication.

Dave

maybe they were two different files shot milliseconds apart from each other

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Jen: Why not? Not arguing, just want to learn.

Pilotdave is correct...

***That's the first question Parachutist will ask if you submit a photo. They won't publish a picture that's been submitted to any other publication.

I had a photographer submit a picture of me doing my first wingsuit jump. He was kind enough to forward the e-mail that he received from Parachutist to let me know that it was under consideration. That e-mail said that it couldn't be sold anywhere else.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I was wondering where the description and credit of the cover photo is located now that they've revamped the magazine?

It's on the left side of the table of contents.

The prohibition on providing an image to competing magazines is a standard in the publishing industry. In this case both Parachutist and Skydiving endeavor to provide their subscribers with original content. In my experience, both are very clear about that, and prohibit an author/photographer from serving other publications with identical or near identical material. As a reader of both publications I appreciate that effort.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The practice isn't only for the benefit of the readers; there are some very difficult copyright issues that may present in the event of a photo being published in similar magazines/competing magazines. It's no different selling stringer vid to a broadcaster. Unless it's "wide" news, it goes to the highest bidder or first option and nowhere else.
Dunno about the skydiving publications, but in the broadcast/production world, it's a good way to never be published again.

Parachutist is the only mag I know of that does that. Over here, if you have a nice pic it may be published in various countries' magazines, and why not. Usually the photographers do not get paid anything anyway.

I did have a problem with someone once because they tried to "claim" pics for Parachutist when they were supposed to be used on a website which was what the photographers had give me the pics for. I told him to ask the photographers for pics not me, and that I WOULD publish the pics on the website like I was supposed to. Tough luck for Parachutist if they then do not want the pics anymore....
Luckily over here we're not like that :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Parachutist and Skydiving both pay for the privilage of having "First run, exclusive" photos. If they were not paying then I'd excpect them to have lots of duplicates but since the photographer had to confirm that they were giving the privilage to print them to Parachutist or to Skydiving then I'm disappointed that they failed to inform either publication of their submission to the other one since it just prevented another photo from being printed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Parachutist is the only mag I know of that does that. Over here, if you have a nice pic it may be published in various countries' magazines, and why not. Usually the photographers do not get paid anything anyway.

As a writer, I know that most freelance work you sell with exclusive rights to a magazine publisher in the U.S. However, with a few exceptions, most magazines only purchase the domestic rights, and the worldwide rights are yours to keep and do with as you wish.

All of which is to say, it would make sense that "over there" you'll see a pic published in various countries' magazines...but I suspect you won't often see one published in 2 "competing" publications from the same country.

Then again, I'm not sure if the same practices apply to photography publication rights...but it seems reasonable that they would.

Regardless, Parachutist certainly isn't the only mag I know that does that. Rolling Stone, Forbes, Jane, GQ, Details, & Skydiving, to name a few...
Signatures are the new black.

Parachutist and Skydiving both pay for the privilage of having "First run, exclusive" photos.

Just out of curiosity, does Parachutist pay for pictures published in association with an article? Say for instance, a snapshot with an article was on page 16 of this month's magazine and I was given appropriate credit. Just a theoretical question. ;)

-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I was wondering where the description and credit of the cover photo is located now that they've revamped the magazine?

The prohibition on providing an image to competing magazines is a standard in the publishing industry. In this case both Parachutist and Skydiving endeavor to provide their subscribers with original content. In my experience, both are very clear about that, and prohibit an author/photographer from serving other publications with identical or near identical material. As a reader of both publications I appreciate that effort.

Say the photo is of a newsworthy event, such as a world record. I hardly think one publication can claim exclusive rights to the news.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Say the photo is of a newsworthy event, such as a world record. I hardly think one publication can claim exclusive rights to the news.

They can indeed (and often do) purchase exclusive rights to a specific piece of video footage and/or photographs of the event. Why do you think paparazzi chase stars around so much? That's just one particular example.
As the copyright holder of any media, you can decide to sell exclusively, sell in quantity, license for a limited period, or mix n' match. It all depends on the marketability and entertainment/informational value of your footage/content.
Parachutist demands exclusivity as part of their deal. Photographers (I thought) knew this, as it's spelled out pretty cleary in their communications. And, it's very common in the professional world to demand exclusive.
There is the news, and then there is the photographer's viewpoint of the news. News can't be copyrighted. Visual representations of the news can. Specific quotes regarding news events can be copyrighted as well.

At most world records Parachutist and Skydiving usually run slightly different pictures. They usually use different photographers as their source. Norman Kent's photos tends to go to Parachutist where as other peoples photos tend to go towards Skydiving. Provides the same coverage from the event but provides a different view on it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't recall ever seeing this guys work prominently featured in either magazine before. Any takers on how long it will be before either one uses him again?;)

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

As a writer, I know that most freelance work you sell with exclusive rights to a magazine publisher in the U.S. However, with a few exceptions, most magazines only purchase the domestic rights, and the worldwide rights are yours to keep and do with as you wish.

Exactly. More than once, I've had the same photos running in a US mag as well as 1 or 2 international mags at the same time. Whenever I submit photos to Parachutist or Skydiving, I add the disclaimer "these photos have not been submitted to any other publication in USA"... and they are ok with that.

But I won't even send "similar" shots to both magazines, i.e. same jump, same formation, same angle, even if the shots are 20 seconds apart. Same jump, same formation, different angle, that can be ok if it creates a different artistic image. But if the shots are too similar, why bother?

This has happened before, less than a year ago. I think (guessing) maybe it was December 2006 Skydiving cover had a green and white airplane on jumprun with guys hanging on the outside of it... photo taken from another plane. This same photo was in Parachutist pictorial simultaneously. Not cover/centerfold, but still in two at once, and on the cover in one which is worse.

The photographer in this new case does know better. All wrongdoings aside, it is a pretty cool accomplishment to have a cover shot and centerfold at the same time... but it will probably be the last time for a while that he gets either again.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

...it is a pretty cool accomplishment to have a cover shot and centerfold at the same time... but it will probably be the last time for a while that he gets either again.

Parachutist hates to be burned on this sort of thing, and they have a very long memory.

Kevin K.

Maybe not for the news, but certainly for the picture they buy "first-run North american rights" -- if you don't want to give them that then you don't have to sell. Also for specific articles about newsworthy events, ie a day-to-day diary of a big-way attempt by a leader or one of the participants, would usually be an exclusive, where both mags could run a smaller generic article about the event.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Parachutist hates to be burned on this sort of thing, and they have a very long memory.

Kevin K.

You know, I have submitted a few shots that were pretty darn cool...

Each time they ask, if I don't say, "have you submitted to any others?"

But I never get a denial or any further replies. I stopped submitting because they don't have the manors to say, "thanks for submitting but we are looking for..."

On the other hand, my 4 way team (I am the video guy) was on the cover two months ago of Skydiving. We found out when it came in the mail.

All this being said, while I can appreciate why the publishers want exclusives, but I can understand why people submit to both because you never know what they are going to do.

I think they should reply within a few weeks if they wish to accept or deny the photo so you can move on.