JENNR8R

Would You Ride the Airplane Down?

19 mph is still in my comfort zone, but very close to the edge.

It's not the 19 mph that had me concerned. It was the 4 to 19 mph. A 15 mph spread. I'll jump in winds over 20 if it's steadier. What is the spread that you are comfortable with?

It was Load 2 and had been cloudy all morning. The first load didn't get up until 10:30 a.m. so there wasn't a lot of history to judge by.

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

If I felt uncomfortable with the conditions I would have stayed in the plane.

In these particular conditions I don't know what I would have done. Probably would have jumped. But would congratulate anybody staying in the plane for sticking with that kind of decision. :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Doesn't matter what I would do.
It's your decision to make.

+1

I've safely landed in high gusts, and I've also been pulled over backwards at 10 feet off the ground with a big gust B|

Yep, been there done that, AND got dragged 50 yards on my back before I could reel the steering line in to collapse it. 30+ mph gust hit just as I was landing a beautiful tippy toe touchdown.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I do know that I wouldn't have manifested with wind conditions like that (had I known on the ground), but not sure what I would have done if the winds changed to that on the ride to altitude. Probably would have jumped, but it would really depend on what the winds were doing the rest of the day, if a storm was rolling in, etc.

It takes a lot more guts to ride a plane down than it does to be a lemming and get out!! A smarter move too!

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I know this thread has been about riding the plane down due to high winds...but how about riding it down because you get sick?? Just yesterday we had an experienced camera jumper on a 182 load to film a AFF1. He was feeling a little sick all day apparantly. A minute before door, he couldnt hold it anymore. He manned up, opened his jumpsuit and let it pour! Then he climed out on the strut (with influence from the pilot yelling for him to get the hell outB|) and filmed the whole jump and landing! Now if i just threw up i would probably not have jumped and instead rode the plane down (if the pilot would let me lol

BASE 1384

Last year when I was team training, we had a day that started to gust like that. I don't remember the speed exactly, but it was around 12-22 (give or take). I was worried about it, but didn't say anything bc I didn't want to make the team sit down. :$

As we were taxi-ing, one of my teammates realized something was wrong, & asked me if I felt comfortable. I was quiet for a moment bc again, I didn't want to be the wuss of the team. Finally, right before take off, I told them that I did not feel comfortable, so we got off the plane at the end of the runway.

On our walk back, we had a mini-meeting & made sure that everyone knew it was ok to say you don't feel comfortable. The others that jumped were fine, but they luckily landed between the gusts. I didn't want to take that chance.

*Clever, thought provoking saying coming soon.....*

On the ride to altitude today, the pilot informed us of a wind gust from 4 to 19 mph. That is waaaaaaay beyond my comfort level. I rode the airplane down with a student and her instructor. Everyone else on the airplane decided to jump out. Some of them had far fewer jumps than I, and they all landed safely.

This was just a fun jump. I would have had a harder time in deciding to stay on the airplane if it were a more meaningful jump and everyone else in my group decided to go.

What would you do? How much of a wind gust would convince you to ride the airplane down?

Did you land safely (in the airplane)? You made the right choice.

It doesn't matter what others are comfortable with. Your saftey is in your own hands at these times.

"It's much better to be on the ground (or in the plane) wishin you were in the air than to be in the air and wishing you were on the ground (or still in the plane)."

Mark Klingelheofer

Mark Klingelhoefer

Did you land safely (in the airplane)? You made the right choice.

I'm comfortable with the choice that I made. I'm not second guessing myself. I started this thread in order to find out how others would react in the same scenario. I find the reasoning of others to be educational. :)
So what would you have done in the same circumstances, and why?

ones? -- Monday.

Did the conditions change from the time you boarded the plane? I've stayed on the ground because of the winds many times, and I've also scratched from loads when we had a long call and the winds changed during the wait. So far, I haven't been in a position where I felt like I needed to ride the plane down though. On borderline windy days, I'll watch a couple of loads land before I make up my mind.

Did the conditions change from the time you boarded the plane?

Yes, it wasn't windy before we boarded the airplane. The pilot didn't tell us about the wind gust until about 9,000 feet.

ones? -- Monday.

I had a similiar experience earlier this year. I was on load 2 of the day and the forecast was predicting the winds to get gusty as the day went on. I watched load 1 land and wasn't too happy with the landings but I was participating in some 4 way scrambles and decided that I would just land in our alternate landing area where the air was cleaner.

We were on jumprun when someone radioed up that the winds were gusting from about 7 to 25 - 30. Everyone on the load seemed good with that, but I gave it about 10 seconds of thought and decided to land with the plane. Given the fact that the winds were out of the West which gives us the most dirtiest air and I am underloading a crossbrace canopy I decided getting out of the plane was not a good idea. Also weighing in on my decision was the fact that I had to land with the plane with an extreme crosswind, scary stuff to have to land in the plane! I had the utmost confidence in our pilot so that helped ease the anxiety.

Once I spoke up the majority of the load decided to land with the plane, so 3 people on the load decided to jump, not one of them landed on the airport and the people who were not loading their canopy at an aggressive wingloading experienced having their canopy collapse.

I believe I made the right choice because I hate being in the air and wishing I was down on the ground, and I landed safely. Many times you will notice when the winds get unsafe, the more experienced people will stay on the ground and the inexperienced will continue jumping. Good for you for making a good decision for yourself and listening to what your comfort zone is.

No one can tell you that you were wrong in your decision. Your comfort level is not the same as some one else. It's your jump, your bones and your life. The worst thing is to let someone else gode you into jumping. Make your own decision and muster up the moxie to stick by it.

It's my experience that if someone is concerned about their landing due to winds or something else, they seldom are able to focus on the jump and the skydive doesn't go well anyway.

I've ridden the plane down more times than I can remember. People give me crap about it but it doesn't bother me. I'm still jumping after many of them have quit due to injuries.

Be careful............. you keep making decisions like this and you may end up still active in this sport 30 years from now.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I'm comfortable with the choice that I made. I'm not second guessing myself. I started this thread in order to find out how others would react in the same scenario. I find the reasoning of others to be educational. :)
So what would you have done in the same circumstances, and why?

I have pulled myself off of several loads before ever bording the plane in my 8 years in the sport. I don't think I've ever ridden the plane down (unless the whole load was coming with me) but I have made the decision before I ever got onto the plane. I have yet to be in a situation where the weather rolls in from nothing to nasty weather while I'm in the air. If it looks like this is going to happen, my name gets erased from the load sheet before I take off.

Mark Klingelhofer

The wind was reported at 21 gust 28knots just before we reached altitude on the first load. I didn't even consider not jumping, but I did mention it to the others in the plane. We all jumped.

The winds were more then reported and the turbulance was extreme. I would have jumped even if they had reported 30 gust 40 but I would have shut everyone else down ( I am the S&TA after all).

I was jumping a 82, I still got forward drive and a soft landing.

I would consider not jumping if I could see the funnel forming, but not before.

If I knew how windy it really was I would have jumped anyway but sent the rest of the load down. No one else had more then 290 jumps

I'm speechless.:S

It would depend on a number of factors as to whether I rode the plane down or not.

I would consider the wind direction and whether it was going to produce a lot of turbulence in the landing area, whether it was indicative of a storm (and worse wind) that was coming, how many outs I would have on the downwind side of the landing area in case winds increased and the spot was off.

If I didn't expect turbulence in the landing area to be bad and the winds seemed stable, I would jump in that. That is still within my comfort zone - if it were for a demo or something like that though, at a new, tight landing area, I might decide not to jump.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

The wind was reported at 21 gust 28knots just before we reached altitude on the first load. I didn't even consider not jumping, but I did mention it to the others in the plane. We all jumped.

The winds were more then reported and the turbulance was extreme. I would have jumped even if they had reported 30 gust 40 but I would have shut everyone else down ( I am the S&TA after all).

I was jumping a 82, I still got forward drive and a soft landing.

I would consider not jumping if I could see the funnel forming, but not before.

If I knew how windy it really was I would have jumped anyway but sent the rest of the load down. No one else had more then 290 jumps

I'm speechless.:S

Some example he set for them. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have a wingloading of .9, so yes I would have landed with the plane. I have actually been in a situation where the winds increased drastically from takeoff to exit, and we didn't know it until we were all under canopy. I ended up landing right between the highway and some power lines. I was talking to God a LOT during that landing.

And I recently jumped at Byron. Made the first jump in steady 20 mph winds. On the second jump, I was just about to board the plane when a huge wind gust came up, and I saw my first dust devil. Once I found out it was a 26 mph wind gust, I didn't hesitate to cancel the jump.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28