JeepRiddle

Tipping

The best tip is if you become a skydiver.

Second that....esp when they get to do a fun jump with you.

Also I just waited until after AFF. Every instructor who had gone through AFF with me (6 total), I bought them their favorite case of beer. But that's just me...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Don't forget to tip the packers that packed all of those chutes for you-

and the pilot, and the mechanic, and the manifester........

I'll take a buck or two just being there so the plane load met the minimum lift requirement.

Heck, I bet if you just tip one of them, they are go out of the way to spread it around as appropriate.

Tipping is a silly custom in any industry. But it's here, so people need to do what they feel appropriate and not ask others what to do. These are always really crappy threads.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

During my AFF training, I always came with a case of beer for the frig. Find out your DZ's favorite and keep it stocked. That way, the packers, pilot, instructors, manifest get a little something. It does wonders when it comes time to get coaching, packing lessons or that last slot on sunset load.B|

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

lol.... Alright sounds like BEER is the way to go... Thanks a lot guys....

The sport isn't supposed to be about cash. It takes money to keep the planes running and the instructors, etc all have bills to pay... but the sport is supposed to be about going out, hanging out and having a good time with cool people.

Free beer helps with that and a nice frosty is just a great way to end the day when you're sore, tired and hot.

***It's not ever expected or required.

LOL ... that's a joke. I jumped at one place in particular ... a tandem ... where I was specifically told by the manifester what the "appropriate" tip amount would be for both my TM and the video guy.

I personally don't have a big problem with tipping tandem instructors. Most of the people who come out to do a tandem never return. In many cases, as well, the tandem jump is not any sort of training jump anymore. Rather it's a joyride. So you tip the ride operator ... and the guy who takes the pictures and makes you look good. That's okay by me.

But I have a real problem with tipping an instructor of any type ... no matter how good he is ... until I am done with the instructional course. To me, tipping an AFF instructor would be akin to an attempted bribe. "Please don't fail me even though I sucked on that level ... here's an extra $50 to make your sign off worthwhile." No, I'd rather he fail me if I sucked ... even though the cost will actually be far more than the tip. At the end of the ENTIRE course, then perhaps I'll show up at the dz, rolling a handtruck ... loaded down with cases of beer. Perhaps at that time, I'll throw a bit of cash around ... but not before.

It's just the way I believe. You can certainly call me cheap if you want.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Interesting. I don't disagree with your "show up with beer" approach. You'll be well-liked! What surprises me is that you associate tipping with a bribe to pass you on to the next level. If I thought it was that easy with my instructor (pay-to-pass), I'd be looking for a new instructor. I'm learning to jump, to be safe for myself and with respect to others around me. Tipping someone to short-circuit that process makes no sense and is disturbing on a lot of levels, not the least of which is the future jumper who wants to get a free pass at who-knows-what-cost and the instructor who might be willing to give it. (Oh, and for the record, I can't think of any instructors I know at our dz who would even think about it.)
TPM Sister #102

Okay, full disclosure - I've been around awhile and cannot relate to the creeping reality of tipping becoming part of the learning process. (Then again, I'm still having trouble accepting the concept of people routinely paying packers to do something they ought to be doing themselves.)

If one guy tips his instructors, the next guy might feel pressure to do so even if he can't afford it.

Damn, we've spent years trying to figure out why the sport is not growing, yet we ASSume everyone who wants to jump has an unlimited checkbook. This mentality has become so commonplace that our leadership has decreed from above how many weeks may pass before a student must pay for unnecessary "recurrency" training before getting back in the air after a brief layoff.
Where will it end?

Sigh.

Cheers,
Jon S.

I'm a very new AFF instructor, but would never expect/want a tip from a student. The best thing you could possibly do for me if you enjoyed your jump and learned a lot is to come back and jump again. Hang out after the jumping is done. Bring a case of beer sometime. Give a great big grin when you land and have a blast! :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I'm flabbergasted by the responses here! These people are in a service industry and they ARE working for money. TIs AFFIs, camera people that I know (and I know a few) are all very grateful for tips. I've never understood why in this particular industry it's not the standard. So it's expensive to sky dive, is that the TI's fault, I guess they're already making so much money they don't need the extra five bucks. If people work hard, are professional, and provide you with a great experience they should get some recognition.

... I've never understood why in this particular industry it's not the standard...

Maybe you just don't understand the conceptual differences between "dollars" and "personal satisfaction".

For me, my biggest payoff is the smile, the big eyes when the mental light comes on and the "thank you" after the de-brief. For many of us, it's not about the money.

I made the mistake one time visiting a DZ to unthinkingly offer to do a free coach jump with a young jumper. Manifest and the DZO verbally jumped my ass (in a nice way) for trying to circumvent their "paid coach jump" system although that was not my intent at all.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm flabbergasted by the responses here! These people are in a service industry and they ARE working for money. TIs AFFIs, camera people that I know (and I know a few) are all very grateful for tips. I've never understood why in this particular industry it's not the standard. So it's expensive to sky dive, is that the TI's fault, I guess they're already making so much money they don't need the extra five bucks. If people work hard, are professional, and provide you with a great experience they should get some recognition.

Do you tip your doctor? Your lawyer? Auto mechanic? Every cashier you have ever run across? These are all service professions as well. In 7 years as an eye doctor, I've never been tipped, nor do I expect it. But my fridge is covered in pictures that kids have drawn, and I've gotten baked goods many times. Plenty of thank you notes. Those all mean more than money.

Also keep in mind that a lot of us that are saying no tipping ARE AFFIs or coaches or have other ratings ;)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Do you tip your doctor? Your lawyer? Auto mechanic? Every cashier you have ever run across?

You don't have to go that far.

More analogous examples - do you tip your tennis instructor, ski instructor, football coach, etc?

AFF is sports training.
Now, tandem? that's more of a carnival ride.

I don't understand tipping at all in any industry. (though I do tip in traditional areas) People should be paid directly what the market bears and performance should be rewarded by the boss via customer feedback, not directly by the customer.

Tipping perpetuates low pay in many industries by softening the market forces in those areas. (example - restaurants, completely eliminate tipping? you bet the supply of wait staff would decrease until wages went up). It also encourages short term performance motivation. It also allows for cheating on taxes.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

or maybe the push the student through attitude is why there are no tips - the tips i got were when you would train dress jump and debrief the student - never got one on back to backs - i always refused to do back to backs because it robs the student of the debrief wich sets them up for their next jump - maybe if these instructors would spend a little quality time with the student they would see more tipping