andm31

Heart rates

Hi a fellow jumper asked me last saturday if I could wear one of those heart rate watches (or whatever htey are called) and then a tandem pax did the same, the comparison is kind of cool, guess he was much mor nervous during the ride to altitude than I was? :)
Here is mine: http://www.hfsk.se/upload/Anders%20Samuelsson.PNG

And here is the tandem pax: http://www.hfsk.se/upload/Tandem%20Pax.PNG

This was really cool, wonder about the peak in the airplane, it's almost to early for take-off... or maybe there around. I did check the clock when we opened the door and I jumped out and it was at just over 30 minutes (i.e. 30:xx)
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

That peak, at the beginning, for you, could have just been the effort of getting into the plane and getting settled in. What kind of plane were you using?

I thought that too, but then it seems just like a missreading, it's a heart rate of 230 which is way high (I'm in no way that fit ;) ).

We use a Cessna 182 and getting in is that much of a hazzle...

Do anyone else know of any studies of heart rates and skydiving? I know some have been done but I don't know how to find those.
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

I seriously doubt your heartrate got to 230! You would proally be having chest pains and dizzyness lol . Your heart cant fill with enough blood to be effective for the next pump in time. That is over 2 times the rate to be classified as Tachycardia:o

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

(I'm in no way that fit Wink ).

You can't raise your maximum heart rate by training. It depends on genetics and age. You can affect the rate at which it decreases over time by training. An average man has a max. heart rate of 220-age, but this can vary a lot. I would say that 230 is false data.

/Martin

I wore a heart rate monitor for a while - mine definitely can get to 230! I actually did the treadmill thing in a doctor's office once and got to 195 just walking! Not even jogging! on a treadmill. He said my heart was perfectly fine though. I'd regularly see over 220 right before exit skydiving, as well as when I was exercising on the ground..

All of this seems a bit unrealistic. I like the study though. Its kinda funny...

These reading are probably false readings. At young ages (early 20's) the maximum heart rate should probably not exceed 200 bpm.

Older ages (50's and 60's) the maximum hear rate should probably not exceed 150 bpm.

Buy a quality hart rate that wraps around your chest and you will get more accurate readings...

http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B000P8HB1I/sr=1-4/qid=1191952894/ref=sr_1_4/102-1500886-0815365?ie=UTF8&m=A1S5XB33AHYRMX&n=238521011&timexBrand=core

The fact that my heart rate was so high (and I wore an expensive chest-wrap heart monitor when exercising) was why I went to the doc in the first place.

At the cardiology office is where mine hit 190 just walking at a reasonable pace - they never even let me progress to jogging! I was just told that the heart rate numbers are just average and I just had a heart that beat super fast but was fine.

Buy a quality hart rate that wraps around your chest and you will get more accurate readings...

even those would occasionally be wildly wrong - usually at the beginning before you start sweating the connection isn't very good and you get garbage results.

Overall, the data seems as what you'd expect. The tandem was excitable - the trend line was hardly different from the 16 jump man, but lots of temporary spikes (omg, there's a cloud next to us!). And right after opening, he settled down whereas the student remain elevated during the canopy phase.

even those would occasionally be wildly wrong - usually at the beginning before you start sweating the connection isn't very good and you get garbage results.

Yeah, they can be wrong at times. I ran for 2 years with mine until I got tired of wearing it. For the most part...its really accurate though.

As far as the beginning goes, its recommended to wet the monitor and your chest with water before putting it on. This makes it transmit to pulse more accurately.
:)
Not to take the subject off topic. I would like to get mine and try the same experiment. I started laughing when I saw the difference between the two graphs. Since I am so new to the sport, I would imagine mine to look like the tandem...
:D

I seriously doubt your heartrate got to 230! You would proally be having chest pains and dizzyness lol . Your heart cant fill with enough blood to be effective for the next pump in time. That is over 2 times the rate to be classified as Tachycardia:o

my heart rate has been over 240 working out before

Not to take the subject off topic. I would like to get mine and try the same experiment. I started laughing when I saw the difference between the two graphs. Since I am so new to the sport, I would imagine mine to look like the tandem...
:D

That would be so cool! :) Also if any of the jumpers with high number of jumps would like to do the same it would be cool to compare to us newbies :)

(btw I have 16 numbers after training so I have 53 in total... over here in sweden we start over at 0 when we get our A license so I am really a A license holder and not a student B| )
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se

Sir: You are wrong about his heart rate not getting to 230. I used to mount a heart rate recording device built by the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children....... on first jump students, and on leaving the aircraft I often got a heart rate of 225. The rate would then subside somewhat, and then climb again ( to about 175-180 )before they hit the ground, ( anticipation of a hard landing.)

Bill Cole D-41

I knew I would stir up trouble when I made that comment. I am just speaking from the medical field which I have been in for 11 years now. Most people that have had a heartrate in that area were experiencing problems. Whose to say the problems were not causing the heartrate itself. Some even had to have their heart rhythm converted back to a normal rhythm via chemical or electrical conversion. I know it happens, I never said it did not. Im just saying that is is not common to be at that heart rate and not have any problems. I cant get mine anywhere near that high on purpose even in a working house fire pulling 200 foot of hose wearing 40 lbs of gear in extreme heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia

"Tachycardia can be harmful in three ways. Firstly, if the heart is pumping too fast for an extended period of time it will change the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the hemoglobin in the blood; this is normal during exercise but when resting this is quite dangerous. Second, when the heart beats too rapidly, it may pump blood less efficiently. Thirdly, the faster the heart beats, the more oxygen and nutrients the heart requires. This may leave patients feeling out of breath or cause angina"

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I found a research study (I don't know by who off the top of my head) that investigated the heart rates of skydivers. It basically said that heartrates of novice skydivers fluctuate more and peak higher than experienced skydivers. The experienced skydivers were told that they were going to have a malfunction within the next ten jumps, and then their heart rate patterns imitated those of novice jumpers.

Again, I don't have the exact details (I'm at work right now), but that was the main idea of the study.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I found a research study (I don't know by who off the top of my head) that investigated the heart rates of skydivers. It basically said that heartrates of novice skydivers fluctuate more and peak higher than experienced skydivers. The experienced skydivers were told that they were going to have a malfunction within the next ten jumps, and then their heart rate patterns imitated those of novice jumpers.

Again, I don't have the exact details (I'm at work right now), but that was the main idea of the study.

That's cool... but how do you tell an experience skydiver that he/she will have a malfunction within the next ten jumps? :D
Blue skies!

Anders Samuelsson
www.anderssamuelsson.se