steve1

How do I retire and still skydive?

I've got to decide whether or not to retire in a couple of years. I'm just wondering how I can support my skydive habit.

My salary will be cut in half and then I'll have to buy health insurance on top of that. So, I'm wondering how to continue on jumping. A second income will probably be needed.

The thought of getting an extra job, handing out carts at Walmart, scares the hell out of me.

A friend of mine suggested that I get a tandem rating, and move to Las Vegas in the winter. That sure has me thinking. It would beat handing out carts. If I only did it in the winter, maybe I wouldn't get burned out on it.

I'm just wondering if anybody wants to be strapped to some aging old fart for a jump.[:/] I'd like to specialize in tandems with young good looking babes.:S....But that is probably out.

Photographing tandems would be another idea. Learning all the ins and outs of skydive photography is no quick matter, nor inexpensive. So, maybe a tandem rating would make more sense. Anyone have any suggestions?....

Photographing tandems would be another idea. Learning all the ins and outs of skydive photography is no quick matter, nor inexpensive. So, maybe a tandem rating would make more sense. Anyone have any suggestions?....

Well, you're going to spend $1000 getting your tandem rating. Closer to $1500 if you don't have a coach rating yet. Bigger DZs will a lot of time not even touch you until you have around 1000 tandems. Nevermind how hard tandems are on the TI's body. I'm still in my 20s and tandems take a serious toll on my body. I've been doing them for a few years now and I'm definitely not burned out, but beat up a bit.

You could work on your AFF-I, your SL/IAD, become a rigger, edit videos, be a packer. All of the above work well, that way no matter what is going on at the DZ you can make money.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Too late to marry rich?? ;)

Yep, It's probably too late for that. I was thinking I could get the wife a good job and retire in style[:/]....

Well...there ya go, problem solved! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hmmmm... probably not much help here, but a few things that came to my mind when reading your post...

1) If you're of retirement age, then starting out then as a Tandem Master isn't what I'd advise... increased potential for injury.

2) Being a vidiot may be a better choice, but as you say, the downside there is learning the in's and out's and buying the stuff you'll need.

3) Buying your own health insurance post retirement... best not put down that you're a jumper on the stacks of application forms I'm sure you'll be filling out. :P;):)

4) I see you're got your rigger's ticket, but just for chest mounts? Why don't you add-on a Back and Seat ratting and think about rigging as a supplement to your retirement income to feed your skydiving habbit?

5) There aren't any single female DZO's up your way you could woo? ;)

You know who makes the most money for the least investment at a DZ?

Packers.

Oh hell, I get wore out just packing my own rig. I may not be tough enough to be a packer.

Swamping out the bunk house at Perris doesn't sound like much fun either. Did I mention that I'm kind of a lazy old bastard?

I was thinking maybe I could become a star in the adult film industry, down there in California....but then I might have to lose 40 pounds or so.... All that sounds like way too much work! And now that I'm mostly bald, they may not want me either.

So, maybe that job at Walmart wouldn't be so bad after all[:/]....

So, maybe that job at Walmart wouldn't be so bad after all[:/]....

Who cares what kind of job it is or where it's at, as long as you can jump right? If I was in your position I wouldn't care much about what kind of job I'd get/take, as long as I get the money to jump.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Move to Hawaii, live in a big tent, it rains twice a day so a big tarp hung in the trees will help keep your living area dry, make money selling photos of the girls in grass skirts on the windy days, drive the TDM pick up van they have for an hourly rate and tips, grow pocololo to sell to the jumpers and eat free if you fish, it's a short walk accross the street even for a lazy old fart like you......:P:D:DB|;)

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Move to Hawaii, live in a big tent, it rains twice a day so a big tarp hung in the trees will help keep your living area dry, make money selling photos of the girls in grass skirts on the windy days, drive the TDM pick up van they have for an hourly rate and tips, grow pocololo to sell to the jumpers and eat free if you fish, it's a short walk accross the street even for a lazy old fart like you......:P:D:DB|;)

Screw him...I'm leaving now! B|

If you have your TDM rating and are use to hauling the midwest land whales, you be happy as a pig in shit and take two of those Japanese at the same time and double your income and tips.:)
William Moriarty (sp) used to live in the trees with his 16 year old boy for a long time.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you have your TDM rating and are use to hauling the midwest land whales, you be happy as a pig in shit and take two of those Japanese at the same time and double your income and tips.

Wouldn't need the rating, mine lapsed...just stick 'em in the front pocket of my hoodie, two at a time! B|;)

Go where the money is.

Rob banks.

That is so old school.. what you need to do is goto columbia nd pick up a package then tandem in a remote area that is where the retirement is:D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Go where the money is.

Rob banks.

That is so old school.. what you need to do is goto columbia nd pick up a package then tandem in a remote area that is where the retirement is:D

Coffee can't be THAT hard to get! :$