freestyle7457

Man VS. Wild

If not some one should... the currency could only help his landings!!!! :ph34r:

Are you talking about where he throws the parachute up into the air and then rolls around on the ground in front of the camera or where he hangs his canopy in a tree and climbs into the harness?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

exactly its called production. You dont actually endanger your life by landing in a tree for a TV show. You stage it. Its a realistic scenario. Not a real stunt. I think the show is pretty well done. The show is suppose to be more informative than real.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I second that! :D I'm not a skydiver (at least yet!) - I know absolutely nothing about piloting a canopy. But even I watch his landings thinking, "Seriously...?? On national TV...??"

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Are you talking about where he throws the parachute up into the air and then rolls around on the ground in front of the camera or where he hangs his canopy in a tree and climbs into the harness?

No I am talking about when he eats shit on almost every landing.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I think the show is pretty well done. The show is suppose to be more informative than real.

I don't think you said that right - the show is more staged scenarios and risky ventures than anything that is informative. You'd die pretty quickly if you did what he does. The epitome was him swimming down a cold mountain river so that he could get someplace faster. He had a lifejacket hidden under his clothing so that the viewers couldn't see it. He was going through rapids that could easily drown people. At that point they didn't even use the disclaimer that these are all stunts, not actual solutions to being stranded in the wilderness.

If you watch closely he lands with a square but before he cuts up the suspension lines for something the parachute turns into an old round.

Also in a few shots he lands with a normal skydiving container but when he starts hiking around it turns into a much lighter pilot's rig.

And what's with all that blessing himself before exit? I always hate when students do that as I'm afraid God will notice us and say, "Ah, there's that NickD sinner guy!"

NickD :)

Yeah, that was another crock of shit (Rim-Shot). Fecal matter or urine isn't going to do anything for you. But guess what finding fresh moist poo DOES tell you...maybe that there's a source of water in the area?????

And what's with all that blessing himself before exit? I always hate when students do that as I'm afraid God will notice us and say, "Ah, there's that NickD sinner guy!"

NickD :)

Nick, that comment just about killed me. :ph34r::ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I don't really care, fake or real. As far as I can recall I was never told it was all real, and I never assumed it was because of the camera crew with him as ossposed to survivor man who has to carry allthe camera shit with him.

I guess the bottom line to Bear Grylls for me is that staged or not, he does some pretty crazy shit. I mean, c'mon... the guy caught a fish and then just reached down and took a bite out of it. All the other stuff doesn't really bother me. Anything else I have to say would place this thread better somewhere else...

As far as the skydiving portion of it goes, I always thought it was a fun twist. I like how he reminds us every time before he jumps that he broke his back. I get the point by now...
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

... the guy caught a fish and then just reached down and took a bite out of it.

Plenty of nasty parasites in salmon. Our use of the gray matter between our ears and the magic of fire is why we live longer lives now.

who cares if you agree with his survival techniques or not. Its a tv show of course its staged. Its about ratings. I like watching him eat all that crazy stuff. What about that dead zebra he ate raw. that was wicked hillarious. JDL must really be survivior man getting on here talking smack about his rivals survival skills. I mean really dude parasites? Its better than starving to death. I'll just visit the doctor when i find my way out.
You probably eat nastier stuff everyday that came off your nasty hands or someone elses.

exactly its called production. You dont actually endanger your life by landing in a tree for a TV show. You stage it. Its a realistic scenario. Not a real stunt. I think the show is pretty well done. The show is suppose to be more informative than real.

Definitely not real he sometimes spends the night in hotels during filming [:/]

DJL must really be survivior man getting on here talking smack about his rivals survival skills..

Bear Grylls doesn't have SHIT on me. I haul all my own gear and really do this shit while he has a camera crew, stays in hotels and has catered lunches. He's a phoney! Don't you people see that? What's WRONG with YOU PEOPLE!!!!!

:S

You gotta be shittin' us, right? The show is all about production. Okay, entertaining, somewhat and yes I do stop and watch it from time to time, but if you think what he does is what you should do to survive in the wild... try again. For instance, on his show I watched last night he was "lost" in the Panama jungle... with his camera crew... and to "survive" he showed it was a "good idea" to craw into a sink hole / cave using a vine because he thought he could craw through there and get down to a river more quickly... and later... showed another "good idea" of climbing down a waterfall... more vines... and jumping the last few feet into the pool of water below, good thing he somehow "knew" said pool of water was deep enough. :S I'll admit, they did a pretty good job of hiding the safety line in both instances. :ph34r:

Yeah, the show is all about production and what kind of bugs the guy is willing to eat on camera, but thats about it. If you're looking for some entertainment about a guy doing some stuff in some exotic places, fine, but if you're looking for tutorage on how to survive in the wild, find another source.

well once again im not going to argue survival techniques. I dont plan on being lost in the jungles of panama, so i doubt it matters to %99 of us anyway. However some of his statements and actions are very sound advice. Most of that jumping and climbing is for entertainment. The one I saw he went in a cave to look for fresh water. I dont see any thing wrong with that. In a dry cave rain water is filtered through the rocks and is much cleaner than stagnant surface water. basically you are drinking well water. I'm a cave diver, I drink cave water all the time. Its clean spring water though.
Besides I doubt any of the people posting here really know anything about the outdoors anyway. Maybe some weekend hikers or bird watchers.

My survival advice is dont get lost like a dumbass in the first place. In the age of cell phones and handheld GPS units you have no excuse.