JohnRich

Video: Corliss tries to BASE jump Empire State Building

Mr. Corliss said that during his attempted jump, he had finally been saved by a sympathetic police officer — “a bald guy” — who “pulled out a knife and started cutting” the rigging of the parachute off his body.

Dave...you get a transfer? :o:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

He is counter-suing them for the asinine suit they filed against him a year ago.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It pre vents him from jumping to his death.

As you know all whuffos think he was suicidal. so they cut his rig to make him think twice.

(I'm just being facetious, not stating facts about other people's thoughts)
My photos

My Videos

How does cutting his rig=saving him?

From reading the article... he was concerned that his canopy would come out and inflate while the security guards were manhandling him... cutting the rig off doesn't prevent the rig from inflating but would prevent it from pulling him off the building if it inflated... (or at least pulling part of him off)

but this analysis is only based on what I read in the article... and may not be a correct analysis at that...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

that's more likely than my previous post. I didin't understand why Jeb would call him a "sympathetic" cop.

I guess if he was pleading about being ripped off the bldg cutting the rig away makes sense. but what happened to the rig? Did they drop it?
My photos

My Videos

that's more likely than my previous post. I didin't understand why Jeb would call him a "sympathetic" cop.

I guess if he was pleading about being ripped off the bldg cutting the rig away makes sense. but what happened to the rig? Did they drop it?

Would have been an interesting legal situation if they cut it off of him, then it killed a pedestrian below.

Note to self: When jumping ESB:
- Slather self from head to toe with petroleum jelly to prevent guards getting a grip.
- Bring stun gun to break guards grips.
- Bring friend to create a diversion by pretending to attempt BASE jump moments before I launch.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I dont know how I would feel if someone was cutting away my rig when I am hanging off a building...probably not too happy:|

well its all in the way you SPIN it.
Of course I bet he was angry, but now he can use it to show that he was scared since they put him in a mor edangerous situation then if they just let him jump
My photos

My Videos

Ooh...I see a product in development here:
The BASE'R, 50,000 volts of incapacitating electricity guaranteed to repel potential saviours of BASE jumpers. Comes in Urban Camo or Blue Jean Patterns.
Order now from Hasbro.

One has to wonder if this will have any significant impact on how BASE is viewed by the outside world.

You guys should read the comments on some of these news sites that people left. It is pathetic how so many whuffos look at skydivers and base jumpers as complete suicidal morons. Pisses me off.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

You guys should read the comments on some of these news sites that people left. It is pathetic how so many whuffos look at skydivers and base jumpers as complete suicidal morons. Pisses me off.

most of the people who comment (all day long) on newspaper websites are moron losers, so don't let it bother you too much. The SF Chronicle has a cast of characters that show up whenever anyone dies anywhere but on the couch. Would you want their life?

most of the people who comment (all day long) on newspaper websites are moron losers, so don't let it bother you too much. The SF Chronicle has a cast of characters that show up whenever anyone dies anywhere but on the couch. Would you want their life?

Hmm...kind of like posting here all day.:|

Hey wait a minute.

Don't get me wrong I defintly admire Jeb... but this is a pretty funny quote...

" If you DO NOT let me go... I will fall and die....":S

Not familiar with the structure; Could it be that he needed a good launch to clear a setback directly below him? I just tried googling for "Empire State Building" to see what I could find, and guess what came up at the top of the results, (see attached).:D

Yes there is most definitely a ledge that you would have to track out from in order to live.

EDIT TO ATTACH PICTURE.
the left side is the top of the ESB the middle 3rd is the ledge. the rigth side is the rest of the world

EDIT AGAIN: I FORGOT I ROTATED THE PIC.
bottom Is the ESB
Middle is the ledge
top is the rest of the world
My photos

My Videos