windcatcher

He pulled for me!

Hey Guys-
Boy did I sure have an interesting weekend. Not only did I get to fly an airplane ( some darling old man let me sit in the pilot's seat and control the plane)!, but on my AFF jump I couldn't get to my ripcord. We had a bad exit, but got stable and when I was supposed to do a turn, I was spinning really quickly and couldn't get the ripcord. It was more towards the front ( jumped at a different dz) and I couldn't locate it because of the intense spinning. Was almost ready to pull my reserve handle, but my JM ended up pulling my ripcord. So I know what to do next time, but can you tell me, is there a way to spin out of control so you can't get your ripcord? I want to be safe and stay in the sport a long time, I just feel discouraged about what happened and it makes me doubt my abilities. Obviously just because I messed up once doesn't mean I'm gonna be a sucky skydiver right? What can I do to make sure my next jump (and the next couple thousand) go smoothly? Should I maybe go back to static progression instead of AFF?
Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Should I maybe go back to static progression instead of AFF?

Nope.

Sounds like you need to spend some time on the ground going over body position and doing some leg awareness drills. It also sounds like you need to spend time doing some practice handle touches on the ground as well.

No biggie, I'm sure if you talk to your AFF instructor(s) they'd be able to tell you exactly what was going on and help you fix whatever it was.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, it is possible to spin so fast that you can't pull your arms or legs in, we had a guy get really messed up from that, but ended up being able to pull his reserve.

totally agree with the man, go over some body positioning on the ground, statics aren't going to help you with stable body positioning in freefall

Before you left the ground, did you do practice touches?????

always do practice touches on new stuff, I had a similar problem jumping an R.O.L. but I'd done practice touches so I was able to remember.

skydive!!!!

But you know what they say...if at first you don't succeed.....

BE THE BUDDHA!

...but can you tell me, is there a way to spin out of control so you can't get your ripcord?

In the skydiving world, I'm only about 5 minutes older than you, so read this as nothing more than a newbie anecdote:

I dont know if centrifugal force can be strong enough to prevent you from bringing your arms in, but if your ripcord handle is attached with velcro it could come loose if it rubs or bumps something on exit or during the skydive. Mine did once.
On my second reach for it, I reached around to the steel ripcord housing on the back of the rig, ran my fingers along to the edge, found the ripcord and then the handle and pulled.

But, as others have said, and will continue to say, your instructor will have the best answers.;)

Sarah,
Look at the thread "AFF is not going well for me" under general skydiving topic - it will make you feel better.B|

I was hoping to get through my AFF level 4 and 5 today, but darn - it is raining.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Maybe you can try the wind tunnel. It is a bit expensive, and in your case, you'd have to add traveling expenses, but if you're serious about becoming a skydiver, going to the tunnel will allow you to reach that next step much faster.

~Chivo

"I dont know if centrifugal force can be strong enough to prevent you from bringing your arms in....."

I doubt it. An ice skater in a "scratch spin" is going around much faster than a skydiver in freefall. Even in a rapid, uncontrollable spin you should be able to pull your arms in.

Check out: www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1246600;#1246600.

D--

Yeah I passed level 5 on sat, did one 360 turn, docked on Spanky ( his nickname always cracks me up!!!):$, and I did another turn. Everything was BEAUTIFUL, I almost had a stand up landing too. Jumping back at my home dz was so much better, I really trust Spanky and the rest of the staff at Airtight. and yes, I did pull myself....
I'm not that bad of a skydiver, just had a bad jump that's all.
Sarah

dont worry. Your instructor will help you fix it, just listen to what he has to say and then try remembering it in free fall. Many of us have been through uncontrollable spins during AFF. Don't read too much into it. It seems like a challenge but once you get it you'll feel quite stupid about not having got the hang of it earlier, it's that simple. Just enjoy the learning process and listen carefully to your instructor.

Good job sarah :) Keep it up so I can do some fun jumps w/ ya in SoCal !

;)
Nate

Yeah I passed level 5 on sat, did one 360 turn, docked on Spanky ( his nickname always cracks me up!!!):$, and I did another turn. Everything was BEAUTIFUL, I almost had a stand up landing too. Jumping back at my home dz was so much better, I really trust Spanky and the rest of the staff at Airtight. and yes, I did pull myself....
I'm not that bad of a skydiver, just had a bad jump that's all.
Sarah

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Just keep hanging in there. I did my level 7 in the morning on a Saturday loved it so much went out for my level 8 in the afternoon and had a bad exit and went into a spin myself. The 5 second rule came in and I pulled.... yep, at 9,000 feet. I thought I was all through and especially after watching my video for days! Went out the next Sunday and had a beautiful level 8 jump.... the next day, labor day, I got my first solos in. Each jump is it's own and we learn from each one. Talking with other jumpers about all the situations really helps so you have a feel for something before it happens.

Hope to see you at Perris in So Cal someday.

Blue Skies!!

Hey Guys-
Boy did I sure have an interesting weekend. Not only did I get to fly an airplane ( some darling old man let me sit in the pilot's seat and control the plane)!, but on my AFF jump I couldn't get to my ripcord. We had a bad exit, but got stable and when I was supposed to do a turn, I was spinning really quickly and couldn't get the ripcord. It was more towards the front ( jumped at a different dz) and I couldn't locate it because of the intense spinning. Was almost ready to pull my reserve handle, but my JM ended up pulling my ripcord. So I know what to do next time, but can you tell me, is there a way to spin out of control so you can't get your ripcord? I want to be safe and stay in the sport a long time, I just feel discouraged about what happened and it makes me doubt my abilities. Obviously just because I messed up once doesn't mean I'm gonna be a sucky skydiver right? What can I do to make sure my next jump (and the next couple thousand) go smoothly? Should I maybe go back to static progression instead of AFF?
Sarah

hey sarah,
glad to see you're still jumping b/c the SAME thing happened to me on the same jump (team turns). i lost all stability and started "breakdancing" (his words.. not mine! :$)... i was able to find the hackey but i was spinning so tight and fast-- i couldn't pull! i was about to go for my reserve when he caught got me at the right angle and pulled. i'm not sure why i didn't just let go/arch and try it again... i just wanted it out! i was supposed to go out the next day for take 2 but didn't... the day after i thought i was up for it, but by the time i got there (i live 90 min away)--- i was too scared and decided i'd have to spend some time in a wind tunnel before getting back out there. how did you get past this level? did any others give you trouble?? i'm worried about barrel rolls... they just sound like something i will mess up. i guess what i'm asking is.. since i'm going to orlando this early in my progression, what other aff levels do students have problems with?.. because that's probably what i need to work on as well!
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Hey heidi-
I just saw you bumped up my thread...shhhh, I'm past that point now. ;)
Girl-barrel rolls are EASY, don't worry about them. I passed AFF very quickly, except having to redo level 4 or 5 because I like to bring my feet in. I still have a tendency to do that, because I want to have a good arch and it's natural for me to want to bring them in. Most of us have stuff we have to work on, so don't be too hard on yourself.
The tunnel sounds like a good learning tool, hope all goes well with that.