Disconnecting the RSL...

Newbie question.

The SIM says the following for a two-out Side-by-side procedure:

If both canopies are flying without interference or
possibility of entanglement and altitude permits:
(1) Disconnect the RSL.
(2) Cut away the main and steer the reserve to
a normal landing.

My question is, why is there a need to disconnect the RSL? If the reserve is already deployed, what difference does it make?

Thanks!

good question.

the theory is that the rsl bridle could cause the risers to rap around the reserve canopy if you have to cut away the reserve, if you have a down plane,

my solution to this is one drill regardles of the type of malfunction, your drill should be the same pull both handles

this will save you having to think to much (works for me) during a stressfull situation,

remember to sit wityh one of your local instructors and rigger who can explain the mechanics of the parachute this wil help you and you can get a more indepth answere to your questions.

blue skies
life is a journey not to arrive at the grave in a pristine condition but to skid in sideways kicking and screaming, shouting "fuck me what a ride!.

Please do me a big favor.

Do NOT take anything you learn here on DZ.com as fact or truth or even a 1/2 truth until you take it up with your instructors or your S&TA.

The sad truth is there is a good deal of bad information out there, not on purpose, but people without the skill or knowledge giving advice on something they shouldn't.

So please besure to discuss with your instructors and/or S&TA.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If there's 2 out, it's probably due to an AAD fire the ripcord is still in place.

The ripcord still passes through the RSL ring and the guide ring on the reserve flap. The RSL ring has to pull the cable through the guide ring and the RSL is an additional snag hazzard as well.

The SIM should be adjusted . If there is a side by side and it's flying fine, cutting away the main is asking for more trouble than just simply landing the 2 out. Remember, if you have 2 out because of an AAD fire, chances are you're very close to the ground.

Daves answer fits best. Read that one again.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/emergencies/emergency_canopy_malfunctions.shtml#twocanopies

As Dan Poynter suggests in his article; talk with your instructors about your specific system...

My own personal advice is; always carry a hook knife.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Do NOT take anything you learn here on DZ.com as fact or truth or even a 1/2 truth until you take it up with your instructors or your S&TA.

Duh. I've been reading these posts for several months and it doesn't take long to realize what you said is true.

However, all I was looking for was a simple explanation. I'm SURE there are many, many strong feelings one way or another for every emergency proceedure in skydiving. But I wasn't seeking advice. I was only trying to understand the reasoning behind the USPA's recommendation.

I do, actually, only take advice from my instructors. (Something they all can vouch for...I'm constantly hounding them with newbie questions.)

Thanks for your concerns, though. :)

The way it has been described to me is the RSl shackel when it is cut away still attached to the risers. that bridle bit hanging back can pose a small snag risk to your slider on your reserve. there for pulling your slider back up into the reserve and fowling it.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Duh. I've been reading these posts for several months and it doesn't take long to realize what you said is true.

I understand that, but low time jumpers reading this thread may not.

The threads touch more people then just the people that post in the threads.;)

As Dan Poynter suggests in his article; talk with your instructors about your specific system...

FROM DAN POYNTER: Note:Certain reserve static line lanyards may have to be disconnected so as not to foul the reserve parachute when the main is disconnected. Ask your instructor about the specifics concerning your system.

So I guess there is no single explanation after all. Bummer.

If both canopies are flying without interference or
possibility of entanglement and altitude permits:
(1) Disconnect the RSL.
(2) Cut away the main and steer the reserve to
a normal landing

No offense, but I really doubt anyone will remember to disconect the RSL. I have never seen anyone do it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

hehe Ron...

I had the same thought and started to write that. In that single adrenaline induced moment, nobody remembers that... Hence... carry a knife. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I had the same thought and started to write that. In that single adrenaline induced moment, nobody remembers that... Hence... carry a knife

I agree to carry a knife....But how many folks will remember they have one? Again I say carry one, but I know several cases where a guy will land with a problem and someone will ask why they didn't use their hook knife...They look confused and then remember they have one.

Try this neat test:
As people are getting up to get ready ask a guy with a hook knife where his is....Most times they will have to look for it. A few times they will think they don't have one. I myself when I changed gear reached for it in the wrong spot. To be honest I don't know which leg strap it is on right now. I *think* the left one.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I practice going for my hook knife. Sort of like handle touches on the ground.

So I tend to recommend to people to 1) carry a good hook knife (not the pinche cheap orange plastic one that breaks) and 2) practice loacting it as if you're practicing handle touches.

Then again, the one time I thought I needed my hook knife (long story, was able to fix the problem on the reserve), I was'nt wearing my pants with a knife and I had the "lucky" tandem harness that didn't have a hookknife (I went for both).

Nick,

You attended the FJC last year and the Two Out procedures may differ.

From the 2005 SIM:

2. Both parachutes deployed:

a. Biplane
(1) Do not cut away.
(2) Steer the front canopy gently using toggles.
(3) Leave the brakes stowed on the back canopy.
(4) Make a parachute landing fall on landing.

b. Side-by-side (two alternatives)
side-by-side alternative one
If the two canopies are not tangled, cut away
and fly the reserve to a safe landing.
side-by-side alternative two
(1) Steer the dominant (larger) canopy gently
using toggles.
(2) Leave the brakes stowed on the other canopy.
(3) Make a parachute landing fall on landing.

c. Downplane: Cut away the main canopy.

I had the same thought and started to write that. In that single adrenaline induced moment, nobody remembers that... Hence... carry a knife

I agree to carry a knife....But how many folks will remember they have one? Again I say carry one, but I know several cases where a guy will land with a problem and someone will ask why they didn't use their hook knife...They look confused and then remember they have one.

Try this neat test:
As people are getting up to get ready ask a guy with a hook knife where his is....Most times they will have to look for it. A few times they will think they don't have one. I myself when I changed gear reached for it in the wrong spot. To be honest I don't know which leg strap it is on right now. I *think* the left one.

Ron,

Mount you hook knife on your jumpsuit, just below your chest strap. You can see it and reach it with both hands.
There are some of us that will use it in a hot minute.:P But like you said, if you have not conditioned yourself to its location and its use, you will forget.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

No offense, but I really doubt anyone will remember to disconect the RSL. I have never seen anyone do it.

I remembered to on a high-wind landing where I knew I was going to cut away when I hit the ground. I remembered just in time - maybe at 100 feet - because I thought ahead to what I was going to do.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I understand that, but low time jumpers reading this thread may not.

The threads touch more people then just the people that post in the threads.

Dave, this may not mean Jack Schit, but I've just GOT to say it anyway: ...MAN, you sure have matured in here! Well beyond that of your 4 (actually nearly 5 now, isn't it?) years, which may to many (and many of them with much more "seniority") might indicate!! ;)B|

Again, I just could not resist. I just HAD TO remark on that.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Good point, I would like to add that these forums are
an important source of info for our whole group. I would REALLY love to think that no one takes the advice from here right to "the door". When I read from these forums it gives me an intelligent and informed way to be inquisitive. I have gained quite
a bit of knowledge here (with confirmation) from the
instructors at my DZ. And the RSL issue...I am not
going there. 50/50

If there's 2 out, it's probably due to an AAD fire the ripcord is still in place.

The ripcord still passes through the RSL ring and the guide ring on the reserve flap. The RSL ring has to pull the cable through the guide ring and the RSL is an additional snag hazzard as well.

The SIM should be adjusted . If there is a side by side and it's flying fine, cutting away the main is asking for more trouble than just simply landing the 2 out. Remember, if you have 2 out because of an AAD fire, chances are you're very close to the ground.

Daves answer fits best. Read that one again.

Thanks Tim, but I already knew that. ;)

My "Huh"? was for him suggesting to cut away his reserve. :S

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com