skybytch

Doing an Off DZ Jump? Take Your Cell Phone!

This morning a few jumpers did a self-organized balloon jump prior to the dz opening for the day. They'd parked at the dz. One of them had to cutaway. They all landed safely. While they were driving around looking for the canopy, a farmer brought it to the dz.

After it was determined who the cutaway canopy belonged to, a call (okay, several calls) was placed to that person's cell phone. No answer. No answer on the cell of the owner of one of the other vehicles in the parking lot either.

A posse was being organized when the balloon truck arrived, with the jumpers on board, at about 10 am.

Moral of the story? If you don't like the thought of scaring the crap out of your friends, take your cell phone when you do non-dz organized jumps around the dz.

Ya never know, it could save you from gettin' bytch slapped. :)

Sometimes those are fun.

Glad everyone way ok -

[SMAK]

Now learn from your mistakes!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This morning a few jumpers did a self-organized balloon jump prior to the dz opening for the day. They'd parked at the dz. One of them had to cutaway. They all landed safely. While they were driving around looking for the canopy, a farmer brought it to the dz.

After it was determined who the cutaway canopy belonged to, a call (okay, several calls) was placed to that person's cell phone. No answer. No answer on the cell of the owner of one of the other vehicles in the parking lot either.

A posse was being organized when the balloon truck arrived, with the jumpers on board, at about 10 am.

Moral of the story? If you don't like the thought of scaring the crap out of your friends, take your cell phone when you do non-dz organized jumps around the dz.

Yea, and make damn sure the landing area was not a former snake farm or something of that nature!:D:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I always jump with my cell phone.

Not a bad idea. All you need is a sprained ankle landing out of sight (behind a building, tree, etc.) and you're stuck till someone notices you're missing.

Of course, with a worse injury or real "out" landing it could save your life.

Sort of like an AAD. You may never need it, but that one time you do....
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I've started taking mine on regular "on-DZ" jumps too. There was one time at the Farm where a large group was going to do a cross-country (full altitude Hop & Pop). One guy had a mal, tried to deal with it all the way down to about 4K where he chopped. Almost the whole group landed with him and one of them had a cell phone. Those of us on the ground at the DZ were wondering why they were all landing miles away. They called me and we picked them all up. I had a tracking dive with a similar story (we tracked the wrong way :$) and none of us had a cell phone. Had to hitchhike back to the DZ in the dark. :S

Although those were special cases, you just never know. It's a good idea to have a phone with you, especially because it's so easy to do these days.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Playing a little bit of devils advocate here, but carrying your phone is not without it's own risks.

In a bad landing you can break it or it can injure you. Particularly if it is in a pants pocket (front or rear).

Is it safer to put in a jumpsuit pocket on your upper body?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I put mine in my jumpsuit pocket, which has it sit around my midsection, off to one side. Below my chest strap. Even if I have a bad landing, I don't really see how it could injure me. Yeah, I guess there's a slim chance it might break but I think the risk is worth it.

Edited to add: I'm not sure if the guy at Spaceland who landed off the DZ and got out of his harness but was otherwise too injured to seek help had a cell phone. I bet he didn't, and the outcome of that might have been much different if he had been able to place a call. :|

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

freaking newbies
we never had cell phones and did this stuff all the time ORGANIZATION key word
technology is bad
Marajuana is bad NOT

The cell phone is not a replacement for organization, but an addition.

Just because something wasn't done or around before, doesn't mean it can't be useful now. :S

Relying on technology makes your God given senses null and void.
Ask cypress about the number of saves due to lack of paying attention to the big green thing below. factor them in and fatalities about double since it hit the sport.
AN ADDITION?
"been around, seen some things, slept in dumpsters got high with kings
KR

I disagree. Technology can be used as an enhancement and a backup. It's not a replacement.

Ask cypress about the number of saves due to lack of paying attention to the big green thing below. factor them in and fatalities about double since it hit the sport.
AN ADDITION?

I agree that anyone who is physically able to pull their main or reserve and has only their AAD save them needs to not be jumping anymore. They need to realize the only reason they are alive is because of a $1000+ piece of electronics.

Some people will use technology as a replacement and others may do things they wouldn't without it, but that's the person using the technologies fault, not the technology.

Who knows what the future may bring? People could think we were crazy for swooping without airbags, or maybe for even going solo in the air without tunnel time.

I prefer to think of it is, "It's the best we had at the time." :)

> Relying on technology makes your God given senses null and void.

We rely pretty heavily on the technology we call parachute rigging nowadays. True, you can skydive without a rig, but not very often.

People sometimes do rely too much on additional technology, but that's both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse that people might consider not being as altitude aware because they have an AAD, but it's definitely a good thing that more people are surviving that mistake. It's Booth's Law in action.

Come on, that's ridiculous. I would NEVER rely on my cell phone to pull for me. :S It just is a very useful tool IF you land off/get injured/whatever. I would never plan to land off or be less cautious just because I have a cell phone on me. Most the times I'm jumping I forget I even have it with me until I'm actually back on the ground.

I agree that anyone who is physically able to pull their main or reserve and has only their AAD save them needs to not be jumping anymore.

Just wanted to quote you on that. :P

Had I had nothing out when I had my Cypress fire, I would have never jumped again. [:/]

I agree that anyone who is physically able to pull their main or reserve and has only their AAD save them needs to not be jumping anymore.

Just wanted to quote you on that. :P

Had I had nothing out when I had my Cypress fire, I would have never jumped again. [:/]

You didn't have enough out to keep your cypres from firing. :|

Anyway.. not going to turn this thread in to a cypres thread. There's plenty of those.

I dont carry my cell when I jump. Mostly because its more like a PDA and it would break. But as I told Laura last night, its good to know she has hers on her. If I see her land off, I can just call her and find out if shes ok rather than worry until we find her.

Playing a little bit of devils advocate here, but carrying your phone is not without it's own risks.

In a bad landing you can break it or it can injure you. Particularly if it is in a pants pocket (front or rear).

Is it safer to put in a jumpsuit pocket on your upper body?

I have jumped with it in my pants pocket. for some reason I have a tendancy to PLF to my left, so I put my cell in the right pocket and no problems. Even with the off field PLF landings :P
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Edited to add: I'm not sure if the guy at Spaceland who landed off the DZ and got out of his harness but was otherwise too injured to seek help had a cell phone. I bet he didn't, and the outcome of that might have been much different if he had been able to place a call. :|

He did not have a cell phone on him:( He may have lived if he had one, I cary one all the time now for that reason.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

... and did you educate these "brain surgeon", "rocket scientist", "50lb head" types that they shouldn't expect to land back a the DZ on a friggin' balloon jump!!!

:D:D

What did they try to do... give the balloon pilot corrections?? "Dude... 90 right and go back the other way a couple of miles..."

:D:D:D

Anyway, sorry to hear it stress y'all out. Hope you smacked them well. ;)

And taking a cell phone and letting someone know ahead of time what you're up to on such a jump is a very good idea... as is Sangrio's idea of taking a couple of sticks or some other suitable materials to start a signal fire... :D... and maybe a couple of emergency beers...

:D:D:D:D:D

In all seriousness... didn't Patrick Swazye's brother survive a BASE jump gone bad a few years back now because he had a cell phone with him and was able to call for help before he bled out?

Cell phones are cheap. Even if you have a nice one - buy a second cheap one and jump with it all the time. I jump with my Blackberry. Never know when you're going to get a long spot. Never know when you're going to land in the bushes and break a leg - how long until they find you lying in some bushes?

You'll get faster emergency response if you've got a cell phone. Probably a good idea to turn it off when you're in the plane though :P Pilots hate the radio static.

we never had cell phones and did this stuff all the time ORGANIZATION key word

Back in the day, we used to jump out of a Cessna - two people on each pass. Lots of people watched the landings. These days, we have several planes at one DZ dropping 23 jumpers on each pass. I agree that it should be organized better - probably best if everyone is looking out for a few other people on the load. But times have changed the organization necessary.

I've had one or two friends land off and break one or both legs, to be discovered 45 minutes later, and get to the hospital a few hours later. Funny thing - when a young woman goes missing, people figure it out in about 2 minutes. Maybe we should pay as much attention to everyone on the load ;)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD