shermanator

how often do you do in air handle check?

Another thread got me thinking about this, and after seeing one picture, wwent to look at some of my own pictures, which verified the same thing. HERE

How often do you check where your handles are, on a dive. We know that muscle memory is essential to performing EPs when the stuff hits the fan, so we practice on the ground, and in the plane.

Also, they can move around on us, while flying *especially the pillow handles*. Personally, I don't check the handles enough, when on the dive, which I should. I've checked for position while under canopy, because that is another time i have heard they can move around on me, but never really checked them while in freefal.

That other thread, made me realize that I need to be doing this, to get that muscle memory as well, rather than just depending on the 'perfect situation' of handles being where they are supposed to be, in non wind situations. It can also be a good idea to do a 'blind check.' Run your hands down the main web to the handles. hmmm, I think i am just rambling. maybe someone can better word the importance of what I am trying to say?

edit: [url http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3130606#3130606]OTHER THREAD[url]
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Use to when i first started. Now, i never touch my handles.
If i am on my belly i might find myself checking my hackey in freefall but i dont check my handle while freeflying.

I check before i leave the plane around 10 times or so but apart from that not in freefall.

I doubt many people check their handle when in a sit or on their head.

I am sure it would be difficult to run your hand down to your handles while you are on your head. I have taken a year off though so maybe i just remember it wrong.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

So far, I do it every 17 jumps. :)
If a malfunction doesn't stand you up and you use a two-handed EP, are there potential problems that might come from having a somewhat head-down attitude when deploying your reserve.

(ps - I'm not asking for advice. ;) )

- David

SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

How often do you check where your handles are, on a dive. We know that muscle memory is essential to performing EPs when the stuff hits the fan, so we practice on the ground, and in the plane.

My g/f brought up this question a few weeks after getting her A, and I had never really thought about it for some reason (I always check them repeatedly on the plane, but never in freefall, until she asked).

Now I do it whenever I have the occasion (meaning: whenever it won't get in the way of the dive). If it's a solo sitfly jump, I get on my belly a little early and find the handles. I've been jumping with some newly-licensed people lately (who tend to pull a little higher), so after tracking away I take the extra couple of seconds to find my handles before waving off.

They've actually been pretty easy to find...but I'm glad I tested it out now, instead of fumbling around for them in the event of a high-speed mal.
Signatures are the new black.

I check once as soon as I gear up, once on the way to the plane, and about 100 times before I get out. I always get a pin check and check my handles/hackey before I get to the door and out I go. Never check again, unless I ever need them of course.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

In freefall: every 5 seconds...under canopy: every 10 seconds... walking back to hangar: every 20 seconds. I thought that's the standard that everybody does??
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

In freefall: every 5 seconds...under canopy: every 10 seconds... walking back to hangar: every 20 seconds. I thought that's the standard that everybody does??

Damn Tony, What a smart ass! :S Though I probably wold think less of you if you did not take that softball.... Actually I find that I am only checking in Freefall on Tandems. Before I exit i go through a routine but once out I don't on my sport gear...

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

so tell me, do you feel special?

I was asking , to see if anyone does checks in practice. I for one, have never checked in freefall, not sure i would really have time when on a jump, but it is almost alarming how much the soft handle pillows fly out away from where they are 'supposed' to be when in freefall.

Not everyone can be a skygod :|:D
CSA #720

I've touched them in freefall before. I did so when I first started jumping because one of my mentors recommended doing it.

I've touched them more recently -- a few times during long dives to formations or when I've rubbed up against something or someone on exit and it felt rough.

My cutaway does flop outwards a bit but nothing surprising touch-wise. I have a metal reserve handle and it stays flat against my body.

I do look at them on every jump once I'm under canopy and have checked my airspace. I don't necessarily touch them but I just check to see that they are still seated. (a halfway out cutaway handle could be ugly and I know someone who had that happen and didn't notice until after landing...and just about fainted at the thought of what *could* have happened at say, 100 feet).

I personnally never checked them while in freefall ... until the day i had to use them : they were where they're supposed to ... :)

--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Every malfunction.. check to see that they are there. Then use them. ;)

Kidding aside, I do check them in freefall when doing solos. Not very often, but often enough I feel. I have checked them in all sorts of attitudes as well... I have put hands in to protect them while in freeflying positions and someone gets close to them.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Speaking personally, I always checked them on the plane ride up, but never in a skydive. Didn't find the need to I suppose..or just wasn't trained to. Back on the 10th of this month I has my first cutaway when I encountered a violently spinning mal. I found my cutuawy handles when I needed to within a second, and I landed safely under my reserve.

Since I read this I might do a handle check during a solo dive to expirement. But...in my *very* humble opinion if one practices EPs regularly, it shouldnt be too hard too find them when it matters.

It occurs to me that though you have heard about handles coming out in freefall, you must also have heard that they don't. People with thousands upon thousands of jumps have never reported anything like it. Which means that when it does happen it is rare and likely the result of something out of the ordinary for "standard and accepted" procedures, such as being bumped in the plane. It is far more likely that a metal handle- not a pillow - due to their weight, will be the one to come out. So, in the plane and especially after we have begun jostling about getting ready to get out, I will check no fewer than 420 times. I'm a paranoid freak about and I don't trust anyone on that plane - myself included - to not manhandle my rig just enough to kill me. So I check both handles, both flaps (main & reserve) and the pilot chute & riser covers. I do not ask for a pin check but I will confirm that the flap has not been forced open AFTER I do my own pin check before putting the rig on. Asking for a pin check is asking someone to undo the flap and look for something they probably don't know what they are looking for or at. (f the pin is in I will likely know that. It is a bridle routing check that interests me more.)
Did I get off topic again? Fuck! Gotta watch that stuff.

I am aware that handles coming out is a rare problem, that is not really what i was thinking about whith my original post. I was looking at some pictures whwere the handles were floating out the the side, probably not directly where someone would go to grab in a high speed mal. I found the pictures interesting, And though I am sure that in a high speed mal, i will have no problem finding my handle, even if it is pushed aside from the wind. It is interesting to see how different people feel about this.
CSA #720