Skylark

Unfriendly UK dropzones

I made my first jump at a UK dropzone yesterday, after many jumps in Europe and the United States. I had been told that some UK dropzones were particularly frosty to newcomers and was disapointed to discover this was indeed true.

I had asked to borrow a jumpsuit and inquired whether there was somewhere I could change. I was thrown a look as if I were stupid and told I should change in the reception area, despite it being full of members of the public purchasing tandem tickets. I eventually changed in the toilets.

Nobody had told me that carrying a hook-knife was mandatory at this dropzone. I was just about to get on my first load when a member of staff stopped me.

"Where's your hook-knife?", he barked.

"I don't have one".

"Right, get this person off the load!" he angrily shouted.

I stood there, feeling a bit stupid and embarrased, not knowing what the problem was and convinced I would lose my slot after waiting two hours. Eventually somebody suggested I simply borrow a knife, which are always lying around dropzones. I borrowed the knife and had an uneventful jump.

Upon walking back to the hangar, an instructor told me I had dragged my hired canopy, "...all the way back from the landing area". I was ordered to turn around and pick it up. That's ok. But it was the way I was ordered about like a naughty child, not a responsible adult that made me feel most unwelcome and stupid. I was hardly dragging my canopy at all, anyway.

Where were the smiles, the welcomes and the friendly faces I was used to in Europe and America? Where was the willingness to help newcomers feel at home? Why did there seem to be such a military atmosphere? Why couldn't the instructor simply ask me if I wanted to borrow a knife, rather than trying to pull me off the load?

The rest of the day was fine and most others I met were friendly. But there was definately a 'members only' feeling, rather like one gets at a stuffy old golf-club that won't accept female members. Come on guys, chill-out!

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

Nobody had told me that carrying a hook-knife was mandatory at this dropzone.

Its not a DZ thing, its a UK thing.

That doesn't excuse instructors being rude to people.

I promise you this would not have happened at my DZ. I think some users of uk.rec.skydiving have become a bit annoyed of late because it has become more like uk.rec.peterlee, but I think it gives some idea of what our dz is like.

So, next time you're around, come to peterlee. It may be small, and up north (can you handle the northerners) but it is definatly the most friendly dz in the country Ive ever been to. I may be a bit biased, and Ive only been to a few, but so far its the best.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I wish I could appologise on behalf of British DZ's but Im only a skydiver and have been treated in exactly the same way on a number of times. [:/]

I can only assume its cos nearly all DZ's in england are run by ex-military bods and thats simply the only way they have ever done things.

They need some good old american Capitalism instilled in them. they ALWAYS forget that we are CUSTOMERS - abuse us and loose us.

Happily not all DZ's are like this... go somewhere else. I guarantee there are better experiances to be had eslwhere in the country.

Check out Alanab's thread in talkback for loads of reviews on UK DZ's or just ask again here.

I'd rather not set hares running by naming and shaming. It could cause me problems, I'm sure. Hopefully word will get round of this post and UK dropzones will think twice about being so unfriendly in future.

I'd rather not set hares running by naming and shaming. It could cause me problems, I'm sure. Hopefully word will get round of this post and UK dropzones will think twice about being so unfriendly in future.

Go on... give us a clue...!

Vicki

come to peterlee......so far its the best.

Ive only ever been to Peterlee but when I first went I was shitting myself cos I went by myself (my mates arent interested in skydiving) and straight away seen that there were loads of Uni students and regulars who all knew each other so I thought it would be a nightmare getting "in there" but EVERYONE ive talked to there has been more than happy to help me and have shown no "who the hell is he?" attitudes. So definately dont judge all UK DZ's because of one. Peterlee is top dog!

It may be small, and up north (can you handle the northerners)

And us northerners are bloody brilliant!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody had told me that carrying a hook-knife was mandatory at this dropzone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its not a DZ thing, its a UK thing.

but should be common skydiver thing...B|
Go to Hinton they are way fun:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I get the feeling a geordie or a scouser might scare you

Geordie might scare you, but a scouser might steal your wallet! I was amazed when I went to a different DZ because I was used to Ian at Peterlee moving heaven and earth to get you on the load you wanted, or finding an instructor for you, yet when I went somewhere else the CCI only wanted to talk to you when you were writing out a cheque.

So I'm going back to Peterlee this weekend to (hopefully) get my cat. 8 (20 months after my first jump!)

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"