Hooknswoop

Rate Yourself

Is this a question about skydivers, or about human nature? :P

I remember a news poll that asked the same thing about drivers - how well do you drive an automobile compared to others? There were more choices, excellent, above average, average, below average, poor. Something like 85% said they were "above average". Then they asked what they thought of other drivers - more than 50% said that all the others drivers on the road were all "below average" :S I'm not sure most people understand the concept of "average" :D

FYI - I rated myself average. Except for all the vertical falling parts! There, I am way, way above average :P Compared to others with the same experience. Except for those others that have the same experience as me, but just as much tunnel time with really, really good instructors. But slightly better than those with my same experience and tunnel time, but not as good of a wind tunnel. And, oh yeah, did I mention my tunnel shoes are vegan? :D

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

How good of a skydiver are you compared to other skydivers with a similar experience level?

Derek

If you mean no tunnel, and similar jump numbers over a similar time period, I'd say slightly below average.

Everything i do in skydiving seems to be quite a bit of work to get right[:/] Nothing comes naturally to me like it does to quite a few younger ones i see
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey Derek,

Something I posted a few years ago. I think it addresses the question you have raised.

Rob Harris, Dave Wilds, Tom Piras, Roger Nelson……..They were Gods, World Champions, Icons.

They had natural talent, incredible skills and were hugely current………And yet the ground offered them no concession for their level of skill or experience.

There are few, now or in the future, who will reach their level in this game we play.

Never for a moment become so arrogant as to believe you are the one that has what it takes to avoid their fate.

If one person has come up to you and suggested that “what you are doing is not smart”, “You need to slow down”, “You are not ready for that” or any of the well used warning phrases that is your first wake up call. If you heed this warning and modify your behavior there is a chance you will last past the tourist period. (5 - 10 years)
If two or more people have approached you and voiced one of those “phrases” and you responded with, “I can handle it”, “I learn faster than most”, “I know what I am doing”, or any of the other well used “stay out of my business” phrases, you have a good chance of not making your tourist period.

Sparky

Edited to add:

None of us are nearly as good as we would like to believe.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What makes a skydiver? their ability to fly in a tunnel for 10 hours and go sit fly on jump 40?

A skydiver to me is someone who knows their gear and learns it for the love of rigging, thats a skydiver.

Too many folks treat their shit like a car and get it checked now and then without knowing dick.

But but... its all about the matching jump suit!!!

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

What makes a skydiver? their ability to fly in a tunnel for 10 hours and go sit fly on jump 40?
----Maybe
A skydiver to me is someone who knows their gear and learns it for the love of rigging, thats a skydiver.
----Ya think? Is that all it takes?
Too many folks treat their shit like a car and get it checked now and then without knowing dick.
----True. One is too many
----Absolutely! Gotta look cool ;)

Sorry for being argumentitive. I've been trying not to respond to this, but can't help myself!
Are the best racecar drivers mechanics?
Do we really have to LOVE rigging?
Seems like a pretty narrow view to me.
To the OP: I rate myself AWESOME...
I have a cool suit! :ph34r:
But what do I know?

----Maybe
----Ya think? Is that all it takes?
----True. One is too many
----Absolutely! Gotta look cool ;)

Sorry for being argumentitive. I've been trying not to respond to this, but can't help myself!
Are the best racecar drivers mechanics?
Do we really have to LOVE rigging?
Seems like a pretty narrow view to me.
To the OP: I rate myself AWESOME...
I have a cool suit! :ph34r:

I believe that the best race car drivers are thoroughly familiar with the machinery they drive and many of them started out prepping their own machinery before being picked up by a works team.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I believe that the best race car drivers are thoroughly familiar with the machinery they drive and many of them started out prepping their own machinery before being picked up by a works team.
I agree with you, but think that it is not required to be a good driver. Look at Tom Cruise in 'Days of Thunder.'
I'm only arguing this because of being stuck out in the Gulf of Mexico on a rig and can't jump :(
I know I won't win.
Your suit is cooler than mine. ;)
But what do I know?