Sletzer

How did you're first Hop & Pop go?

I'm a S/L student...I did absolutely awesome on all of my PRCPS but when it came time for my first HNP I flipped and flopped all over the place!...

When I was debriefed my coach was pretty disappointed because it was the first time I had messed up since day one...not so perfect after all he thought...

well...I kept flipping on a few more after that, I de-arched on some but a couple times i was in a nice arch but still flipped...[:/]...we tried all kinds of stuff to help but I eventually did a tandem by about my fourteenth jump...[:/]everything has been good since...B|

I'm not weird...just cool that's all...!!!!
*SWEEEET*

JUST STARTED JUMPING THIS PAST YEAR... I ACTUALLY DID MY TWO HNP THIS WEEKEND. THEY BOTH WENT WELL. THAT IS AFTER A LOT A LOT OF MENTALLY PREPARING MY HEAD. MY FATHER AND MY BOYFRIEND WERE IN THE PLANE FOR BOTH JUMPS SO MY ADRENALINE WAS OUT OF CONTROL. BUT THE FEELINGS AFTERWARDS WERE AMAZING. AND TO WATCH MY DAD AND BOYFRIEND JUMP OUT AFTER, I WILL NEVER FORGET. :)

Mine went relatively well. It was my first jump from the Cessna, so climbing onto the step was a bit nerve wracking, as was getting out so low. Went well though. 5 second delay (longest 5 seconds EVER) and an uneventful deployment. Good times.

Reading this thread has made me think I should start doing more HnP's. When I do them I usually do them from 14k; never done them low from the King Air. I'll have to give 'em a try. Need to work on my accuracy for my C license anyways.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

It was my first 182 exit as well. I am glad that I had watched a number of videos showing exits from 182 steps. I saw that a good amount of the jumpers did a lot of weathervaning on exit. I just used the same exit body position as a poised exit from a left-side door (but with arms at shoulder-level and back), and made sure that I was stable with the relative wind before reaching back to deploy. It was kind of nice being the only canopy in the air.

vid
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Have to do Hop´n´Pop soon and I do admit I am a bit worried... If I screw it up and use like 5 seconds to get stable and the main opens slow.. so another 4 or so. That gets me down to what? 1500?1000?

no no no .....
there is a huge difference between getting out at 3,500 and starting to fall.....

and busting through 3 -5 on a jump from 13 grand...

you're only just STARTINg to accelerate on the H & P ... as compared to burning almost 200 feet a second, once you're at terminal velocity...

follow???

so NO worries... it will take a while to eat up that first thousand feet....
often people get too carried away with "having to pull right away".....
Clear the plane, concentrating on a good body position, try to SEE the plane , as you exit...
FEEL and HEAR the airspeed increase,,,, and Deploy.......

you'll do fine.. listen to your instructors advice...
you'll likely be above 2500 feet at opening...

...... sidebar...
What is the effect of a "student cypres" on a H & P scenario,,, IF the exit is under 3, 500 AND if the student is slooooow to the pull...and DOES get 'low'??

would the AAD fire???. not sure what altitude the student AAD's are set to fire...
will the AAD properly arm itself from 3 500

or do you need to be going at terminal... for it to operate as intended?

jmy

Times have changed. I came from the days when your first hop n pop was your first non-static line jump. I can't identify with having 8 or 9 minutes of freefall time and then having to do a hop n pop. Is it spooky?
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

You're a coach and you don't know the parameter's of student AAD's???

For Cypres's, if a student exits at 3500', they have approximately 20 seconds of FF before they hit 1250' when it fires. If someone goes up for a HNP and ends up taking a 20 second delay, maybe the Cypres fire will be enough to wake them up to the fact that they shouldn't be skydiving.

S/L'ers usually don't have a problem with pulling in time as its the same as their last three jumps but with a real rip cord.

Aff'ers get to do a practice HNP from 5500' before they go to 3500'. If they can't do it within reason on the 5500' I would hope that their instructor or coach doesn't clear them for the 3500'. So the chances of a AAD fire because they go too low is slim.

Then you would have an expert Cypres in your rig. Our student transition gear at my dz has expert Cypres's.

The point is still the same. I used the student Cypres parameters to demonstrate how much time one would have to pull before a fire. Using expert Cypres parameters would only validate my point further that if someone can't do a HNP without a Cypres fire, they shouldn't be skydiving. Or at the very least, would need an extremely serious discussion of pull priorities.

Student Cypres activation is split into 2 altitudes. At normal freefall speeds, it fires at 750 feet just like an Expert Cypres. The higher firing altitude is for partial malfunctions that haven't been cut away, or speed that is higher than flight under a "good" canopy, but lower than freefall speed. See this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=479307#479307 for further information and links to the manuals.

thanks for your insight...

i did earn a coach rating a few years ago...

used it some, but sadly have not been as current as i would have liked....
and Honestly , today,,, i was not certain of the student cypres firing altitude.. that's why i asked...( i know the parameters of the AAD which i use,,,it THAT ok??? )

i guess i am/was better suited to jumping with novices 20 and 30 years ago,,, when i would gladly serve as a base, for anyone, ( buying my OWN lift ticket),, so that THEY could learn, and develop confidence.. did that for years and years and years..........waaay before any ratings, like coach AFF or even tandem....were around...

sorry if my memory fails from time to time, and I have to ASK a question...

thanks for your thoughtful comments.

jmy
a 3914
d 12122
uspa # 9452

found out later I almost hit the back stablizer (pilot had slowed down, so it was my fault),

Really? What kind of plane was it?

Beware of exaggerations in this sport. I'm not saying you didn't almost hit the stabilizer. It's been done before with fatal results. But it's hard to do on most jump planes if they are being flown correctly.

My first hopandpop, butter.:)

i guess i am/was better suited to jumping with novices 20 and 30 years ago,,, when i would gladly serve as a base, for anyone, ( buying my OWN lift ticket),, so that THEY could learn, and develop confidence.. did that for years and years and years..........waaay before any ratings, like coach AFF or even tandem....were around...

We don't charge for coaching or instruction at our dz still. We pay our own lift ticket, we pack our own main. So the old school skydiving way of life that you so kindly had a part of is still being paid forward and backwards for a few of us. Thanks for making it that way!!! Truely....THANK YOU!!!!

Like butter, but I was shitting my pants, I was nervous sitting by the door during my course when people were getting out low.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Mine went fine. Chose to do my hop n pop and first pack job on the same jump. Figured the subterminal opening would help with any potential hard opening caused by packing for the first time. Softest opening I've had to date.
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

It was a Super King Air, but like I said, I JUMPED my student style exit (I was used to diving out). Meaning I jumped UP and out when I left the plane. It was a really bad mistake- one I won't ever make again.

That's a big reason I needed to focus on the next jump and nail it. This sport seems to have a really steep learning curve- at least I've ticked off one more thing I'll conscientiously never do again.

And my coach is the one who told me I almost hit the plane- I didn't realize it at first. Hope that clarifies things. (Glad yours went like butter, I'd like to think all mine except the first one will too :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Hop 'n pop was not that thrill to me - after AFF was finished, 10 consults were done, I had to exit at 1500 m.
OK, door openend, I did a stable exit and fool I was: Placed my hand on hackey, 500 m lower it still was placed there and then, suddenly: Fool, pull!! OK, done.

On my video, later I saw that all of the time, my hand was perfectly placed on hackey but, I did not pull! Don't know why. At 1000m I pulled, all went well.

I love hop'n pops. Doing a good exit, beeing stable quickly, pulling, everything is OK.

Next were from 1200m, I loved it and still do.

No need to be nervous.

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I think mine went pretty smooth, although, I think my hand was on the ripcord almost as soon as my ass was off the edge of the plane, lol. It was from 3500'. The weirdest part for me was the actual pull. I went through the TRCP program, where you had to put a $5 deposit on your handle, and if you lost it, you lost your money. So I was like 'YEAH!!! I held on!!!' and then when I started with squares, it was like 'Yeah!!! I got it!! Oh shit! I hafta let go!!' lol.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Did mine in 1976 in Seneca Falls, NY out of this very aircraft (a DH Beaver), standing on that little bar under the door. Also my first freefall & packjob. BTW, Kinger (3rd from left) was my FJC instructor, and Dick 'Ski (4th from left) was my 1st jump JM.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=76396;

That's some funny shit, First free fall was a clear and pull, hop and pop, jump and dump. I felt safer doing clear and pulls then longer free falls. one over cast day all we could ge was 3000 feet, we jumped a all day and the people who went AFF were scared, you haven't lived unless you have taken a 4-way out the door, turned a point or two from 3000 feet.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

I saved mine until later in the coach jumps because my exits were sometimes sketchy. Before I did them I went up on a couple solos to practice my exit and get comfortable. H&P went fine, but I did get the whole "holy sh*t the ground looks close!" and the "OMG this opening sequence is taking too long!!"...All-in-all the jump demonstrated exactly what it was supposed to and I'm still here :)

[reply) you haven't lived unless you have taken a 4-way out the door, turned a point or two from 3000 feet.

Thats the way!! With the advent of the super fast canopies and the SLOW snivelers, this is going on less and less. I still keep my fury in date and ready to go for just such an occasion though. Unfortunately no one else keeps their Fury ready.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.