Veeder79

jump prices

Brenda at manifest says its going to go up even more soon. :( This sucks, I really cant afford that. I wonder how much Elsinore is going to raise their prices.

Just get on a 4 or 8 way team, visit with a group from another country, be part of a military training group, or buy in bulk, then you'll get a discount. :P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Lodi is still $15 and $13 for a block of 50

I see this everywhere, but I can't wrap my brain around it. Is the DZO a trust funder? Do their planes run on water? How can the DZ break even with such low prices? What's the secret?

Skydive Orange just had to go to $25 about a month ago.

I wonder if their $99 tandems have gone up or if they are the same.

All I've ever heard is volume. He can have his prices so low because it's effectively a tandem mill. I'm sure him owning everything outright has something to do with it too.

Yea, but this is confusing. In Europe they are charged what $5-8 "USD" for gas? I've heard so many Europeans complain about this but I'm sure it's not as bad as they want us (Americans) to believe. I've never looked hard into this, but I am willing to bet people get paid better over there, plus in some places people get things like free health care or just really cheap health care, so it probably evens out? (Then again I would never trust a European to tell me the truth about this - as most I've met seem to be full of it). lol

I think you'd find it really IS that bad. I pay a higher % of my take home pay per litre of petrol than I would if I worked most places in the US, so the amount of fuel I can buy per paycheck is much lower.

the extra potential benefits like health care do not count for much as I have to spend a significant portion of my salary each month on extra healthcare for my family. That's unless you want to wait 6-8 weeks for operations that doctors in civilised countries would insist that you have within a week for health reasons. That further decreases my buying power and disposable income.

The cost of jump tickets here is currently between GBP20 and GBP24 depending on where you jump, so around $40 per lift. That's after the $70 fuel for the round trip to the DZ.

>Wow. Just wow.

Pretty soon they will have to have an electronic sign in the office that says "Today's surcharge is ___3___ dollars." That way Katie can have a remote control in her office and up it whenever they get a new shipment of fuel.

23 at the ranch bitches heheheheheeee:ph34r:

Yeah, keep laughing, I paid $17 a slot there 2 years ago.

It was $22 when I was there over Memorial Day weekend. Delmarva was $25 and Cross Keys $24.

So what. Save money elsewhere. Buy less cups of Starbuck's or cancel cable TV.

Ala the new Harley mantra - "Screw it, let's skydive!"

All I've ever heard is volume. He can have his prices so low because it's effectively a tandem mill. I'm sure him owning everything outright has something to do with it too.

Reminds me of the old joke about losing $1 on each sale but making it up in volume.

Still a mystery to me how it is possible without cutting some pretty big corners.

- Dan G

Cutting corners?
DUDE! ALL the tandem rigs are Brand New SIGMA
The Otters have been recently overhauled.
Free snacks and rubber bands.

I don't see any corners being cut.

That's awesome. Glad the hear it. The question still remains: How do they do it?

Do they own the planes, the land, the fual farms, etc outright (i.e. no mortgage/lease)? Do they pay next to nothing to the pilots, instructors, packers, riggers? Do they get insurance at a much lower price that the rest of the industry? Are they A&P's and do all their own aircraft maintenance?

At my DZ here is a quick tanden cost breakdown: $50 for two Otter slots, $35 to the tandem instructor, $18 to the packer. That is $103 before you start factoring in rig maintenance, property rent, insurance, electricity, water, etc. Admittedly, we pay staff better than most, so there is one place to save money.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls. I would just like to get some insight into the business model that allows a DZ to keep afloat with $99 tandems as the main source of income (while at the same time buying a fleet of new rigs, overhauling multiple turbine engines, and giving away food).

- Dan G

But he does pay his packers and instructors the lowest rates I've seen anywhere.

TI's make usually $30 a jump= $20+tip packet. They do conciderably MORE jumps then any other DZ in the area, or maybe the state for that matter. If you want to work as a TI at Lodi, they'll give you every chance to make good money, but you just have to do just that, WORK. Not pussyfoot around in your cool jumpsuit and do 4 tandems, expecting to make alot of money. :D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Oh it is!!![:/] In the UK it was $42 USD 2 years ago at my home DZ, in Germany I paid $25 Euro's a jump in 2006.

We moved from Snohomish, WA in Feb this year and it's about $26 USD a lob.

In fact I'm working in Montreal right now and the local DZ's charge $35 CDN = $35 USD at the moment.

I was down at the ranch last weekend, great DZ and "ONLY" $23 a lob B|

"Know your own limits"