Squeak

Single point restraint / Seat belts

That's a very interesting article. I have the dubious "pleasure" of having been in a 182 crash/off field landing. Everyone on board was wearing seatbelts and I firmly believe that having proper restraints AND the pilot reacting 100% correctly is why we all lived. Not only that, but not a single person was injured.

Thank you again PilotMike, you saved my life that day five years ago.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I will chew a fellow jumper out if they aren't wearing one.

I don't need to be killed by your body, or your camera helmet when it could have been a survivable crash. :o

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Right after the Perris Otter crash Sandy Reid suggested a hook in method for skydiving harnesses. You would just clip in to a floor mounted anchor. It made sense, since you were already wearing the best body harness ever.

But FAA bullshit (not invented here) and the overall liability aspect of it squashed the whole idea.

So just sit there and die, that's what you paid 22 bucks for . . .

NickD :)

Right after the Perris Otter crash Sandy Reid suggested a hook in method for skydiving harnesses. You would just clip in to a floor mounted anchor. It made sense, since you were already wearing the best body harness ever.

But FAA bullshit (not invented here) and the overall liability aspect of it squashed the whole idea.

So just sit there and die, that's what you paid 22 bucks for . . .

NickD :)

I noticed that at the DZs i visited in the States that they all use the same type of 2 strap old seat belt method.
We here in OZ use a Single point quick release hook (like a BIG RSL clip) that you attach to your harness.
It has been shown that they have a downside when under load, a Tandem exited the plane still attached and the load prevented it from releasing.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

here in Can we still use the good ol' seat belt method, and we have to get secured to take off ... as all our stock (cams, helmets ...) have to be.
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

I was responding to this comment by Squeek.

I noticed that at the DZs i visited in the States that they all use the same type of 2 strap old seat belt method.

I know that they are aproved restraint systems.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/oamtechreports/1990s/media/9811.pdf Better than submarining out of a lap belt while sitting on the floor of an airplane. Please make sure you are using TSOed Hooker Harness Tag Line belts ( Im not their salesman ) I have seen DZ made belts that look like tag lines but in an accident they would tighten down on your harness and you couldnt get them off durring the resulting fire. Please place them through your main lift web instead of your leg strap. Your head will travel shorter distances in the crash, it is harder to forget to remove and make it half way out of a Cessna U206 still wearing it. A couple of people know what I am talking about. Spell check locks up my browzer.

These TSOed restraints are only certified to 6Gs. Most Cessna seat belt attach points are also just 6 Gs. If you take a close look it is only a little aluminum track or thin skins riveted together holding you in place. 203E was crushed to Station 111. Not a soft crash. Ill bet much greater than 6 Gs.

Good article, thenks for that.
They still look to be a seat belt type buckling system. how do these fare underload?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That was all a plot - by Sandy - to sell more Flexons ... seeing as how Flexon was the first rig built with hip rings.
Tee!
Hee!
In 1997, Sandy told me to prepare a Flexon, Racer, Javelin, etc. for the FAA crash sled tests that resulted in the 1998 report mentioned by another poster. After Sandy showed us the third video of crash sled tests, we replied "ho hum, Hooker's System will save a few lives, now we have to get back to work."
When I spoke to Jack Hooker last month, he reassured me that he had sold plenty of belts in Canada, but Transport Canada (Federal gov't equivalent of the FAA) still gives some DZOs a hard time about installing anything except for stock Cessna seatbelts.
Speaking of stock Cessna seatbelts ... last month I hooked one around the back of my shoe. I was lucky that the shoe came off on exit, but my foot still throbs!
My opinion of stock Cessna seatbelts cannot be repeated in polite company! ^%$#@!

When I spoke to Jack Hooker last month, he reassured me that he had sold plenty of belts in Canada, but Transport Canada (Federal gov't equivalent of the FAA) still gives some DZOs a hard time about installing anything except for stock Cessna seatbelts.

Rob, outside of Skydiving where else would this type of restraint be usefull? Since most GA planes have proper seats.

Rob, outside of Skydiving where else would this type of restraint be usefull? Since most GA planes have proper seats.

You are correct.
There are few legitimate uses for Hooker Tag Line Belts, except for skydiving.
Even most bush planes (Twin Otters, Hueys, etc.) have folding cloth seats that work with stock setbelts.
I am just frustrated over Transport Canada's hypocritical attitude of legally requiring seatbelts be installed in jump planes, but refusing to approve the only system that works for skydivers.
Think about it ... Air Forces with billion dollar budgets were never able to invent a decent restraint system for parachutists, but a red neck engineer like Jack hooker developed a workable system for 1/100 the price.
Some times red necks get it right.

Maybe I am grumpy because my foot still throbs a month after a disagreement with a stock Cessna seatbelt.

>It made sense, since you were already wearing the best body harness ever.

Skydiving harnesses are designed to take load in one direction only. If you "clipped into" a lateral or a chest strap, you'd see failure faster than you can say "lawsuit."

Now, if manufacturers made it a point to design a single hardpoint for attachment of a restraint, it wouldn't be hard at all, and the system would be fairly robust. But so far to my knowledge no one has done that.

Im sure the aircraft seat belt attach point would fail first. I think the main lift web would not fail that easy. The sled test didnt show any ejections of the dummys out of the harnesses or major harness failures at the required 6 Gs.

> Im sure the aircraft seat belt attach point would fail first. I think the
>main lift web would not fail that easy.

Right - but if you just had, say, a carabiner, it would often get hooked to chest and lateral straps - and those do fail pretty quickly. You'd have to design in an attachment point to be used with such a system (or have a separate harness system.)