Ladybug

Help! I'm afraid to land!

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice guys. I'm not giving up, I'm just waiting out my recovery. I'll be back on that horse, uh, I mean - airplain, again soon.

Definitely don't give up. I have a whopping 25 jumps, and only stood up my last 4. The first of them, I was so stunned that I was on my feet, I just stood there and let the canopy fall on my head. My husband found that hilarious.

I had a lot of coaches watching me land and giving me feedback. My husband had taken pics of me landing and that actually showed a lot of problems with how I was doing things that I hadn't even really thought about (and made it easier for me to visualize what coaches were telling me). I have my own rig now, so for the last 10 or so jumps have been under the same canopy. That helped a lot too, that consistency in how it flies.

I would love to take a canopy control course, but there are none in this area that I am aware of. It is something I'd jump at in a heartbeat though. Brian Germaine's book is extremely well written too, and that was helpful.

Hang in there! I every jump I learn something. My mental priorities are first being safe, second learn something from every jump you do and apply it to the next jump and finally have fun.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My favorite trick to practicing landings:
Go find an escalator--- the approach for a landing on an escalator is surprisingly good! You can also practice your 'accuracy technique' and develop a good sight picture for what the approach should look like and flare height It's really easy to measure what 12 ft above the ground is so you know what ground should 'look like' at `12 ft'.
All of this, nice, slow and added bonus - escalators are free! Nothing like getting to practice skydiving while on shopping trip to the mall...
Big drawback - if you fall, people are gonna laugh--alot :)

I jumped the sabre 190 because my husband and I rent. Someone larger had already rented the 250 he usually flies, so he wanted to jump the 220 I usually fly. One of my instructors felt that I was ready - In retrospect, I'm not so sure.

Check out what you wrote. "In retrospect, I'm not so sure." Your instructors should know if you are ready or not by your previous landings and how you are doing with your canopy. BUT...If you felt uncomfortable jumping the smaller canopy, then take that as a gut instinct.

I've been watching a guy recently downsize really fast just because of what is 'available' to jump. That is uneccesary and I cross my fingers everytime I watch him land. I do not have a lot of experience, so I feel I can somewhat relate. If someone were to say "Hey Amanda, dont worry about renting, just jump my Sabre 150." Yeah, I'd get to jump...and yeah..I would 'more than likely' be okay...wouldn't have to pay for rental....wouldn't be wingloading too high on it, BUT...I know where my comfort zone is.
:)

My favorite trick to practicing landings:
Go find an escalator--- the approach for a landing on an escalator is surprisingly good! You can also practice your 'accuracy technique' and develop a good sight picture for what the approach should look like and flare height It's really easy to measure what 12 ft above the ground is so you know what ground should 'look like' at `12 ft'.
All of this, nice, slow and added bonus - escalators are free! Nothing like getting to practice skydiving while on shopping trip to the mall...
Big drawback - if you fall, people are gonna laugh--alot :)

Escalator - cool idea. B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I have to jump in here too. (no pun intended);)

I had a compression fracture of my sacrum (tailbone) and pelvic fracture on my 10th jump. I was off work for 12 weeks. I made 11th jump 16 weeks later.

I'm not afraid but I know I am overthinking this alot. I am like you, in that I don't care to downsize quickly. I would be so happy to stand up my landings and look like something more than a carnival act when I land.:S

One of my best landings...came with the advice that you don't stop flying the canopy..I was only half flaring and once I did just half flare -- I just rode on whatever I had going. I have learned so much about those last 10 feet. I also yell some ( YIPPEE!!) or sing or whatever so that I don't get all tense on those last few feet coming in. And I do much better now~

It's good to know that I'm not alone~~

Judy
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Just curious-do you wear glasses? Reason for asking is one of the folk I was jumping with recently was really having problems landing; she wasn't wearing her glasses because they didn't fit under her goggles. She bought a pair of goggles that her glasses fit under; wore them....viola! She was standin' em up.
May or may not apply, but thought I'd throw it out in case it might.

Can you explain how you practice on an escalator.
----------------------------------------
Sure!
Get on the 'down' escalator, and imagine you are comin' down under canopy. Granted it is a TON slower but the glideslope is almost perfect and it gives a great 'sight picture' of what the ground looks like 'coming up' at you.

You can practice the accuracy technique (find the point that neither rises or sinks in your view). Since you are on an escalator you KNOW where you're going to end up on the ground so you know if you've done the accuracy technique as well.

You can also 'mark' the point on the escalator that should be a normal 'flair height' so again you can get a good picture of what that looks like above the ground.

Basically all this practice does is get you familiar with visuals on what an approach slope should look like.

It worked for me/really helped me get the flair height/sight picture down when I was starting out....but then again I'm not doing any cool swoops either...no ones designed an escalator with a hook turn in it :)

I do wear glasses (sometimes), but I jump with contacts. Because of my astigmatism, the contacts are warped to fit my oddly shaped eyes. If the contact turns even a little - it makes my vision blur and warps my sense of distance. Now that you mention it - this could definitely be a part of the problem.

You might want to pay a visit to your eye doc. It is NOT normal for your toric contacts to shift/rotate/cause unstable vision. I don't know what brand you are wearing, but some are far more stable than others, it is something to consider. We all give trial lenses just for the purpose of you evaluating stability of vision prior to actually buying anything.

The one thing that helped me a lot is to take goggles off immediately after controllability check. Most goggles are polycarbonate (safety) for obvious reasons. Drawback is that some people are very sensitive to the slight warping in vision that polycarb can cause. Eliminating that warping makes a huge difference. Not too comfortable to have goggles around your neck, but beats crappy landings!

Jen

When I started jumping I had contacts (have done Lasik now). I had astygmatism pretty bad too. I found that my soft contact lenses would start to stick to my eye (and seldom in the right position of course :S) if my goggles didn't fit EXACTLY right and even a little air got through. I got a pair of mini flex Z goggles and really cranked 'm down. Problem solved!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Just wanted to throw my .02 in on the contact thing. I too have a astigmatizm in both eyes. I jump wearing contacts and have had no issues with this brand rotating or shifting in an fashion. In fact I had my helmet once blow off at 9000....(yes i forgot to close the velcro on my oxygen :$) Anyway, I managed not only to keep them from drying out, but they didnt blow out either!

Anyway, I use Sequence 66 Toric lenses and love them!!!
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I had so much trouble finding contacts that I could wear at all, that I'm afraid I've accepted these without much question. They do have a tendancy to turn at odd times, and they are at their worst when I'm reading for long periods of time. For this I prefer my glasses.

What kind are you wearing?

If it's a dry eye issue, Proclear Torics are wonderful. Acuvue Advance Torics will be out soon, and I've heard good things about them so far. My favorite is SofLens 66 Torics, definitely not for everyone, but works well for a majority.

NEVER order contacts that you are not 99%+ satisfied with. There are always other options available, there are hundreds of contacts on the market. If your eye doc won't work with you and take some serious time and several follow ups with you, it's time to find a new one.

If your problem is worst when reading for long periods, it is probably a dryness issue... people tend to not blink as much when reading/using computer. This dries contacts out (so does ride to altitude), and makes them more likely to spin. Ways to fix it are change brands. Also using Pure Eyes or AOSept solution instead of one of the multipurpose ones will eliminate low grade allergies that decrease tears and increase dryness. Be sure you rub your contacts well on removal. If you don't rub them, you are not cleaning them.

Jen

There is some great advice in this thread and maybe I can add a little more from my experience.

When on final don't stare at the ground or the horizon. You want to look at both. Staring at the ground for a while can drastically reduce your depth perception, so I would recommend glancing at both quickly as you are coming in. In other words alternate between the two constantly and quickly (also looking out for traffic of course) 2 seconds each maybe. I think people get fixated on the ground and then misjudge it.

Timing on the speed of the flare makes a difference as well.

I've seen stairs as a great tool for flare speed.

Find some stairs that have 15-20 steps.

Start at the top with your hands as if you are in full flight (toggles up). Start walking down the stairs, as you get lower your hands should be lowering as well, you should get to the bottom of the steps at about the same time your hands are down in front of you (flare position).
Do this then walk down the stairs faster and you should get the same result, full flare with hands as you step down to the last step.
Hope that makes sense.

Good luck

Why do they refuse to flare all the way? and how is it you have not convinced them otherwise? wierd fobia !

It is not a phobia. They just pull their arms down to a little greater than 90 degrees and stop. They don't extend their arms out until completely flared.

Excellent skydiver, over a 1000 jumps, and they buttslide most landings.

If someone points it out, they do ok for 4 or 5 jumps and then back to old habits.

regardless the # of my landings, the first and last bad landing was actually my first parachute landing. before i got back on my second jump a year later, i used to practice in an escalator... imagining myself when to flare... at what height... sometime that year, i run down stairs and AGAIN imagining my self on a parachute ride for landing... it was a good mental excersise... it worked for me... my second and until now, i land soflty... considering my wingload at 1.4 for 7cell F-111 material.

VIDEO is also good... debrief with the best canopy pilot in your DZ... simulate your self (mental exercise)

BLUE ONES!

I wear bifocal glasses or contacts...the contacts dried out too fast and "moved" around...the bifocals worn under goggles were uncomfortable AND were causing a major vision problem at flare time...my husband suggested SINGLE vision prescription goggles...WOW what a difference...and I can still see my hand altimeter just fine!;)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Loved the escalator idea. People thought I was crazy at te mall (including my husband), but I had a good time riding the escalators.

Also, thanks for all the advice from the rest of you about the Deland class with Scott. I've decided to do something similar when I get back in the air. My hubby is going to video my landings and my own instructors are going to critique each of them before each new trip up. I figure I can squeeze in five jumps in a day. This saves the travel time and money, babysitter money, eating out while on the road money... Heck, I'll be able to jump all weekend on the money we save elsewhere. Hahahaha - are you reading this Honey? ;)

Been at the dropzone watching others land. They make it look so easy. I can do this. :)