Tuna-Salad

Weird skydive dreams?

So a few weeks ago I had this.. nightmare I guess you could call it... I was skydiving frefall everything went fine.. I deployed and my pilot chute came through my harness just under the cut-away handle... in this dream i tried to clear it knowing if i deployed my reserve it would just tangle and make a bad sitation worse.. I hit the ground before i could clear the mal and woke up in a cold sweat..

Is this weird? Anyone else have experience like this?
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

You'll have dreams like that, it happens since skydiving consumes so much of your mind. It will get better the more experience you get, though, at least it did for me.

I had a dream where I burned in 3 times in a day and decided that I should just stop and turn my beer light on.:D

I've hooked in a few times in my dreams. I've been in more plane crashes in my dreams. I've had similar dreams about my professional life (life and death situations where equipment failed, etc).

Its your brain pulling stress and trying to get rid of it.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've only ever had one dream about skydiving. I was doing a static line jump from our Cessna. (I'd never done a static line jump at that point). I was standing outside the plane waiting to get on last and the damned thing took off. I was already hooked up so it towed me down the runway.

At about 200 feet I panic and cut away. The next thing I know the DZO and one of the instructors are standing next to me taking off my gear and running away :-)

I realized I was dead so I decided to take a walk around. There was a huge party / bonfire going on right down the road. I settled in, grabbed a beer and felt content. Then I woke up.
Owned by Remi #?

I've had lots of different ones over the years but there's always one constant in almost every one.

When I throw my pilot chute it just stays there in mid-air beside me. And when I do finally get under canopy my suspension lines are like 500 feet long . . .

NickD :)

how high would you flare with 500 foot lines? B|

I had a similar one when I was still a student, except I was more worried about steering. I pitched, and stayed belly to earth, even though my canopy did come out fine ... the lines just got really, really long (because I stayed belly-to-earth, you see ... it all makes sense in dreamland). Eventually I thought "oh, I should probably sit up in the harness" so I did and checked the canopy. "Square. Yep. Stable. Yep. Steerable? Hmmm.... maybe not.":D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a large amount of low pull dreams (I'm talking 100ft).

I absolutely slam into the ground with a snivelly canopy, I'm always unhurt... and the CI/DZO usually comes up to me angry and gives me an earfull.

Then I walk back to the hangar and everyone stands around going "you should try to pull higher next time".

When I first started I would have some crazy dreams doing BASE and freeflying at the same time, they were quite interesting.

I've had a few crazy skydiving dreams. In one, I end up with a low pull, due to some crazy near mid air collision. My pilot chute comes out and just tows behind me. I end up riding it into the ground.

Another dream, I pitch, and somehow I get another PCIT. Knowing the bridle is probably not long enough to present a hazard, I dump my reserve. I'm very low, and my reserve snivels til about 200ft off the ground. Then my main starts inflating, and threatens to entangle in my reserve. I fight the main, and stick it between my legs.

Although, even how I've had quite a few freakish skydiving dreams, I've also had some very amazing skydiving/BASE jumping dreams. Some were jumps off incredibly high structures, mountains, etc. Woke up pretty amazed.

Although recently I realized that in my dreams, I've jumped off all 4 types of obstacles. All right! Dream BASE #1 :D

Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Being a newbie, I've only had one skydiving dream.

I've taken the plane ride up, when word comes that winds are too high, and I can't jump (this has happened to me twice). So I ride the plane down.

Except, for some reason, I wind up sitting on the tail of the plane (outside), hanging on.

As we descend, it occurs to me that I don't remember if someone turned my AAD off. But I'm afraid to turn around and look, because I'm afraid I'll accidentally let go, and fall off the plane.

So I sit there and prepare myself for a reserve fire to pull me off the plane, and go over what I should do if that happens.

And then I wake up.

Not very exciting, I know, but there ya go.

I have the same dream once every few months.
I throw out my PC and it just hangs in slow motion next to me. I reach back and start pulling out bridle and finally the pin. The canopy comes out really f'n slow and I hit the ground, standing up the landing. Sorry Nick, the lines aren't 500ft! The freefall seems about 30MPH during the entire dream...weird!
:S

I've had a ton of skydiving dreams, all of them involve some kind of malfunction, but I always get a clean reserve out. Just the other night I dreamed that one of my risers broke on opening so the main was streaming above me by one riser. Went for the cutaway handle but it wouldn't budge, kept yanking on it until it finally released and I was instantly under a yellow reserve. Which is also strange because in ALL of my dreams I have a yellow reserve, but in my rig my reserve is white.

Wow, somebody else had the same dream as me! In most of my skydiving dreams, my canopy seems to be at least 100 feet above me. It snivels until i'm about 3 feet off the ground, then I hover there and wait for it to open, then it opens and I stand up the landing. Strange...

I've also had one where I was at Palatka and had a bag lock that I fought all the way until I burned in. I stood up, dusted myself off, and pulled both my handles so nobody would think I was a loser for going in without pulling my cutaway or reserve. Then Art comes over and yells at me for going in, and Jeff gives me a long lecture about safety.
I think Scott Miller talked about having a similar dream once...
The best things in life are dangerous.

I had a dream last week that I was doing a 3way rw jump and we were falling so slow that we could talk to each other. At 800 ft, I said "Ok im breaking off, peace out!" and broke off and deployed. canopy didnt fully inflate by the time the ground came yet I landed softly without injury. :D

Every skydiving dream I have ends the same. Low pull at about 100 or 200 feet, canopy snivles and finally opens about 2 or 3 feet off the ground and I land perfectly fine. Sometimes the canopy never even really opens and I still land perfectly fine. I think it's pretty interesting that this dreams sounds VERY similar to ones other people are having.

I seem to have more of these dreams during the winter non-jumping months. During the summer when I'm actually jumping I hardly ever have these dreams.

ha! my pilot chute is usually falling faster than me, and i have to pull my canopy out by reeling the lines out hand over hand. the ones i've had when i've gone in, i almost always stand up, brush off the dirt, and say, "god... i can't believe i didn't die."
i've also dreamed that i'm base jumping off clouds...

i've only had 2. they were both similar though.

the first one was when I first started packing my own chute. i dont remember what i throw out at but i know it was about normal and my canopy snivels for a long fucking time, till about 50 ft from the ground and even though its fully open by that time i end up going in.

the second one was similar. i throw out at about my normal altitude and the canopy comes out but it stays in a ball. it doesn't inflate, not even slowly. so i grab the risers and pull down and it starts to inflate a little bit at a time each time i tug down on the risers. it ends before i find out if i burn in or not.

for the longest time I've had dreams of various types of me in bad situations and they haven't really bothere me because I seam to always make it out of the situatuion some how.

The one that did get to me was when it involved others. I dreamed I was on the ground watching a 20 way and they went low, watched the formation turn and start to break a few cypreses went off and then a few people went in while still in a track that one freaked me right out.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

My only skydiving dream has recurred a few times over the years.

I jump solo and none of my handles will extract. As I get to around 100 feet I realize that I can fly as if I had a good canopy so I swoop and tiptoe land and wonder why I don't do this all the time.

In my dream it feels perfectly normal that I can fly without an actual parachute overhead.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The other night, I had a dream I was a TM in Mario Land.

I have skydiving dreams all the time. They usually involve me not being able to pull my handles and dying in a very real and painful way.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity