npgraphicdesign

Are you always nervous when you jump?

This is a question more for experienced skydivers, more-so then someone who's just getting into the sport I've gotten the relax hand signal a few times in all my jumps. I think I am the type of person that will always be a bit nervous when doing an extreme activity. I mean, I felt the same way first time I was with a girl, so...:P

But all jokes aside, will the nervousness always be there? Regardless of how experienced you are? And from what I gather, being nervous is good...right? When you relax and think everything is perfect, there is more potential for error..or so it seems.

Nope, I'm always nervous flying in the airplane.:P Acutally I'm serious. Once I get out I'm in control and I don't have to worry about the driver and antique plane I'm in.

It takes awhile for most people to get over being a little nervous. And I get nervous in new situations, new demo, intentional cutaway rig, etc.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

My heart rate goes down before exit. It goes way up just as i throw the pilot chute. It decreases during canopy flight. And it goes way up again during the level-out phase of the swoop.

Worry about one thing at a time in the proper order.
Or don't worry at all. Visualize, practice, and learn all you can to gain confidence, experience, and sweet memories.

Eventually, all this will become boring and you will start base jumping.:o:D

My heart rate goes down before exit. It goes way up just as i throw the pilot chute. It decreases during canopy flight. And it goes way up again during the level-out phase of the swoop.

Worry about one thing at a time in the proper order.
Or don't worry at all. Visualize, practice, and learn all you can to gain confidence, experience, and sweet memories.

Eventually, all this will become boring and you will start base jumping.:o:D

can I at least have my A license first, or should I just let you push me off of this: :P
http://www.burjdubai.com/

I'm still nervous every jump on the ride to altitude. As soon as the door opens though, I have to set that nervousness aside and concentrate on other things (especially now that I'm an instructor). That's all the 'relax' signal means..... let the nervousness go during the freefall part. Adrenaline makes you stupid, makes you tense up, and that affects your flying.

You'll learn how to do it. Probably took me 300+ jumps to be able to do it well, but most people learn quicker than I did on that :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've always been nervous but never to the point where it would affect my dive or my safety.

I'm now to the point where I'm not that nervous but there is still enough nervousness to keep me safe.

You always want to have some nerves there- it keeps you alert and non-complacent. It's normal to be nervous.

How does that saying go? "The trick getting the butterflies to fly in formation." That is, get the nervous to work FOR you, rather than AGAINST you.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

If there were no nerves then it wouldn't be much fun any more. My friend skydiving to golf, suggesting that golf was not as exciting, i.e., nerve racking as skydiving. Yet, I get nervous when I approach the first tee, or stand over a 15 footer for birdie (like that happens very often). It is the nervous feeling that makes sports fun. The problem comes when we cross the line from nerves to fears. Fears can cause us to make mistakes and can hurt us.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I nervous on take off and alert till 2000, the relax rehearse and chill the I get a bit more when the plane is about to enter jump run doing gear check a deep breath and once in the door and all is well till pull time. Get bit more nervous until I’m under good canopy clear of traffic and got sight of the DZ and other near me. SO there are a few points where the heart rate goes up for me.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

You will always be nervous about something. It's good though since you have a heightened sense of awareness. My heart is pounding when the door opens and I know I'm going to jump in a few minutes. Sort of an adrenaline charged scared shitless feeling. B|

Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

I am glad to see most everyone is nervous on on ride up, I always have this crazy serious look on my face. When the red light comes on I'm good though. Don't really get nervous around pull time, I like watch the canopy open up and swing me about like a rag lol.

I am glad to see most everyone is nervous on on ride up, I always have this crazy serious look on my face. When the red light comes on I'm good though. Don't really get nervous around pull time, I like watch the canopy open up and swing me about like a rag lol.

You're lucky. We don't even have a red light in our planes. There's the 'are you ready to go skydiving?' and then the door opens and you get that 'what the f*** am I doing?' feeling :P

Are your jump numbers correct?

I was nervous as hell till roughly jump 10, by jump 20 all my nerves have gone... and they have never returned (I can wait a few weeks now and still feel comfortable going for a jump).

Relax bro, just let it all go, stop fighting the wind and start feeling it.

Skydiving is 110% easier when you're relaxed, just get stable then stop resisting, just go loose as a goose and you're good to go.

You're lucky. We don't even have a red light in our planes. There's the 'are you ready to go skydiving?' and then the door opens and you get that 'what the f*** am I doing?' feeling

You will be itching to get out that door soon.

It's a little euphoric spark now everytime someone yells "DOOR!" and open it up... I always have a big grin on my face, can't wait to get out.

You're lucky. We don't even have a red light in our planes. There's the 'are you ready to go skydiving?' and then the door opens and you get that 'what the f*** am I doing?' feeling

You will be itching to get out that door soon.

It's a little euphoric spark now everytime someone yells "DOOR!" and open it up... I always have a big grin on my face, can't wait to get out.

Oh I'm itching already believe me. I know it's not a huge deal, but finally passing my B jump (sunday, 3rd try, first two were back in May/June) just gave me such an incredible rush yesterday and today. I'm still thinking about it and can't stop smiling about doing relatively well. Can't wait to go back next weekend for my C/D, and maybe more than that! Weather and money permitting...;)

will the nervousness always be there? Regardless of how experienced you are? And from what I gather, being nervous is good...right? When you relax and think everything is perfect, there is more potential for error..or so it seems.

Everyone is nervous until they're out of the plane. Then it's just pure bliss.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

You want to throw in a totally different element of fear? Do a H&P from 13k. Being in a harness that high above the ground by yourself can be very unsettling at first.

Until you realize that there isn't any practical difference at all between 13000 feet and 130 feet.
Owned by Remi #?