npgraphicdesign

Packer common courtesies...

Poor Shrop . . . I believe the term is FRUGAL.

I agree that packers should not necessarily get tipped. That doesn't mean you shouldn't, but to answer the O.P.'s question, there is no finite answer. Do what you want, pay what you want at your DZ and observe the normal practices of places you visit. Packers are an interesting animal, they sit there all day doing the one task that everyone else on the dropzone completely loathes !! And they do it with endless determination. Don't feel sorry for a packer though, they make good coin. No one is forcing anyone to pack, its a volunteer program that pays very well. When I was a packer, I don't recall tips ever being brought up. We just packed and took our money. Not a lot of experienced people paying for packjobs at that DZ though. I welcome a tip from a student when I am doing a job that the DZ is paying me for, but when you are paying me to pack your own rig cash money, I dictate the price that I want, you agree and we're both happy. (my price includes tip ;))

You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

1. If you ask them consistently to pack your rig, is it common courtesy to tip them every time, once every week, once a month, etc?
2. If they are busy, what's the 'proper' way to ask them to pack your rig? Just go up and ask, or does each DZ keep a list and you just add your name to it? (in case you're too lazy to pack)
3. Is it customary to tip them regardless of whether they pack your rig once a week or at least several times a week?
4. Do you 'tip' with beer, money, or......

There's an agreed price and procedure at most DZs. That's all, that's it. Beyond that, it's up to the individual.

However, anyone slacking on an agreed service just because of arbitrary tipping, a service that defines opening of parachutes, is scum and people shouldn't use them. If they want more money, they should be up front about it and set their price accordingly.

You people obsessing over tipping - it's voluntary - do it, don't do it, whatever. Stop asking about it. Grow a pair and make your own choice. If you want to, great, if you don't, that's great too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I tend to use the same packer no matter where I am. If I am at a Boogie or camp I find a packer that is willing to pack for me for the duration.

It is funny sometimes because some packers will throw their nose up at my HUGE 190's and formely a 210 and not want to pack it, then after they find out how much I paid the person who did pack for me they suddenly can squeeze me in if I need them. I smile and say no thanks i'm taken care of :)

As for tipping I pay what I pay I don't consider it "tipping".

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Poor Shrop . . . I believe the term is FRUGAL.

I'm with Shrop.

This tipping thing is just another way that shows how Americans have a way of thinking that is foreign to the rest of the world and we can be really, really arrogant about it, too.

We even go so far as to automatically add tips to the bills for services. This sucks...I should pay a generous tip for lousy service? Bullshit.

All you americans....PBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTT!

Wanna screw with a packer?
Get the biggest, newest ZP you can find. Attach a D-bag for a 120. Stand back and watch the fun. You'll improve your vocabulary with the new words you'll learn.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

2. If they are busy, what's the 'proper' way to ask them to pack your rig? Just go up and ask, or does each DZ keep a list and you just add your name to it? (in case you're too lazy to pack)

All I know is how NOT to ask. Dropping your canopy on the packer's face while she is taking a nap is the wrong way to ask for a packjob.

Dave

:D:D:D

I always pack myself, and stay out of the 'paid packers' way as far as not even going into the packing room.

Instead I just use the carpeted hangar floor, it gives the tandems something to watch while waiting...

Couple weeks ago, I was on the floor showing a n00b how to pack his rig when a visiting low time jumper dropped his gear pretty much right on top of me grumbling something about his being on a 20 minute call so 'do his next'.

Might still be waiting for all I know....:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

That said, why do brits have such a problem understanding that an extra financial incentive can sometimes produce better results?

:| Fair enough you get your rig 'serviced' faster if you tip....but better results?? That's quite a shocking comment tbh.

....anyway

Afaik a packjob is quite a bit more expensive in the UK compared to the states. I guess it's the same for other services, if you work as a waitress in the UK you'll get more than if you do the same job in the states, so you you are not expected to have to rely on tips (as much).

Couple weeks ago, I was on the floor showing a n00b how to pack his rig when a visiting low time jumper dropped his gear pretty much right on top of me grumbling something about his being on a 20 minute call so 'do his next'.

Might still be waiting for all I know....:ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have spent sooooo much on skydiving, that tipping my packers is a drop in the bucket.....but so appreciated by them. They pack at 100 degree days to allow me to sit and have a cold drink while planning and dirt diving our next jump.....and they haven't failed me yet!

Nylon City, you all rock!

MP

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I'm a packer and people frequently ask me to pack theirs when I can. I usually have enough time to pack 2 tandems and have 3-4 minutes before they land and bring me 2 more. If I want to do 2 tandems and a sport rig I have to bust my ass.

I remember someone got me an iced cappuccino instead of a tip. That was far more valuable to me than a few extra bucks in my pocket. Do tippers get preferential treatment? Not really but it does make me feel appreciated.

-Michael

It is good to see that the business of packing is still ruled by pure market forces.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

When I was a packer, I never expected a tip, although it was always appreciated. Most who did tip would give an extra buck a packjob.

Honestly, a good packer at a moderately busy DZ can easily earn $30+ an hour without tips... they're not waitresses.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

So let's say at your DZ there are a few packers that are always their packing, be that student rigs, fun jumper rigs, tandem, etc.

1. If you ask them consistently to pack your rig, is it common courtesy to tip them every time, once every week, once a month, etc?

I now pack for myself most of the time (used a packer when starting out for about the first 60 jumps) but when I'm having one of those days where i don't wanna pack I do tip. And have always tipped them at the end of the day on any day I used them.

I always just say 'Hey (insert packers name here), do you have any slots available today?' Sometimes they say yes sometimes they say no. If one says no just try another.

3. Is it customary to tip them regardless of whether they pack your rig once a week or at least several times a week?
4. Do you 'tip' with beer, money, or......

$30+ an hour without tips

That would be an hour on a day when the DZ has good jumping weather with enough skydivers to keep them busy.

What about all the other days of the week when few people are around to jump, or the weekend with rain and/or high winds?

Those $30+ hours spread out over a week with bad weather doesn't seem like so much.

Tip your packers, they save your life every jump!

mp

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

$30+ an hour without tips

That would be an hour on a day when the DZ has good jumping weather with enough skydivers to keep them busy.

What about all the other days of the week when few people are around to jump, or the weekend with rain and/or high winds?

Those $30+ hours spread out over a week with bad weather doesn't seem like so much.

mp

yep... those days suck. if packing is your only job, that's your choice. At a big, busy DZ you can make a decent living that way... hell, right now I'd love to be making $30k a year. If you're a packer at a small, seasonal, or weekend-only DZ and you don't have another job... well, that's your choice too. It's not up to us to finance you for it.

I'm not saying not to tip... I was a packer, and I loved my customers who tipped... I'm just saying it shouldn't be expected. $6 is plenty of money for about 8 minutes worth of work. If you wish to give more, by all means do so.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

they don't, they just shove a bunch of nylon in a bag and close it.

nothing against packers, they are useful, people might need them. But it seems to me some people rely too much on them, and become themselves uncapable of packing their own parachute.

for the O.P. learn to pack for yourself, pack A LOT, you will save A LOT of money and learn how your gear works and see by yourself how your gear is getting used and abused. After that, you can use your packer for your lazy days or when you need to do stuff between your jumps. And tip him/her whatever you feel like.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM