TerminatorSRT4

Bad habits to avoid early?

Ok, so this is my first thread on here and I figured I'd ask everyone what are some bad habits to avoid when jumping? I know everyone has developed some over the years and would like to know what to look out for so that I don't develop any early on. And I'm talking from the time you pack to when you bring your gear back in to pack after landing.

One bad habit to avoid is NOT untwisting your brake lines regularly when packing. This bad habit can cause a big tension knot that may force a reserve ride.

Also

Ok, so this is my first thread on here

:D:D:D:)
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I am a low timer… these are just my personal bad habits.

BEFORE BOARDING

Gearing up in a hurry:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3226891#3226891

Not checking the LZ carefully:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3041657#3041657

Being careless about windy days.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3178836#3178836

ON THE PLANE

Over-thinking the dive. I can get really tightly wound on the plane. Now I only visualize the jump once or twice…Never more than three times. (no link for this)

IN FREEFALL

Being a lazy/sloppy tracker
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3187924#3187924

UNDER CANOPY

Not looking at my toggles before releasing my brakes.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2740816#2740816

I am sure I should admit to more... but that is all for now.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

some bad habits to avoid

Asking people on the internet questions!!!!:P

well on the other forums I talk on I usually flame the newbies, so I'm expected lots of sarcastic remarks, but I'm hoping for SOME actual answers as well :D

Good habit is to stow your toggles when you land. That helps prevent tension knots
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

some bad habits to avoid

Asking people on the internet questions!!!!:P

well on the other forums I talk on I usually flame the newbies, so I'm expected lots of sarcastic remarks, but I'm hoping for SOME actual answers as well :D

It was not really a bust ball statement. Well maybe a little. The best thing you can do is talk to the instructors that know you personally. Their the ones that can help you best
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

From personal experiences:

1. Don't let yourself get lazy at anything while in freefall, but don't be too stiff as well. Just make sure you actually focus on what you're doing, and not just do it.

2. Don't get into freeflying too early. Make sure you develop a good base of belly skills first.

3. Don't get into high-performance landings too soon, even double-fronts, until you have some canopy coaching, and a mentor to help you out.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Ok, so this is my first thread on here and I figured I'd ask everyone what are some bad habits to avoid when jumping? I know everyone has developed some over the years and would like to know what to look out for so that I don't develop any early on. And I'm talking from the time you pack to when you bring your gear back in to pack after landing.

Unstowing your toggles without looking at them (risk getting excess brake line knotted around something).

Messing with your slider, cheststrap and/or booties instead of looking around for other canopy traffic.

Being a lazy tracker.

Thinking you're safe because you have right of way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bear in mind that I only have 40 jumps, but here are some things I've learned NOT to do:

1 - Eating eggs or baked beans before a day of jumping. Self-explanatory, yes?

2 - Exiting the aircraft with the load sheet still under your ring cover/mudflap.

3 - Being the only person who never shows up with courtesy beer, even if you don't owe it.

4 - Showing up at 3pm and expecting to jump right away while you're a student.

5 - Giving advise you're not qualified to give, particularly to students.

6 - BIG ONE: Not owning up to your mistakes. This one will get you a BAAAD rep.

7 - Making fun of someone else's landing, or trying to hand out nicknames, when you only have 5 jumps.

(That last one is directed mostly at one smartass student at my home DZ. I can't WAIT until he has to make the proverbial parahike!)

Mind you, I haven't made all these mistakes (Just 1, 2, and 4!), but I've been around the DZ for 2 years, and careful observation will teach you a lot.

Have fun & be safe! :)

T.I.N.S.

For me personally being a newbie.. getting lazy with your landing pattern after you come off student status. After I got my A I started shortening up my pattern and just kinda started getting a bit lazy I guess with my landings and it took a couple of times of me coming in hard a couple of times (the first non standup landing for me wasn't until jump 40) before I checked myself. I guess just don't get complacent and divert from your student prejump and jump routines the minute you get your A.

Where to start? Good habit to have:

- being proactive about closing loop length

- two words: GEAR CHECK

- asking BEFORE you make a mistake

- practicing braked turns

- being ok with grounding yourself even when others are jumping (ie high winds)

Most important:
A bad habit to avoid-> sleeping with your rigger's wife!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I reakon getting caught up in the whole downsizing thing to early. Get a big ass canopy and fly it for many jumps. Dont worry about the size of other jumpers canopies. One day when u have to land off in a small area or the shit hits the fan you will be thankful that u have a nice and big docile canopy over your head. I have heard bones break and its not nice.