Tuna-Salad

Night Jump

I may be doing my first night jump this weekend (Fingers Crossed)

Are these jumps really as scary as what I've heard? Is the door monster likely to return in full force? Will it be a lot like jumping for the first time? If 1 train leaves from boston bound for sydney and another leaves from sydney australia bound for boston, they are both traveling 137.4 mph where will they meet?
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Are these jumps really as scary as what I've heard? Is the door monster likely to return in full force? Will it be a lot like jumping for the first time? If 1 train leaves from boston bound for sydney and another leaves from sydney australia bound for boston, they are both traveling 137.4 mph where will they meet?

I can't tell you about the night jumps, but as for the trains from Boston & Sydney... :P

Actually, having only made two night jumps myself, I must say - they were undoubtedly some of the most scary AND the most fun jumps I've made. (That was my 98th & 99th jump, BTW). ;) I'm sure other more experienced night jumpers will weigh in, but here's my take:

Not sure how they do it at your DZ - at Elsinore, all the first-timers exit first on their own pass as solos. An experienced jumper jumpmasters the load for them, and arranges exit order by wing loading and opening altitude (meaning you're assigned an opening altitude according to your WL, and have to open at that level). It feels a lot safer, knowing that there are only 4 or so more staggered canopies in the air during your first nighttime canopy flight.

On that first jump, the exit & freefall were great - I just stepped out and watched the plane for a bit. Too cool watching it fly away at night. The place where things got scary was under canopy. In spite of the strobes & glow-sticks, on my first jump I couldn't discern other canopy pilots against the bright lights of the town below (which admittedly probably means people probably opened at the right altitudes. But still, I prefer being able to see things I want to steer clear of).

On my second jump (which was a 4-way) I only saw one canopy. I *think*. Again, that was the freaky part, not knowing for sure - I didn't see a strobe, but it looked like a dark silhouette moving against the city lights (glow sticks are tough to see from a distance). Problem being, you can't focus on it for long enough to be sure, because you've got to keep your head on a swivel.

Regardless, like I said, they were a lot of fun. There's nothing like seeing your buddies in freefall in the dark (& in my case, them watching little glow sticks coming loose from where they were taped on me and zinging up into the air). Just be sure you have a bright-enough strobe. I've seen some people use little bicycle strobes, and they won't cut it - you want people to be able to *see* you.

It'll likely be kinda scary...but keep your head on a swivel, and you should come out fine, with a big grin on your face.
Signatures are the new black.

Practice up a bit before the actual night jump....just leap out and close yer eyes! ;)

...and no, if you piss yer pants on the way down it didn't qualify as a water jump. :)

The trains will meet in Guam...just not at the same time. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

not really scary, if there is a reasonable moon out(say more than half) the amount of light reflected from the ground is quite high and its surprisingly easy to see and land. One thing to remember to expect is your own shadow coming to meet you in the closing stages of landing. It can look odd and has been confused by some with another canopy on a collision course, resulting in unecessary low turns.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

bring your cell phone,,

make sure you do a jump during the day first to get the spot right..

dont collapse the slider, the noise will help others find u if u dont see them..

have a freakin blast,, they are great !!!
dont let life pass you by

Landing out is dark experience
I'd say: Don't land out (I'd rather basejump)

Practice up a bit before the actual night jump....just leap out and close yer eyes!

on this matter, did anyone jump with GPS only?
It should be scary fun to rely only on 1 device?
What goes around, comes later.

Thanks for the replies :)I am not too afraid of the freefall, just the inability to see other canopies. I planned to make another jump earlier in the day as suggested. On another question, where can I buy a strobe visible for 3 miles (Per the SIM).

I've also read in the sim I should have a flash light to be able to look at my canopy.. square steerable stable.. all that. - Would that not completely make my night vision useless?

Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

The trains will meet in the middle.

;)B|

.... which should be somewhere in the Pacific ocean,, southeast of Hawaii...:o:)
BUT if it's at Night!!! no one will see it...unless they have their strobes working.....

jmy

as for Night jumps..... the AIR is pretty much the same, as it is in the daylight...
borrow a glow in the dark, alti,,, if you don't have one,,, locate the runway, as soon as you can, after opening.. and be SURE,, you know exactly what degree radial the jump run will be flown on,,, and try to have an Illuminated windsock or streamer near the landing area....
plan the dive, dive the plan.

Night Jumps = Fun and satisfaction.

Jimmy
NSCR 1817.
Former member world record Night POPS RW. ( 16)... then all my 'teammates' built an 18 way while i was on "injured reserve list " ... but I'm on the list for the 20 way, or 24 way;);)B|

.... which should be somewhere in the Pacific ocean,

Really? When did we start building train tracks in the Pacific ocean? And do conductors and crew have to hold their breath the whole time they are under water?[:/]

I say the trains will never meet.;)

Oh and for that other thing - the night jumps. Never done one and have no real desire to either.

On another question, where can I buy a strobe visible for 3 miles (Per the SIM).

These say they're only visible for 1 mile, but are better than many I've seen. You can get them online, or at most military surplus stores.

I've also read in the sim I should have a flash light to be able to look at my canopy.. square steerable stable.. all that. - Would that not completely make my night vision useless?

For me, I carried a little maglite on a chain around my neck/tucked into my jumpsuit. Turns out, I didn't need it - never turned it on. It likely won't be *pitch black* up there, so you should be able to have a good enough view to be sure of 'there/square/steerable.'

But if it makes you feel better, keep on with you, just in case, & don't turn it on unless you have to.
Signatures are the new black.

Make sure your strobe is attached in a way so you won't get blinded by it flashing. The back of the helmet is a popular spot.

As for checking the canopy. Carry a mini-mag light, but make sure you color it in red, or just buy one with a red lens. Red light doesn't impair your night vision.

You'll spend a long time before the actual jump itself getting your eyes adjusted to the night. Don't stare at white light. Don't stare at other people's strobes. You can ruin your night vision which took 30min to get, just in a few seconds.

When driving at night, I don't use my overhead lights. If I need to check a map, I use a small red flashlight.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Another thing i dont think was mentioned (should be covered before jump) is DONT spiral down! slow smooth conservative turns. On one of my night jumps i had a person that exited after me land before me!!!! That is some scary shit! But they are alot of fun. Enjoy!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I have done only 4 night jumps.

My first was an exqusite blend of "Damn this is cool" and "Damn this is scary".

I have a friend who got really scared on our first night jump when she could not find the drop zone for a bit in freefall. Be damned sure you know what the DZ looks like at night before you leave the plane.

My last two night jumps were 8-ways for Night SCRs. Very cool and much easier than I had feared.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

On another question, where can I buy a strobe visible for 3 miles (Per the SIM).

These say they're only visible for 1 mile, but are better than many I've seen. You can get them online, or at most military surplus stores.

For me, I carried a little maglite on a chain around my neck/tucked into my jumpsuit. Turns out, I didn't need it - never turned it on. It likely won't be *pitch black* up there, so you should be able to have a good enough view to be sure of 'there/square/steerable.'

But if it makes you feel better, keep on with you, just in case, & don't turn it on unless you have to.

It's also a good idea to bring along a loud emergency whistle...

If you get disabled and are down, it's nearly impossible to find you laying in the grass off site, I even know guys that stick it in their blow hole after opening to ward off others in the air with attention deficit. :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Most any Army/Navy surplus store

I use a light "like" this.. http://www.lsdinc.com/content/product_details/8 also available at your local Army/Navy store for about $19.00-29.00... except I strap it tight around my thigh just above the knee so I can bend my leg at the knee during the opening sequence so it bounces the light off the canopy and I can keep my hands free... just in case.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Useful advice...

I landed out on my first night jump

I landed out on the first, second, and nearly the third, all for different reasons. 4th one I had it well in hand.

I found the fear of unseen canopies and the dark had me sitting further outside the LZ than good, and then there wasn't enough time to get back in. A big wind shift fubared the second, though I at least wasn't the one landing on the runway.

Take a tip from pilots, Use a red lensed flashlight,and remember that on landing at night things seem to be lower than they actually are the first couple of times. I almost killed myself on my first night landing in a plane because of the visual perception differance. Just be sure to get visual cues from all around not just from the ground in front of you.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

I have done one night jump, this Halloween. I cannot say if you will be scared, but I was very nervous. Going out of the door was not that bad, and getting oriented to the landing strip was no real trouble. I kept an eye on the landing zone the whole way up.

My personal landing was a crash. I passed the lit landing area at a little above 200 ft, off into the dark. The instructions were to head toward the runway as there are lights over there. I cannot say what I really did. I am told I just flew into the ground with no flare. I hit feet, knees and then face. I cracked my helmet and was taken by ambulance to the ER. I was awake, they tell me, and could tell them everything except my age. My memory returns while I was in the catscan machine. I had a concussion, sprained neck, and black eye.

And I am still grounded, though probably could go this weekend but I am out of town. I am in no rush, but I plan to have a second jump sometime next year. The freefall and canopy ride were wonderful. Kind of wish I remembered the landing.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672