skittles_of_SDC

When traveling do you carry on loose or in a suitcase?

Not that you might need a weight belt but if you do it has to be checked.
reply]

No it doesn't. I don't check mine and have never had a problem.

You've just been lucky there, is all. See Jim Alkek's recent thread on the matter, for confirmation/more details.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

reply]

You've just been lucky there, is all. See Jim Alkek's recent thread on the matter, for confirmation/more details.

Just as a lot of people have been lucking being able to bring their rig as carryon and not have to open the reserve. Just as a lot of people have been lucky to check their rig and have it arrive unscathed.

You are right in that it has been allowed to slip through on many occasions. However, my understanding is that this loop hole is going to close fast. Most weight belts made of lead shot cannot be xrayed all the way through. Therefore experienced screeners are not letting them through because they can't see through it. If you can't see through it then you don't know what is possibly in it. There is a post on this forum of someone who just had to go back and check their weightbelt in Orlando, I think, because it could not be xrayed.

So do what you want, I just don't see a need to take unnecessary chances, especially for items that can be replaced so easily.
Chris

Ya I mean I'm not an experienced skydiver by any means but I don't think I want my rig out of my hands where people can mess with it. I would rather cover the rig up but I've got a ton of parachute. Combined main and reserve its about 420 square feet so I don't know what the thing will fit in and it just seems easier to have it alone so you don't have to fuss with pulling it out every time a TSA dude gets curious.

I've put 489 square feet of parachute including two harnesses in an airline legal (22 x 14 x 9") container.

Most of the time the bagage screeners don't care at all. Sometimes they call over another screener for questions or to tell them that's what a parachute looks like. Sometimes they ask. Sometimes they want it open far enough to swab.

A rig in a bag is less hassle than dealing with a laptop (always have to take it out of the bag and send it through the scanner) or wearing your hiking boots instead of checking them (gotta unlace them).

reply]

Just as a lot of people have been lucking being able to bring their rig as carryon and not have to open the reserve. Just as a lot of people have been lucky to check their rig and have it arrive unscathed.

Neither of those examples either are incidences that have actual rules stating they "have to" happen either. The lead RULE now does. If it slips through, it is lucky. It's not lucky that things arrive unscathed. That should be expected.

There is a difference.

BTW, Alkek's thread on his recent experience is HERE.

He too, had been doing this previously, for years in fact, without issue. Until now. Anyone can decide to do, or continue to do anything they want to. Have at it. I was only trying to help out.

I understand what you are saying however I do not buy that weight belts are not allowed. I just flew from Portland to Houston two weeks ago without a problem. They asked what it was and I said a weight belt. They said no problem, swabbed it, and I was on my way.

I also looked again at the TSA site and prohibited items. Weight belts and/or lead items are not on the list.

Please send me link of where it states that weight belts are not allowed.

I don't have a link. My info, as stated before (in the other thread - sorry, that's not clear) came from merely a friend of mine, who is a TSA screener at BWI. He told me about this as coming down as some sort of communication to him, about 60 days ago or so.

Sorry, that's about as best a reference as I can give. Also sorry that I did not mean to sound argumentative. I realize and appreciate my friend could be wrong too. He's not a skydiver, but knows I am, which is why he mentioned it to me.

I've always said with the TSA (in deference to one of my friends, clearly as well) - "YMMV" :P

I think even he knows that as well. You are certainly right about that!

Blues,
-Grant

It's interesting to note that the TSA's information about carrying parachutes on aircraft says,

Pack the rig separately without any other items in the bag.

Which to me imples that a rig must be in a bag? And to an overly officious TSA agent, it may do as well (sorry to give them ideas). Also, that weight isn't specified as equipment that can be carried-on or checked-in in their information about transporting scuba equipment.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Another reason to use a bag is WTF are you going to do if your reserve handle gets pulled by accident? First you're causing a bomb scare, then you have to deal with carrying and storing your mess. Wonder if your reserve PC spring is going to get bent as you wind duct tape around your rig to hold it all together.

I can't understand why so many people choose to ignore USPA's advice, TSA's advice, and common sense. Yes, carrying a rig loose through an airport and onto an airliner does make you super cool. There's just no way around that. Maybe, just maybe, it's worth the possible hassles.

Dave

I can't understand why so many people choose to ignore USPA's advice, TSA's advice, and common sense.
Dave

Because they are all wrong and have no idea what they are talking about...:D Honestly I don't have a bag that would fit the rig right now and just don't want to buy one. Its not about being the cool guy or anything...I just don't want to buy another bag haha.

You don't need a $100 gearbag. I went to walmart and bought a cheap duffel bag. Finally won a real gear bag in a raffle a couple years ago. That's how I get most of my stuff... :)
What's your backup plan for when your reserve gets pulled as you walk through the airport or are boarding the plane? Buy a darn bag.

Dave

You don't need a $100 gearbag. I went to walmart and bought a cheap duffel bag. Finally won a real gear bag in a raffle a couple years ago. That's how I get most of my stuff... :)
What's your backup plan for when your reserve gets pulled as you walk through the airport or are boarding the plane? Buy a darn bag.

Dave

My backup plan will most likely be something close to carrying around a popped reserve and looking like an idiot... B| You think the airlines would let me carry on an aviator's kit bag? I can easily scrounge up one of those.

As far as I've seen, the only folks who carry a rig without a bag of some sort are the ones who are looking to have a lot of, "Why yes, I'm a skydiver, how did you know ?" conversations.

That is not at all why I carry mine on my back. In fact I have probably flown with it half a dozen times and not once have I talked to anybody about it.... I sat in the exit row by myself last time with it and nobody said anything....
The first time I traveled with it I put it in a suitcase and I was freaked out about it the whole time. It wont fit on a carry on sized suitcase and it got lost on the way back from that one trip (I ended up getting it later that day).....
I also have always kept my hook knife on and it has never been an issue....

just my opinion

I got my $100 gearbag used for $25 at a "Perris sidewalk sale", from a retiring skydiver. It was $50, but there was damage to the bag I pointed out, they offered $25, so I bought it. Got the damage repaired, and I've got a $100 quality repaired gearbag for cheap. :)

That is not at all why I carry mine on my back. In fact I have probably flown with it half a dozen times and not once have I talked to anybody about it.... I sat in the exit row by myself last time with it and nobody said anything....
The first time I traveled with it I put it in a suitcase and I was freaked out about it the whole time. It wont fit on a carry on sized suitcase and it got lost on the way back from that one trip (I ended up getting it later that day).....
I also have always kept my hook knife on and it has never been an issue....

just my opinion

The only time I have had my rig noticed was by a guy with a flight instruction school. I tuck the leg straps up behind me and no one is the wiser. They are too busy being herded around like cattle...

Moooooooooooooooooo!

That being said I am looking for a good bag to keep it in that will work well as a carry-on.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

why ? are you twelve ? Insure it, securely pack it and act like a professional,,christ allready,,i'm sick of everybody

NO, IN FACT I'M 13 AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME PACK IT! :P:P IF I WANNA CARRY IT ON IM GONNA, YOU CAN'T STOP ME NANERRNANERNAAANER

I didn’t add the bullet point “have full insurance coverage for all your equipment”.
Remember, gear can also go missing from autos, DZs, hotel rooms, storage locations etc. An airline isn’t the only way you can lose your rig/equipment.

it seems there’s an assumption that everyone in the US uses the same home insurer with the same coverage?

Very good points. I have a possesion or two for which I purchase an insurance rider. This pays full replacement costs with no deductible. It would probably be available for parachute equipment.

Same coverage? No, but most people's policies tend to be very similar in this country. I'm not an insurance expert, though.

Autos, DZ's, hotel rooms, and storage areas are all places to leave a rig, not to spirit it away and transport it hundreds to thousands of miles. Yes, gear thefts happen. We really try to limit our gear's exposure to theft, but it does happen. However, theft and lost luggage are two separate issues. ;)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, is there any kind of issue with your Insurance Agent, and skydiving? As in, You SKyDIve? Lets double your life insurance premiums! :)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

[I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, is there any kind of issue with your Insurance Agent, and skydiving?

The last time I bought life insurance I filled out the forms and had to declare skydiving, but they didn't increase the rate from the norm. This new private insurance was cheaper than the group life insurance at my work. :)