skittles_of_SDC

When traveling do you carry on loose or in a suitcase?

I know this issue has been beaten to death in other threads but I wanted to turn this into a poll so that the info would be more apparent.

I should be making my first skydiving trip here pretty soon and was just wondering how others handle carrying their rig on. Right now I'm leaning toward putting it in a suitcase. Are there any advantages to doing it one way or the other?

I use a roll-aboard suitcase. My reasons:

1) I have no interest in getting into a chat about skydiving with every whuffo out there or having to listen to DB Cooper jokes.

2) I don't want to worry about my rig being shoved under a seat (and having someone spill a drink on it, or kick it, or whatever), or being shoved up in an overhead bin (and having someone grab that pretty silver handle to try to move it so they can get their oversized duffel bag up there).

3) It's a lot easier to carry around the airport on wheels rather than on my back, plus I generally carry on another backpack for my laptop / personal items, so I only have to try to manage one thing on my back rather than two.

For everyone who claims you can't get a big rig in a legal size suitcase I call bullshit - you just need to look. I have a rig with a 210 and a 218 reserve and it fits (snugly) in the largest legal carry-on size (I was lucky in that it was a bag I already owned so I didn't have to go shopping). I could also put it in a small duffel and be compliant.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I put mine in my gear bag. Serves as a carry-on, plus it keeps my other gear with me. If they lose my luggage I can buy more clothes, I dont like taking that risk by checking my rig. That and the fact that if TSA wants to look over my rig I am standing there. If I check it in, they look at it without me being there and these genius' just might pull on something they shouldnt...
Two words that get you in trouble, ALWAYS and NEVER

Since it is a carry on and I put it in the overhead I havent had a problem. I do use pull up cords to tie my leg straps up and across the front of the rig. It keeps it together and I like to think it keeps my handles a little more secure.
Once the flight attendant closes everything I get up and make sure it hasnt been jammed with some one elses luggage.
Two words that get you in trouble, ALWAYS and NEVER

Always put the rig in something. A duffel bag or gear bag works fine. A roller bag or hard case is better for carrying the rig around the airport and protects it, but it's more likely to get checked at the gate when they run out of overhead bin space. Don't have anything else in the bag other than paperwork that might help... the TSA letter, cypres card, airline policy, etc. Make sure you don't have a hook knife on the rig. You want it to look as much like what they've seen in their training as possible. Stuff like altimeters in with the rig might throw them off and they'll want a closer look.

And when you go through security, just put the rig bag on the conveyor belt like everything else and don't go warning them about what they might see. 9 times out of 10 they don't say a word. Flying to Nationals in October, the TSA guy just said "where's my skydiver?" when he saw a rig come through. Other times I've had them call other screeners over to take a look before... for training. It was the first parachute they had seen other than in their manuals.

Dave

As far as I've seen, the only folks who carry a rig without a bag of some sort are the ones who are looking to have a lot of, "Why yes, I'm a skydiver, how did you know ?" conversations.

Even when I am not traveling on airlines, I keep my rig in a carry on sized roller bag. Makes it easy to store in my house/dry and away from light. The roller bag makes it ease to get it from 1 place to another with out slinging it over my back. I too carry it on board for the same reasons that the previous poster does/I want to watch it for the WHOLE trip. I dont need some futard pulling my reserve handle or messin' with something that they shouldnt. Good luck.. safe travels... oh.. and BLUE SKIES
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I haven't travelled with my rig yet, but I will be flying to AZ for the Canadian Invasion. I've talked to several people about this and have decided putting in a carry-on gear bag would be best. Here's some more info from the USPA website:
http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Membership/Travel/WithintheUS/tabid/311/Default.aspx

Also, a friend gave me an AAD x-ray card that may help. I plan on tucking that in there somewhere.
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

I haven't travelled with my rig yet, but I will be flying to AZ for the Canadian Invasion. I've talked to several people about this and have decided putting in a carry-on gear bag would be best. Here's some more info from the USPA website:
http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Membership/Travel/WithintheUS/tabid/311/Default.aspx

Also, a friend gave me an AAD x-ray card that may help. I plan on tucking that in there somewhere.

Yea you can keep that in you pocket. Most of them know what they are looking at. If they ask to open the reserve, You need to ask for a supervisor and don't let them. They are allowed to do that test for chemicals. If that comes back negative you are on your way. Try to stay away from any chemicals before handling your rig right before the trip. Good luck and be safe.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I use a big gear bag... nowhere close to carry-on size if it was full. But all I have in it is the rig. Everything else goes in another carry-on or gets checked. When I arrive, I can put everything in the gear bag if I want. They don't give any trouble at the airport when you show em that the bag is all squishy and almost empty.

Dave

I know this issue has been beaten to death in other threads but I wanted to turn this into a poll so that the info would be more apparent.

I should be making my first skydiving trip here pretty soon and was just wondering how others handle carrying their rig on. Right now I'm leaning toward putting it in a suitcase. Are there any advantages to doing it one way or the other?

Victorinox backpack rollaboard. The reserve handle can't get pulled, nothing can get spilled on it, the harness can't get caught on anything if they have to gate check it, paranoid crew members won't refuse to let it be on board, it's easier to drag around the airport, etc.

I am one of those people that absolutely refuse to check anything if there is any possible way around it. Too many experiences with Lost and/or delayed Luggage and Items stolen out of luggage once it is checked.

So depending on where I am going and How long I will be there determines on How I will take the rig.

Most airlines allow 1 Carry-on and One personal Item. If it is just a weekend Boogie, My Clothes, Jumpsuits and Helmet go in the Carry-on luggage so that means the Rig is Loose and my "Personal Item". I have done this on about 12 different trips and had minimal problems (Once in Orlando, TSA wanted to open the reserve. A call to the supervisor fixed that. Other than that, No Issues at all)

If I am going for longer where I am going to have to check a bag anyway, I will put the rig in a Carry-on to make life easier and check the suitcase with the Clothes and other gear. I have done this on 4 different trips.. again with no issues. The problem with this is that you have to lug TWO suitcases around. To me it is much easier to wear the rig over your shoulders and only deal with one suitcase.

I am one of those people that absolutely refuse to check anything if there is any possible way around it. Too many experiences with Lost and/or delayed Luggage and Items stolen out of luggage once it is checked.

So depending on where I am going and How long I will be there determines on How I will take the rig.

Most airlines allow 1 Carry-on and One personal Item. If it is just a weekend Boogie, My Clothes, Jumpsuits and Helmet go in the Carry-on luggage so that means the Rig is Loose and my "Personal Item". I have done this on about 12 different trips and had minimal problems (Once in Orlando, TSA wanted to open the reserve. A call to the supervisor fixed that. Other than that, No Issues at all)

If I am going for longer where I am going to have to check a bag anyway, I will put the rig in a Carry-on to make life easier and check the suitcase with the Clothes and other gear. I have done this on 4 different trips.. again with no issues. The problem with this is that you have to lug TWO suitcases around. To me it is much easier to wear the rig over your shoulders and only deal with one suitcase.

Thats great to hear seeing is how Orlando is where I'm headed. [:/]

I am going to be doing this soon and I don't think that my rig, altimeter, suit, and helmet will all fit into a gear bag thats carry on sized. I really don't want to check it but I don't see any other way to do it.

Wear the rig and check the rest!!!
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

It was an isolated and uneventful problem.
The TSA Agent didn’t even know it was Parachute, They just asked me how to open the Backpack. I explained it was a parachute and they first said they had to open it anyway. I asked for a supervisor who immediate came over and said "Swab it" and let it go. Lost all of 3 minutes. Not a big deal at all.
Been through Orlando a couple other times with a rig without a problem.

I am going to be doing this soon and I don't think that my rig, altimeter, suit, and helmet will all fit into a gear bag thats carry on sized. I really don't want to check it but I don't see any other way to do it.

Wear the rig and check the rest!!!

Sounds good to me. I almost want to just carry the rig on my back like I'm going to jump just to see the weird looks I get haha.

I carried mine on when i went to vegas a few weeks ago. Had it buckled in next to me on the trip there and back! I love underbooked flights :)

They even teased me and put my next to an emergency exit... granted the engine was right outside the door :S

>I almost want to just carry the rig on my back like I'm going to jump just
>to see the weird looks I get haha.

I remember a friend of mine who got a new rig and would actually carry it to work, hoping someone would say "hey, what's that?" That would allow him to launch into his half hour monologue of how great skydiving was and what a great skydiver he was.

He grew out of it, fortunately.