Feeblemind

Is our sport dying? What would make you goto the DZ more often??

Hey All,

We all know the price of fuel and the economy smacked our sport pretty hard. I have noticed a steady decline in up-jumpers and was wondering what would make you come back to the DZ and start jumping again.

I purposefully did not include lower jump ticket prices. We all know that is a factor and it appears some of the DZ's are dropping their prices as fuel comes down in price.

Thanks for your time.......
:P

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Care to elaborate?

I'm of the opinion that students shouldn't jump with the same instructor on every supervised jump.

I also feel that it isn't fair for one or two instructors to get the majority of the student jumps when there are other instructors available and wanting to work.

I'm not sure what category this fits in...

I would go to more DZ's, Boogies, Etc. if people learned how to fly canopies and obeyed traffic patterns. Its getting ridiculous.

You cannot teach common sense, but you can enforce the rules. I know of several DZ's that are not having issues with patterns. Every DZ will have occasional issues with the pattern; it is very important that the DZO, DSM and ST & A are all on the same page and enforce the rule unilaterally. If anyone of the three cave the rules become useless.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I have noticed a steady decline in up-jumpers and was wondering what would make you come back to the DZ and start jumping again.

It's the economy in general. People have less disposable income. It's not the price of a jump ticket; it's the price of everything in the world.

DZs have no control over this.

Adding in boogies, freefly organizers, canopy coaching, whatever simply isn't going to help. It might be nice for the folks that can still afford to jump, but will do nothing at all for those that have decided it just doesn't make sense at this time.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hey All,

We all know the price of fuel and the economy smacked our sport pretty hard. I have noticed a steady decline in up-jumpers and was wondering what would make you come back to the DZ and start jumping again.

I purposefully did not include lower jump ticket prices. We all know that is a factor and it appears some of the DZ's are dropping their prices as fuel comes down in price.

Thanks for your time.......
:P

I think it's a few things causing a decline in the sport. First off, I know people that skydive for a few years, and then just get bored. Skydiving just doesn't excite them as much as it used to for whatever reason.

Secondly, there aren't as many new people continuing in the sport.

With tandems being pushed so hard, it's really easy for one person to come and do a jump, and then leave. If we (collectively) tried to get more people to take the first jump course, then you would have many more up and coming skydivers, and you would keep all of your beginner instructors busy with students. considering you can get an instructor rating at 150 jumps, it's an easy way to keep jumping, without spending tons of $$$, which would most certainly keep me going to the DZ more often.

Whereas to get your tandem rating, they recommend nearly 1,000 jumps as it is (I know the minimum is 500, but that's not necessarily the recommendation, and I heard that information from a tandem examiner)

So...i'd say, bring back the 182's, pump through the students, and more easily encourage people to continue with the sport.

That's my opinion anyway.

I could go into more detail, but I'm at work now, so I'll have to go.
What goes up, must come DOWN!!!

Care to elaborate?

I'm of the opinion that students shouldn't jump with the same instructor on every supervised jump.

I also feel that it isn't fair for one or two instructors to get the majority of the student jumps when there are other instructors available and wanting to work.

I second that ;)

I purposefully did not include lower jump ticket prices.

Money is the only limiting factor.

If you're not jumping much because of a perceived lack of coaches, organizers or camps, then go somewhere else and find some. Or just jump on your own or with other fun jumpers. Sure, you may not progress as fast or have dives as successful, but you'll still have fun. And that's what this sport is all about.

If I could retrieve
the fortune I have spent
Worrying where it came from
not caring where it went
I could live the heady lifestyle
of Playboy magazine
I would see the worldly sights,
that still remain unseen.

I must amount to thousands
I've squandered on the sport
The mark of any jumper
a balance close to nought
But if I had it back
in one financial lump
I'd go south in the winter
and jump and jump and jump.

- Skies Call

It's the economy in general. People have less disposable income. It's not the price of a jump ticket; it's the price of everything in the world.

DZs have no control over this.

the consequence on me hasn't been less money, but less time. My group is half the size it was, so guess who picks up the work? I'm in a stretch where I'm working 4 of 5 Saturdays. I'm lucky to get paid OT for it, but often that makes Sunday a rest day or a tool around town day.

Until Feb (potential bonus time), I get to put up with it. After that, can consider other options, but stability is key in a crappy economy.

Nothing. I missed one weekend last season and zero weekends this season. :P

Blues,
Dave

So how many of those jumps did you pay for and how many did you get paid for?

Therein lies the rub:P

It depends on how you do the math, but I suppose I could argue that I paid for every single one of them. :P:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Nothing. I missed one weekend last season and zero weekends this season. :P

Blues,
Dave

So how many of those jumps did you pay for and how many did you get paid for?

Therein lies the rub:P

It depends on how you do the math, but I suppose I could argue that I paid for every single one of them. :P:D

Blues,
Dave

I'm sure you did, lol! I used to jump every weekend and even during the week those years when I came out even or ahead. Or even a bit under. Sadly that is not so anymore.

I wish that I could say that it is one of the other resons stated above.. for me, its a matter of time. Life is SOOOOO dang busy! and the skydiving lifestyle is not that way.. after all.. how many times have you gone to the DZ only to find either a weather hold or not enuf people to get the plane in the air. Dont get me wrong! I am not complaining.. I wish that I could afford more days in my life like that.. hangin' out at the DZ, not caring what time it is.. not caring if Im going to be able to get that next jump in before I HAVE to go take care of one of lifes other requirements.. Ahh if I could only be independantly wealthy! So, long answer short.. I guess, it would only be ME that can make ME go to the DZ more often.
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Nice poem, did you write it?
I don't think the sport is dying, I fear it could far to easily though.
My most limiting factors are, Time: Family so only 1 day for nearly all weekends: Weather: C182 DZ, 2 but don't have 2 pilots very often anymore so limited amount of loads and lots of Tandems: Usually working, often in FJC and/or editing Tandem videos.
Edo
Concumbui
Aethrae Cernuare