Tuna-Salad

Have you ever been on a jump ship when something went wrong?

Was it in the 80's? Damn, now I have to dig out those old log books. It sounds like the same incident. I remember I was sitting in the front, closest to the pilot. Heard every (swear) word he said. I don't remember making it to 8,000ft though. As for the cause of the engine failure, all I have is hear say.

In those days I logged everything! I will check it and get back to you...

Meanwhile, What did happen to Sugar Alpha?

I think I've told this in another thread somewhere...but the quick version is....I was probably sittin about half way down the plane. A fella in the row closest to the window whipped his head around, looked out the window, and started strappin on his helmet. I tapped him on the shoulder and asked "wuz up?"...he said "we're about to lose an engine" I asked "how do you know that?"
He comes back with "cause I'm a DC-3 pilot!"
Me...and everyone within ear shot of him started strappin on those helmets! A few seconds later, a shudder - and smoke blows past the window.
While we were waiting to exit, the pilot fella told me to ease over to the window and check it out...he said "never can tell the next time you'll have the chance to see an engine feathered in flight"

Several months later, at our home DZ (NW Louisiana)...a visitor comes through. Later , after the beer light came on , we're swappin lie....uhhh true stories, and I start telling the Sugar Alpha story.
When I get to the part where I ask "how do you know that?"...the visiting skydiver leans across the fire and says "cause I'm a DC_3 pilot!"
DaaaannngIT! For such a big place, sometimes the sky can be a small world! :D

(not sure of the final fate of Sugar Alpha, surely one of our historians on here has the scoop?)

[reply
I tapped him on the shoulder and asked "wuz up?"...he said "we're about to lose an engine" I asked "how do you know that?"
He comes back with "cause I'm a DC-3 pilot!"

Two things... What altitude did you exit at? I remember being one of the last out, and I remember everyone being very calm. The pilot did a great job of communicating instructions, etc. I remember exiting very low and I remember the plane landed in the grass just short of the runway.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Yea, a couple of weeks ago over at ECSC in Elberta, AL we had an engine problem in the twin otter that was leased for the winter; the starboard engine started making a low noise while climbing followed by a slowing of the prop. So, we circled over toward the DZ, got a good spot and then did "mandatory" hop n' pops at 4K. All got out, except a TI and student, and we all landed uneventfully. It ended up that a circuit breaker had tripped--we were back in the air within an hour or so.

Everyone seemed pretty calm in the plane, but upon reviewing the video from one of our camera guys, he (the camera guy) was evidently extremely nervous about the whole predicament. I had a huge grin on my face in the video, and he told me "you army guys are used to getting out low." Since when is 4,000 low? 800 or less with two rounds is what I consider low.

Westwind crashed on take off in Eloy in '92. .

wasn't it 91 in Coolidge when we lost the westwind - I was supposed to practice that day but had to stay in phoenix to meet my family

either way (I might have my dates mixed up), that was quite a mess afterward

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

[reply

It probably stopped leaking. The only reason a DC-3 engine ever stops leaking is that it's out of oil.

sounds like a ch-47 we were flying back to ft. campbell from louisville one time and as you looked down the length of the cabin their were so many leaks it look like it was a light rain inside the cabin. I nudged the crew chief and asked " don't that worry you"? he's naw when it stops leaking that's when it's time for another 5 gal. of hydralic fluid;):D:D:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

[reply
Two things... What altitude did you exit at? I remember being one of the last out, and I remember everyone being very calm. The pilot did a great job of communicating instructions, etc. I remember exiting very low and I remember the plane landed in the grass just short of the runway.

Being in the middle of the pack, I probably exited around 2000 - 2500ft...and I remember as you said ,
everyone being calm...instead of jez hollering over his shoulder, the pilot got up and stood in the doorway of the cockpit to give his instructions. It was all high adventure for me ...with 200 jumps I was the lowjump rookie on the load. I remember being in awe that the guy in front of me had 12-1300 jumps and the guy behind me had 2500. This was in the days that at our local DZ, 4-500 jumps qualified you for skygod:D

Ever lost an engine or had to go back and land because of a mechanical problem?

Yep, I believe the exhaust manifold fell off (C-182) We smelled something and about the time was asked, "Do you smell that?" the pilot said, "Get out!" We did, the first 2 went to main and latter two went reserve. The first out were out around 1900- 2000 feet, the last two out were out more around 1700-1800 feet. I landed in a yard, two landed near a highway, and one in a clearing in the forest we were over. Moral: Be ready!

steveOrino

that's funny! I grew up in Garrettsville,....haven't lived there in a long time and never heard of this

I don't know it would be the sort of thing people would hear about outside a small circle of friends.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The Westwind crashed about 10 days before the Perris Otter.

Defintely not Coolidge. It was in Eloy.
I'm pretty sure it was '92.

The Eloy Westwind crash... http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X14456&key=1

The Perris Twin Otter crash... http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X14468&key=1

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Robert if you think MALO is not keeping track of your jumps then you are mistaken...;)

shit!!!

tell your wife i have 10 jumps... she will believe it if you say it!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's interesting that the pilot claimed a "dust devil" caused the crash. There was no dust devil.

I noticed he didn't mention that he took off down wind in a quartering tail wind. The airplane was trimmed for landing and he forgot to trim it for takeoff before the takeoff roll.

Larry flew the previous load. Our pilot drove us out in the bus and then got in the plane. Larry drove the bus back to manifest and then right back out with it to the crash site.

Not trimming the plane is not always a big deal if noticed soon enough, which he did. But instead of just reaching down to adjust the trim and glancing down periodically while doing so, he locked his eyes on the trim indicator while adjusting it.

That's when the plane started drifting off the runway to the left. Then when he looked back up, he "knee jerked" the yoke back into his lap before we had enough airspeed and it was off to the races.

Dust devil my ass.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

wasn't that old col. joe flying the westwind when it crashed? he ground looped it landing at the L.P. boogie the summer before and if I remember right it was the same boogie that it lost and engine climbing through 6000 ft.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward