freeheelbillie

short guys TALL guys ??

So I will be finishing AFF this weekend (weather dependent) and I have been looking at containers as well as complete rigs...just getting ideas & prices.

It sure seems like the majority of rigs posted here are for guys about 5'8" or under...At 6'0" and 185lbs I am having a hard time finding a good deal.

Just thought it was odd skydiving seems to be dominated by vertically challenged guys. At least the guys selling anyway...
Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

i'm 6'4", 275lb. my rig was sized for someone considerably smaller. it was a good deal, and new leg and chest straps from mike g. and it's perfect in my eyes.

i spent ten years hanging in a tree climbing rig. they weren't custom fitted. it's not really important to me in a skyjumpin' rig.

chances are that the gear you jumped as a student was made for someone smaller anyway.

don't be afraid of good enough as far as size, it it's a good deal price/quality wise.

have fun!
well im not a skyride fan by any means, but this sport is and always has been rich in moraly questionable behavior. -parabuteo

Just thought it was odd skydiving seems to be dominated by vertically challenged guys. At least the guys selling anyway...

I noticed that also, most young skydivers seem to be little wormy dudes. Must be the beer and ramen noodel diet. :D
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I noticed that also, most young skydivers seem to be little wormy dudes. Must be the beer and ramen noodel diet. :D

beer AND ramen? that would be a feast.

it's either or for me...
well im not a skyride fan by any means, but this sport is and always has been rich in moraly questionable behavior. -parabuteo

~don't be afraid of good enough as far as size, it it's a good deal price/quality wise.

On the contrary grasshopper...:S

Yet another example of why not to take survival advise over the Internet.

There is a scene in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
where they keep getting slapped by these things that
pop up. ;)

I would discuss any rig fit advice with a rigger.
:)

So I will be finishing AFF this weekend (weather dependent) and I have been looking at containers as well as complete rigs...just getting ideas & prices.

It sure seems like the majority of rigs posted here are for guys about 5'8" or under...At 6'0" and 185lbs I am having a hard time finding a good deal.

1. It's a combination of height and inseam. 5'10 - 3" inseam - 20 = 19" main lift web; 6'3 - 36 - 20 = 19", or 72" - 33" - 20 = 19".

2. You can often have the harness modified for a lot less than the difference between a used rig and new rig,

I'm 6'3 and kinda fell into my rig. Rigger at my DZ happened to have a rig laying around that he got the day before and I tried it on...perfect fit. Perfect canopy, everything. Really just fell into my lap. Check with your local shop/rigger...they usually have a heap of random stuff lying around that might work for ya. Worst case you get a new custom one made for you.

isn't a comfortable, proper fit the reason most jumpers even purchase their own gear?

Personally I got real lucky regarding my rig, from one of the instructors at my DZ and it fits perfect!

IMO, if the rig doesn't fit perfectly then price/quality don't matter since size/fit is the MOST important factor of any rig.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I would take functionality over comfort any day.

Don't they all function the same?

If not, why not?

If they do, wouldn't you agree that you perform better in a rig that fits?

No... they dont really all function the same....:).

Ya know...one could construe that a bit differently.. but since its not Bonfire...:ph34r:

i looked and looked and looked for a used rig but it was no use. I wasn't gonna keep paying $50/jump. I am 6' 178 lbs so I ordered a custom V-3 with the works. Love it. Nothing beats spacer foam and a custom fit.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I'm 6'2" and 185 - well still trying to lose a few more pounds. Wasn't a big problem to find a rig that fit. Just have to be patient. One thing you might not want to hear given that you're probably anxious to buy your first rig is that you're probably better off waiting until you've got 30-50 jumps under your belt.

Depending on how you progress and the advice of your instructors, you might be flying something significantly smaller. Here it's not uncommon to see someone go from a 280 on their 10th jump to a 170-190 by their 30th or 40th. If you buy right now you might only get 50 jumps on the rig before you are ready for something much smaller.

-Michael

Like a previous poster said, just keep looking and have some patience. I also happen to be 6'0 and 180, it took me about 2 months before I found something. The wait was well worth it. Congrats (may the weather gods be with you) and welcome to the sport!
Just once I'd like to be called "sir", without someone adding "you're inciting a riot".

If you buy right now you might only get 50 jumps on the rig before you are ready for something much smaller.

Buy a used container for $1k, use it for 50 jumps, sell it for $900, or rent for 50 jumps.

Buying is better. You just need to be patient, learn the market and look for good deals.

Good luck this weekend Billie!!
You should talk to Dave Billings at our DZ. He's a PD rep and is the one who handles all the new/used rig transactions at the DZ.

On another note, I don't know what size you're flying now but like an other poster said, Think about where you'll end up in 50-100jumps. I started jumping my rig at 35 jumps and just rented untill I felt ready to fly my set-up.
I flew the 260- for AFF then 230 for about 10 solid standup landings. Then I went to 190 (we had no student/rental 210s at the time) and flew that from jump # 12 through # 27. 15 nice solid stand ups in different conditions. THEN at #28 started flying the 170s off the rental rack 'till my gear was airworthy.

Point is like the other guy said, you're gonna end up with a smaller canopy sooner than it feels from here!

See you Sunday!!
God luck with those levels!

SirVato

PS - quit calling me SHORT DAMMIT!!;)

If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

The rigs for newbie 6 footers sell fast, no need to advertise. Doubly so for those of us over the 200lb mark. I ended up buying the container new, the canopy used. Saved a little. But at 185lb, it should be a lot easier - there are a lot more 190s out there than 210+.

Depending on how you progress and the advice of your instructors, you might be flying something significantly smaller. Here it's not uncommon to see someone go from a 280 on their 10th jump to a 170-190 by their 30th or 40th. If you buy right now you might only get 50 jumps on the rig before you are ready for something much smaller.

-Michael

That's fine. After 70 jumps I could have thrown my first rig in the dumpster and come out ahead financially over renting. Since I resold the main and then the reserve+container I did a lot better than that, breaking even at around 15 jumps. If I'd sold everything as a package instead of downsizing a couple sizes with the same container + reserve I'd have done better.

I see no problem buying a modern canopy and a good quality container loaded 0.9-1.0 if it's a good deal.

It's a reasonably conservative loading after you get your license and off rental gear. It fits in nicely with germains chart, wanting to get off that gear as quickly as possible onto an even smaller canopy (sometimes 150 or lower) loaded over 1.0 at the ~50-100 jump mark seems to conflict with what germain says, but I see the majority of jumpers doing it.

Plenty of blokes around here stuck with the lighter loading and cranked out 300 jumps in their first year, remaining accident free. I ended up with a Sabre2 170 (loaded ~0.95) when the deal arised and it was definitely the right decision.

Talk to your instructors, demo a few of the more popular canopies, something good will turn up.