Carrapeta

BASE. . .

Why does this seem like a four letter word in the skydive community?? Believe me, I know it's a whole different animal but some times when the word "BASE" is thrown out people cringe like their mother was just bad-mouthed.

It just seems like it's the bastard child of parachuting!!! :S

Just looking for thoughts, not trying to start any sport-wars here. . .:PB|

Rich aka - Frijol Saltando

edti:

p.s. I KNOW that there's a site dedicated to BASE. . .I just want to ask the SKYDIVE community:)
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

I really dont know the answer, each to their own i guess.

I packed my BASE rig at a DZ in the summer as i had a friend there doing a tandem. So i done it out on the grass away from people and someone came up offering me the packing floor. Which i declined as i didnt want to step on toes.

That was cool.

Other places friends have warned its not cool to even utter the 4 letter word.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

we're just jealous that they dont have to pay for an airplane ride... dem cheap fuckers!! :P

Its sure fun to watch them jump, I have been ground crew several times but watching one jumper enter a river at high speed ended my urge to jump from a fixed object.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I packed my BASE rig at a DZ in the summer as i had a friend there doing a tandem. So i done it out on the grass away from people and someone came up offering me the packing floor. Which i declined as i didnt want to step on toes..Other places friends have warned its not cool to even utter the 4 letter word.

I see BASE rigs on the packing room floor often.

Ummmm, actually it is an acronym.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

just don`t talk about it...keep it separately...skydiving on the dz...base outside the dz...
shouldn`t be that hard, or do you absolutely have to brag/talk about the "forbidden" sport?

Oh for the love of fuck.

Don't be that guy.

your wrong, i am not that guy...i don`t mind, but if the OP are jumping on a dz where other jumpers have this mindset..well, this is the easiest solution

OR CHANGE DZ;)

Ah, in that particular case you are probably right. I didnt understand the advice you were implying wa strictly for the OP's situation.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

both skydiving and BASE jumping are bastard children of parachuting. As the overwhelming majority thinks of parachuting as a last chance means of escaping an aircraft :)

but like they say : don't BASE jump at the dropzone, and don't skydive from BASE objects. Skyding centers are either businesses or purpose built clubs - for skydiving, NOT BASE. Thus positive attitude towards anything but skydiving should be appreciated, but not expected :)

Its both sports that emerged from what was orginaly only intended as an emergency procedure...

Regardless of namecalling from one sport to another...the general whuffo public thinks we're suicidal idiots regardless of which one we practice...

And who cares...it wont make me enjoy my next jump one bit lessB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

i recently brought a base container off a guy at my dz and couldnt believe we had to sneak out into the car park and do the deal out of the back of his car, like some dodgie drug deal. I was watching another guys dvd of his totally legal base jumping and he was asked to turn it off... weird.

but like they say : don't BASE jump at the dropzone, and don't skydive from BASE objects. Skyding centers are either businesses or purpose built clubs - for skydiving, NOT BASE. Thus positive attitude towards anything but skydiving should be appreciated, but not expected :)

just don`t talk about it...keep it separately...skydiving on the dz...base outside the dz...
shouldn`t be that hard, or do you absolutely have to brag/talk about the "forbidden" sport?

These are what I'm talking about. . .
To tell the truth our DZ's not so bad. My observation came from the general skydive community. Alot of the folks here are pretty receptive to it, if not enamored by it.

But the feel you get from "some" or the little nips here etc. . . made me wonder?
Why should someone have to whisper BASE, why do you go out back to to a drug - er- BASE transaction. . .

I do appreciate the responses here and like I said I'm not trying to start some flame war just picking minds. . .

Your mom goes HandHeld

Bastard child??, BASE is most accurately the Poster Child of skydiving, conceived in the minds of the best skydivers to take full advantage of all the altitudinal differences and free airspace that surrounds us. Maybe lesser skydivers are jealous…

Haha!!:P

Your mom goes HandHeld

That's definately not the attitude at my DZ. The BASE guys at our DZ often pack in the hanger ( usually at the end of the day because they are going jumping that night) and no one has ever said anything bad about it or been told that it's not appropriate.
As long as you land with nylon over your head you're alright with me.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

My observation came from the general skydive community.

Does it? I don't get that at all.

Some small number of skydivers have a wierd attitude about it, but as far as I've seen the overwhelming majority have no problem at all, even those who don't ever want to BASE themselves.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I suppose there's a difference between discussing an illegal activity and discussing one's participation in the illegal activity. The former should not be forbidden at all as it impinges on free speech. And anyone who attempts to silence said discussions needs a civic lesson, perhaps followed by a tar and feathering, but I leave that to local discretion to decide.
As for the latter, it is simple logic to watch what one says in an unfriendly environment. You needn't agree with their position but if they wield any control over you, playing cool will at least buy you time. Sadly, regrettably, it won't get rid of the idiots, though.

And as for skydivers participating in illegal activities... as for judging others who participate in illegal activities... well, there just isn't enough time in the day to accommodate hypocrisy.

These are what I'm talking about. . .
To tell the truth our DZ's not so bad. My observation came from the general skydive community. Alot of the folks here are pretty receptive to it, if not enamored by it.

But the feel you get from "some" or the little nips here etc. . . made me wonder?
Why should someone have to whisper BASE, why do you go out back to to a drug - er- BASE transaction. . .

I do appreciate the responses here and like I said I'm not trying to start some flame war just picking minds. . .

At my dz everyone know im a XXXX jumper(;))...but i never got any negative coments about it, there was a one time i visit a neighbor dz...a small one...i gear myself up for a tracking jump, one of the older jumpers came up to me and asked why i had my pants over my legstraps so i told him i was going for a track jump,,,,then he snaped at me and told me this is something only base jumpers do(??),,,and he asked about what license i had,,,he didn`t care about many jumps i had..the situation went pretty weird...it ends with i took myself off my load and never visit this dz again,,,,and after that i stop talking about base on any dz..

I suppose there's a difference between discussing an illegal activity and discussing one's participation in the illegal activity.

There's nothing illegal about BASE jumping per-se. Moab and Twin falls are happy to have us. Other states with a libertarian live-and-let-live attitude have no restrictions surrounding their bridges and cliffs. The Royal Gorge gets extra tourist dollars when they invite us to jump off the brige and tram. Various Native American tribes welcome paying adveture tourists on their lands. The Mexican government likes adventure tourism and media exposure. Presumably the guys in Kuala Lumpor get something similar. All legal.

That's B, S, E, and other.

A legal antenna may be harder to come by but those are usually missing the nice nature hike in or out that goes with the geography surrounding E and S and tight landing areas that go with B in urban environments or the other two. No big loss.

No reason for people not directly involved to know if you're driving to Moab, the legal earth in the state park with the gnarly landing area, or some one's antenna.

Then there's illegal vs immoral.

I have had someone (a whuffo friend) tell me im morally corrupt for trespassing all the time.

My reasoning has always been i dont destroy anything (ok that one downwinder in the beans looked like the new heathrow runway) and im not doing anybody any harm. It truly is a victimless crime, unless you go in of course

She went on to say "Why dont you just ak them" and i explained its not just up to the land owners etc and by then you've already burnt your object if they flip out. Then on a side note i know a guy who it has worked for, he didnt ask but he frequented the place so much that a local guy living in a trailer simply got used to seeing him some early mornings and would have a cheap beer and a cigerette with him. Then ask why he opens so high :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.