BooTheGhost

Threw up on first dive, should I call it quits

I have always had a weak stomach...not terribly weak. I could ride most rollercoasters and other rides a couple times without throwing up. I'll get dizzy, but I can always hold it in. The winds were about 16 mph, but we didn't really do that many turns. Around 4k feet my ears started popping really bad and I got terribly sick.

Should I give it another chance? What are some good methods to try and prevent this from happening again if I make my next dive in a couple weeks like planned? I really liked it and would like to continue. I didn't eat for about 5 hours before I made the dive as well.

I want to do it again but it was extremely humiliating and I felt awful for my instructor.

I didn't eat for about 5 hours before I made the dive as well.

big problem right there no? if I dont eat for a while i get queasy, especially while doing something as demanding as jumping. try snacking a bit before your next jump. no three course meals, but don't starve yourself. but im pretty new at this, so talk to others as well.
I'd wait for you outside the courtoom.
Taunting; when all of your appeals were declined.

I'm assuming this was a tandem, since you talked about 'us' turning... tandem harnesses fit VERY differently from sport rigs and the way they fit can in some instances keep blood a bit more in your legs and away from your brain, making you dizzy, sometimes puke or pass out. Even I get a little queasy when riding front on tandem due to the different perspective, less control, different fit of the harness, etc. Between that and the lack of food and maybe lack of hydration as well, that will all contribute.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I see. That's a good idea. I figured it would be best to go on an empty stomach... I'm really worried though, because I wasn't nervous on the ride up. I was only marginally nervous jumping out the plane, and the free fall passes so fast I didn't really feel anything. I'm just afraid that I'm not going to be able to do it anymore.

I've made two tandems, one I didn't eat prior and the other I ate something small. It was today (YAY) and very hot, so I wa worried if I didn't eat combined with the heat I'd get nauseous, too. Though I did not get sick either time, I do think you should try eating something light about an hour or two prior, drink plenty of water, and also maybe try some ginger or dramamine an hour before. Certainly give it one more try... Good luck! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Firstly, a solid adrenaline dump on an empty stomach will make you sick.

Secondly, tandem jumps can make you sick under canopy. You're sitting forward of the turning axis due to the attachments of the canopy to the instructor's harness, not yours. That will turn your stomach sometimes.

Do an AFF class and eat next time!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i threw up right after landing on 3 out of my 4 tandems. i felt a little sick after my aff 1 and 2, but was completely fine aside from that. just tell the instructor next time not to spin the canopy or you'll puke :) you could even fold a paper bag in your pocket if you need to puke before landing.

Forget drugs.

Most of the tandem students who have thrown up on me forgot to eat breakfast.
The other one said :"I forgot to mention that I am coming down with the flu."

Plenty of water and light snacks will steady your stomach and tell you instructor to make gentle turns.

Not sure if you jumped at Elsinore yesterday but its my understanding that 2 tandems got sick under canopy. Either way, it was not just windy yesterday, it was gusty, real gusty.
Its been doing that alot in the afternoon lately. I went down there around 1 but never did jump cuz I live way to close to jump in gusty winds.
Everyone that came down was complaining about turbulence under canopy. I saw a nasty dust devil near the loading area that caused 2 tandems to land near the swoop pond.
My point is I'll bet you were getting one hell of a ride under that huge canopy, so I wouldnt beat yourself up over it. I know a girl got sick too, lol I talked to the video guy. But who knows maybe you did not jump at Elsinore, ur profile doesnt say, regardless just jump again and see if u puke!

btw today was much calmer till around 2:30 then got nice around 5 again...awesome day, very good vibe today....really good people at Elsinore, specially the real experienced jumpers. Always eager to jump with newbies like myself.
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

I did my first jump AFF style. I actually ate a large breakfast right before and I was fine. Of course I've never done a tandem so I can't say if it made me sick or not but it didnt seem to bother me any. However if you truly enjoyed it then try AFF and make sure I'm not underneath you next time! (I'm just kidding) Congratulations on your first jump.

You may have also had a touch of "ground rush" that made you sick. Above a certain altitude you can't relly "percieve" how high you are because you don't have the visual references in your peripheral vision.

I also agree that you should try eating something light a couple of hours before you jump and be sure to drink plenty of water. (just remember to go to the bathroom beofre the jump - lol)

Thanks for all of the replies. Sadly the way the DZ I go to instructs requires me to fly tandem twice before I can jump AFF normally. I guess I'll just have to tough it out next week and see what happens after I get to fly alone. Thanks for all of the advice.

I wasn't really nervous at all so I don't think that had anything to do with it. I guess it's something I have to get used to.

I have always had a weak stomach...not terribly weak. I could ride most rollercoasters and other rides a couple times without throwing up. I'll get dizzy, but I can always hold it in. The winds were about 16 mph, but we didn't really do that many turns. Around 4k feet my ears started popping really bad and I got terribly sick.

Should I give it another chance? What are some good methods to try and prevent this from happening again if I make my next dive in a couple weeks like planned? I really liked it and would like to continue. I didn't eat for about 5 hours before I made the dive as well.

I want to do it again but it was extremely humiliating and I felt awful for my instructor.

No, you shouldn't quit for the reason of "throwing up".

Get back out there. :)
I don't know why you have that problem, because I'm not a doctor, but personally I'd research and just make sure there's nothing physically keeping me from being able. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Happens to a lot of people. I get horribly sick when I play certain games.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

If its something that you want to do then.. no, I wouldnt give up. Just approach it differently. EVERYTIME I jump, I get nervous before getting to the DZ. Stomache turns a little.. I make sure that I dont put too much in and nothing too rich or heavy. Usually a couple pieces of bacon, slice of toast or two and/or a banana. Then I make sure to have snacks @the DZ and pleanty of water. Have found that small amounts of food are much better than a reg sized meal or no food at all. Good luck.. blue skies and no vomit comet bags!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I threw up (under canopy) after my first AFF skydive. I attribute that to lots of adrenaline on an empty stomach. When I was getting my Tandem Instructor rating I almost threw up on my instructor/examiner who was riding student after our "hell dive". . "He kept saying, "Phelps, you're not gonna throw up on me!" I don't know if he was asking me or telling me, so I decided to swallow the puke in my throat (yep, it was gross but I passed) After I earned my AFF Instructor rating I had a crazy student. Her poor body position on exit caused us to lose the reserve jump master. She was doing pretty good with me on her main until she decided to go fetal. We tumbled until I pulled for her as she was clawing at my reserve handle. I think I dry heaved under canopy. Again adrenaline. So, you tell me, should you quit because you puked??

steveOrino

I agree with pretty much everyone here. Don't stop because of this, especially if you loved it!

When I did my tandem I got nausea as well. To the point I felt I got to throw up. Fortunately it didn't happen, when I was on the ground it took a while to wear off though.

Then I realised that since I am carsick since I was a little kid, it might have to do with that. Whenever I drive with someone in the back or the passengers seat, I get sick within 15 minutes. But when I drive myself, there is no problem! It has to do with your motionsensors in your brain. When you drive yourself, your brains know where you're going.

Under canopy, when the tandeminstructor steers ('drives") your brains realize too late where you're going, and messing up your sensors. Then you get sick.

As a kid I used medication to prevent this happening in the car. When jumping solo, (only did 1 tandem) there wasn't any problem. Never got sick. Sometimes I used the same meds as a kid to prevent getting sick in the plane, depending on the pilot.....

I think this will happen with you as well. Some already said so... jump solo and the problem is probably gone.

If they really insist on another tandem, you might try something for motionsickness you can buy in a pharmacy. Or ask the instructor if you can steer for a while.... LOL

Go out there and have fun!! It only took me 1 tandem to realize that I waited way too long to start this sport.

Blues!

Two suggestions:

First, remind your tandem instructor to leave the belly band a little loose. A loose belly band presses less on your tummy, reducing nausea.
I sometimes leave it too loose, then challenge young men to "fill" it with their beer gut on exit.
They usually laugh at me, but it helps emphasis the arch half a second out the door.

Secondly, ask your tandem instructor to let you hold the steering toggles all the way to landing. This is an instructional dive, right????
Holding toggles helps anticipate turns, again reducing nausea.