fasted3

What is an Expert Skydiver?

It seems to be anyone with more than two jumps when pontificating in either:

a) A bar
b) an internet forum

Expertise comes in many forms and skydiving has many disciplines. An expert in Belly-RW may not be the expert in VRW or Canopy piloting.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I see what you're talking about, but I meant in a more general way. For example, some of the DZ commers are expert skydivers in my eyes even though I don't know the details of their skills.
Then there is one case I remember reading about that referred to an 'expert' skydiver with something like 75 jumps under his belt. I suspect that most of us would be skeptical of that.
Oh yes, I am definately an expert myself when I'm in a bar. Otherwise no.
But what do I know?

Were your ears burning?

Oh HELL no! :D

My 'expertise' is in longevity in the sport because of a decidedly conservative approach...doesn't seem to be a lotta call for that kind of advise these days. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It seems to be anyone with more than two jumps when pontificating in either:

a) A bar
b) an internet forum

Sweet that includes me. I havent been lieing all these years. :D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

When I was working on my A license I thought that everyone with a D was an expert. Then I got my D.

Ain't no experts here.:)

"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Oh we are all experts here. ;)
And in the bar too. :P
But seriously...
Having given this some thought, here's what I think.
Lots of jumps - Maybe
Gets paid to skydive - Probably
Gets paid to watch other people skydive - For sure

But what do I know?

"Then there is one case I remember reading about that referred to an 'expert' skydiver with something like 75 jumps under his belt. I suspect that most of us would be skeptical of that.

Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers?
Tee!
Hee!

Seriously, whenever there is a skydiving accident, journalists feel compelled to write a standard series of phrases "parachute failed, plummeting to his death, from a great height, ... etc."
Whether those phrases relate to today's accident is irrelevant.

there is no such thing. there is just someone who knows more than you but you have to know the how to tell if what they are telling you is true or a pile of manure. and if you can do that then you are. you can be reasonabley sure that if they don't advertise that they are and they have a lifetime of experience that just shines through everything they do then they more than likely are as much an expert as anyone could be. I think the bottom line is experience and the ability to learn from it and pass it on.
This goes for all disciplines of the sport

I have a different take on this one...

You're only an expert when you're no longer a student. And, more importantly, no one should ever stop being a student! The day you consider yourself an expert is the day you stop learning.

Be a Lifelong Student of the sport!!!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

What are your requirements to be considered an expert?

The requirement to be considered an expert is simply to BE considered. You see what you want to see ~n all that rot.

You might learn to trust those who are able to say "I don't know." And you are fortunate when they add: "... but I can find out for you." (It's a hint that the speaker wants you to stick around.)

You speak as an expert, I believe, only when you are connected to the origin of the knowledge you share. References, baby.

If he can't say where he got it, she can't say where it has been. Better wash your hands.

Do not be afraid to ask. "How do you know that?" and/or "Are you sure about that?" or even: "Who told you THAT?!"

"Just remember where you came from, Mark." Joe Smith, 1982
A Peace Prize within minutes of Bombing the Moon. Coincidence? "Beware the Military Industrial Complex." You GO Ike!

What are your requirements to be considered an expert? How many jumps? Any other requirements?

No such thing, unless you want to call a skydiver with a PRO rating an expert.

Personally the criteria I'd have for an expert is 20,000 skydives, PRO rating, damn good at belly, sit, head down, tunnel flying in all disciplines, great at wing suit flying and sky surfing & base jumping with at least 1000 jumps in each after becoming "great at it". Also must be damn good at canopy flying, swooping, had at least 100 reserve rides intentionally, etc.

Way too many criteria to be called an "expert" imo.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan