shveddy

Skydiving Chain of Death

I've seen a VHS transfer of an 8mm movie of the real way to do the chain of death.

You take five guys, all wearing T-10 static line rigs (with chest mount reserves). You take one guy, and give him a ripcord.

The static line guys all leave the plane with their static lines in their hands. The first guy docks in the dude with the ripcord, and hooks his static line to the ripcord guy's harness. Guy three docks on guy two, and hooks his static line to guy two's harness, and so on.

When guy six is in place, Mr. Ripcord gets the party started, and you have the real chain of death.

The trick was that everyone had a spring loaded pilot chute in their rig, and if things went bad, you could just pull your own static line. The video I saw was a success, I'm not sure how many times they did this, or if things ever went 'wrong'.

I've seen a VHS transfer of an 8mm movie of the real way to do the chain of death.

You take five guys, all wearing T-10 static line rigs (with chest mount reserves). You take one guy, and give him a ripcord.

The static line guys all leave the plane with their static lines in their hands. The first guy docks in the dude with the ripcord, and hooks his static line to the ripcord guy's harness. Guy three docks on guy two, and hooks his static line to guy two's harness, and so on.

When guy six is in place, Mr. Ripcord gets the party started, and you have the real chain of death.

The trick was that everyone had a spring loaded pilot chute in their rig, and if things went bad, you could just pull your own static line. The video I saw was a success, I'm not sure how many times they did this, or if things ever went 'wrong'.

Sounds fucking awesome.

Btw, the vid is great B|
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LduBt3e92qs

Seems to be an appropriate thing to do giving the numerological coincidences.

pretty feeble thing to call a 'Chain Of Death'

in the late 70's a french Canadian 8 way team under strats or some other equally ancient square used to break off by turning sideways and everyone just start dumping ... not even vertical separation .. they practiced that way and did it on their first jump at the Canadian Nationals and were then told if they did it again ... they were out of the competition ...

who needs a 'chain' when ya got a furball ??

Now THAT'S pretty good!:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LduBt3e92qs

Seems to be an appropriate thing to do giving the numerological coincidences.

By "numerological coincidences" are you referring to the fact that it was the Friday the 13th (March 13) immediately before Safety Day (the 14th) :)
The aircraft looks strangely familiar :)
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Do they really have a death wish?

Maybe it's safer at lower altitudes ;)

http://www.apexbase.com/gallery.asp?photoid=318
http://www.apexbase.com/gallery.asp?photoid=321
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Funny you should mention lower altitudes, because I've seen a better BASE chain of death as well.

This one is on Thread the Needle 2: A Finer Thread, and it's two jumpers, with jumper A being PCA'd off this bridge while he is PCAing jumper B who leaves at the same time he does. Since they are falling right next to each other, jumper B's rig remains closed until jumper A reaches line stretch and jumper B falls away from jumper A.

I know the guys in the pic have three in their chain, but that was from 900 ft. The bridge in Thread the Needle is (I think) 240ft. Jumper B ends up with a very short canopy ride.

Funny you should mention lower altitudes, because I've seen a better BASE chain of death as well.

This one is on Thread the Needle 2: A Finer Thread, and it's two jumpers, with jumper A being PCA'd off this bridge while he is PCAing jumper B who leaves at the same time he does. Since they are falling right next to each other, jumper B's rig remains closed until jumper A reaches line stretch and jumper B falls away from jumper A.

I know the guys in the pic have three in their chain, but that was from 900 ft. The bridge in Thread the Needle is (I think) 240ft. Jumper B ends up with a very short canopy ride.

And lets not forget it was jumper A's first time PCA'ing somebody!

And i think 240' is correct
BASE 1384

Yeah, there were actually 4 in that pic you just can't see the top guy.

As for the one you are talking about i might have seen it. Is that the one where they jump out of the van at the top and then go for it?
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

hmm odd, plane looks familiar as well... i wonder if this had this happened down the road at a dz that starts with an L the jumpers at this dz (i think) here would have complained about how unsafe it was.

don't flame, just independent observation
-Patrick

The real way to do it is with 5 or 6 people in static line rigs. First out hooks his static line to the second out who hooks his to the third out and so on. The last guy out has his static line hooked to the plane. Best done out of a DC-3. When the first guy out gets line stretch he is about 150/200 feet below the plane. And the proper name is Daisy chain.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

the stupidest thing I've seen so far this year

Why? To a whuffo, the skydiving you do is stupid. You choose your level of acceptable risk; they choose theirs.

Probably not as dangerous as people think, but if everyone did it regularly we'd be getting incidents all the time caused by this.