half-a-greek

Why do you jump?

Hi all,

I have to write a college paper, and since I've been given the freedom to pick my topic I thought "why we jump" would be an interesting one. I know the question has been asked countless times before, but for citation purposes I'm throwing it out there again. So by posting in this forum you are giving me permission to use your words. That said, the paper will not be published in any way, shape, or form.

And if you want to share, but you do not want me to use what you say, just say so. I feel that this is an interesting question to ask any skydiver, because everyone has a different reason. You can look at this as a way to share your story with the skydiving world.

Thanks!

I turned 50 in May of this year. My life has been full of toys and playin' games. Then I went tandem. Then I went tandem again. Now I begin AFF next Friday morning.
Why do I jump! It gives me a feeling of being in control of my life. I don't believe in death, so there is no fear. Jumping gives me a sense of freedom and with freedom come power. The power to soar like an eagle high above the clouds! I love jumping!
bocabruce

I don't believe in death...

What!?

There is a lot of evidence to support the existence of death!!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I think that is the hardest question i have been asked about skydiving yet. Something just draws me to the DZ. I have always been a person who gives up on things very easy but for some reason i have never tried harder for anything in my life. Something about letting go of the plane and flying free just brings me some kind of peace.
EARTH! Short bus of the universe,
since the year T+10.3 billion!

REV. DUDEMIESTER D.S.#120

I don't believe in death...

What!?

There is a lot of evidence to support the existence of death!!

And theres a lot of evidence to support there never being death :P

To answer your question. At first it was all just for the rush of jumping out of a plane. Its changed now because skydiving is such a part of my social life that I like the people more now. I dont get the same rush as I used to, its different now but still just as much fun. Its a goal to learn whatever disipline Im working on

This is the only activity I have ever engaged in that, from the time I arrive on the DZ to the time I leave, no other aspect of my life enters my mind. Not work, bills, money, housework . . . nothing. It's a true mental vacation. My 2 cents

Jumping is the one thing that is for me. I don't do it foranyone else. I can relax and have fun at my pace. My brother is the only other person in my family that does jump, but my wife and kids love to come watch. It is truly my time though. I'm a little selfish;)

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

This is the only activity I have ever engaged in that, from the time I arrive on the DZ to the time I leave, no other aspect of my life enters my mind. Not work, bills, money, housework . . . nothing. It's a true mental vacation. My 2 cents

I second that. One day, before boarding the plane, I told myself I was going to MAKE myself think about crap from life while in freefall. Well, on the ride up, with the stuff that happens (we all know what that is)... I completely forgot and I remembered when I had landed.

I jump for several reasons, but perhaps most of all, I like the challenge.

I wish I could say that I never feel anxiety before a jump, but a lot of times I do. Skydiving enables me to challenge that anxiety and to overcome it. And after I have jumped, I feel like I have grown, that my spirit has grown stronger, and that I have overcome. As Friedrich Nietzsche said, "that which does not kill me makes me stronger." I think this is very true in skydiving. If the jump doesn't kill me, I walk away with a stronger spirit.

Other reasons:

I like the thrill.

I like the view.

It gaves me a greater appreciation of nature and God's creation in general.

I like the camaraderie.

I am sure I can think of other reasons if I really try, but that is enough for now.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

You really have a problem here....
You need to ask
1. why did you do your first jump ?
2. why did you do your next few jumps ?
3. why did you keep jumping after that ?

I think you'll find the answer is different to each question .

1. I wanted to do it for quite a while (since I was a little kid, same as everyone - the sky, flying dreams), but I wasn't sure there were any skydiving clubs in my country (boy I was wrong till I googled lol).

2. The first jump was a very powerful experience, something I never experienced before, I loved it, I was afraid, but it was only natural that I took AFF next week after my tandem.

3. Because it's fun, new experiences, new people.. I was looking for a hobby/sport, I actually had nothing better to do with my life until I started skydiving. I don't know how to put it, not gonna go into the whole "spiritual" stuff, it's just fun, simple as that, I never thought I would be capable of doing such things, it was fun to overcome my fears and do something special in my life for a change..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Why did I jump?
I've only been in the sport for 2 months and have only 6 jumps under my belt and it's the question on every ones lips.
"Shah, why are you jumping?"
Truth be told I can't tell people why I'm jumping. It's deeply personal.
But if I had to sum it up in under a million words?
To find inner peace with the world and most importantly with my self.
I can't explain it other than to say, by the time my feel are on the ground my mind is at peace.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

For the enjoyment of the 3 forms of flight you get from a skydive.

1) plane ride: To view the earth from above.

2) Freefall: to be a back yard astronaut. To feel like superman. To fly the body and see rare, surreal moments with your friends.

3) The canopy ride and swoop: A personal airplane/glider with minimal parts.

It allows me to not think about the stressors at home....believe it or not I just get relaxed...that and I get to hang out with my dz family. I am closer to some of my dz family than some of my regular family --- what can i say, i am dysfuntional at best -:P

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

You really have a problem here....
You need to ask
1. why did you do your first jump ?
2. why did you do your next few jumps ?
3. why did you keep jumping after that ?

I think you'll find the answer is different to each question .

1) I needed a challenge in myt life. That's why I got looking into skydiving. Next, I wanted to prove to mylef that I could/would.
2) never had an experience like that before..I wanted more
3)..and more. The friends, the aforementioned mental vaction, living in the moment, the challenge/fun of accomplishing the dirt dive or training students...
the list goes on and on. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom