waterboy3412

Requirements for B License

B License

2. Persons holding a USPA B license are able to exercise all privileges of an A-license holder, perform night jumps, with 100 jumps are eligible for the USPA Coach Rating, and must have-

a. obtained a USPA A license

b. completed 50 jumps including:

(1) accumulated at least 30 minutes of controlled freefall time

(2) landed within ten meters of target center on ten jumps

c. aerial performance requirements, either:

(1) demonstrated the ability to perform individual maneuvers (left 360, right 360, backloop, left 360, right 360, backloop) in freefall in 18 seconds or less

(2) or successful completion of the planned formation(s) on ten group freefall jumps

d. documentation of live water landing training with full equipment in accordance with the procedures in the Skydiver's Information Manual

e. passed a written exam conducted by a current USPA I, I/E, S&TA, or USPA Board member.

Download a copy of the SIM here at www.uspa.org
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

are there any benefits of having it? Thanks.

being able to do balloon, helicpoter, and night jumps. are great benefits IMO.

The first two don't always require a B. It kind of depends. The do however always require at least 100 jumps afaik.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

100 jumps for balloon and heli? Never heard that one before. It's really up to the operator's discretion. B license is a common requirement in my neck of the woods, though.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

100 jumps for balloon and heli? Never heard that one before. It's really up to the operator's discretion. B license is a common requirement in my neck of the woods, though.

That's what I'm saying. I don't think it's a USPA "requirement" to have a B license for those two. I could be wrong. I'm not 100% sure what the SIM says.

The first two don't always require a B.

Night jumps don't require a B either. They just require that you be qualified for a B. I've known a lot of people who filled out the card without sending in the $25 for the number.
Owned by Remi #?

I was under the impression that Skydive Chicago required students to have a SIM at FJC or, at least provided one as part of the training package. I'm evidently wrong on that.

If you don't have one, I strongly recommend that you get one. It's our "bible".
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Why a "B?" Because "B" follows "A," and "C" follows "B." "D" follows "C." Coach rating falls between "B" and "C." Then comes the instructors ratings, the Pro rating. Each build upon the previous one and requires completion of each step before proceeding to the next. That is the progression skydiving has set up. It is in the SIMs which is a fairly useful document.

You could use a different progression, not involving licenses and rating, belly, free, wingsuit, 4-ways, 8-ways, 16-ways, big-ways.

Have goals for each season is great. It really doesn't matter which way you go, just go.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I was under the impression that Skydive Chicago required students to have a SIM at FJC or, at least provided one as part of the training package. I'm evidently wrong on that.

SDC certainly required it when I did my training.

Could it be that, just like with college freshmen these days, it's easier to ask a question on the internet than look up the answer in the book?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SDC certainly required it when I did my training.

Could it be that, just like with college freshmen these days, it's easier to ask a question on the internet than look up the answer in the book?

Well people don't realize that it's on the Internet and can be viewed for free. Personally, I'm not paying $25 or whatever for the book when I can get a PDF.

Could just link people with those questions to the SIM. You kind of have to read the SIM to pass the tests anyway. They shouldn't only be reading the SIM when an instructor tells them to.

Is there a minimum for the size of the "group?" I heard someone say it had to be 4-ways or larger.

Nope. From the SIM:
Group skydiving, traditionally called “relative work,” may be described as the intentional maneuvering of two or more skydivers in proximity to one another in freefall.
But what do I know?

I just did a helicopter jump this past weekend, with 44 jumps under my belt. Noone mentioned anything about a B license...:S

Is there a minimum for the size of the "group?" I heard someone say it had to be 4-ways or larger.

Nope. From the SIM:
Group skydiving, traditionally called “relative work,” may be described as the intentional maneuvering of two or more skydivers in proximity to one another in freefall.

So, pretty much every jump that you plan and execute with another person?

Like coach jumps, jumps where you just have someone filming you? Where is the line drawn?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I agree. My a-license check dive was with another person and we followed the dive flow as planned so does that count? ;)

If the SIM is subjective then I guess it's up to me and my instructor to determine how a "group" is defined. Especially since he'll be the one signing the form.

I originally asked because I've had some 2-way RW skills jumps with other friends go well. All we did on the jumps was simple stuff with limited objectives such as nailing the exit, adjusting and maintaining fall rates with a couple of sidebodies thrown in. Would anyone say that that those count?

Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

...Could it be that, just like with college freshmen these days, it's easier to ask a question on the internet than look up the answer in the book?

Unfortunately, you are right.

It's part of the Dumbing Down of America Program (DDAP) sponsored by the government.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's amazing to me how many people...
a) Never heard of the SIM
b) Don't have a SIM
c) Don't read the SIM
d) Couldn't care less about the SIM
e) Are too cheap to buy one

...Could it be that, just like with college freshmen these days, it's easier to ask a question on the internet than look up the answer in the book?

Unfortunately, you are right.

It's part of the Dumbing Down of America Program (DDAP) sponsored by the government.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's amazing to me how many people...
a) Never heard of the SIM
b) Don't have a SIM
c) Don't read the SIM
d) Couldn't care less about the SIM
e) Are too cheap to buy one

Last one is one that pisses me off. It is FREE online!
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Well, yes, the on-line PDF is free.
It's advantage is the search function.

The hardcopy costs $26 or so.
It's advantages are:
- You can take it anywhere and read it without having to drag a computer around with you.
- It's easier to read
- Page flipping is easy
- No need to scroll up and down from column to column.
- All the inserts and everything is in the hardcopy.

I put a copy in my bathroom when I started.
Kinda of a "captive audience" you might say.

Well people don't realize that it's on the Internet and can be viewed for free. Personally, I'm not paying $25 or whatever for the book when I can get a PDF.

I agree - I downloaded the SIM the day I decided I was going to jump for the first time.

What I do not understand (and some of the I's can back me up on this) is why the SIM is free but if you decide you're going to be a coach you MUST buy a copy of the IRM for $34 plus shipping (Instructor's Rating Manual) - there is no IRM for download.

There's probably a good reason for that though, right? :S
T.I.N.S.

My thought is:
USPA has an obligation to promote safety and putting the SIM online for free is one way to do that.

USPA has no obligation to enhance your personal ratings.

Kinda like college...you get the orientation booklet free. You pay for your text books.

If you have a smart phone, the pdf will fit. I have mine with me all the time. On Saturday, it had been a month or so since I did much jumping, so I pulled out my phone and read the emergency procedures. Not all phones can handle PDFs, but a lot do.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672