mellow

open face vs. full face headgear

i'm way too new to actually start buying gear, but i want to start learning about it. i'm wondering if someone could explain the pros and cons of these different types of headgear.

on my 2 jumps, the wind was so intense on my face, and sort of hurt my nose and ears a little. i'm thinking that the full face might make me more comfortable, and if so, that might be my first gear purchase when the time comes. i want to make myself as comfortable (and safe) as possible when i jump to get the most out of it.

i'm not sure if there's a full face at my dz that i could wear to try out- if there is, i'll check it out and see how it feels. i was more interested in the safety factor, or other aspects of each type of headgear that i hadn't even considered.

what is your preference and why??
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

My preference is a full face helmet. Please note I have more than 2 jumps; as a student, you will probably not be allowed to jump one for quite a while.

Less wind, less noise, better protection (against knees and elbows, not against the ground).

Some people claim they restrict their vision, but I've never found that to be a problem for me. And some people get claustrophobic in one.

They do tend to fog up sooner than open face helmets and goggles, and they can freeze over in extreme circumstances (~-20°C at altitude). It may take some practice before you can open the visor with one hand, with gloves on. Taking the visor out and wearing goggles is an option when you know opening the visor is going to be a problem. Your nose won't be as warm though .. :)

Johan.
I am. I think.

+1 to above and you can always remove the visor if you want to feel the wind in your face.

I have both and prefer my Z1 for RW. Getting kicked in the face hurts.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

When I switched from open faced to full faced I was astonished at how much more peaceful my freefall felt. I was able to concentrate without the distraction of the air battering my face. For me, full face is well worth the issues mentioned above. I wear a Bonehead Havok. (Ugly helmet... but works well for me and my spectacles.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

thanks alot guys-

i just read alot of the older threads about headgear, and i think i'd prefer the quiet and wind-resistent aspects of the full face. just wondering, as a student, why would i not be able to wear a full face? because it limits my ability to hear if i'm on radio? any other reasons?

also, i saw 2 different models on paragear that looked interesting. there's a newer model, the FREEZR MK2 which has an airflow system and anti-fog coating but looks kinda big and weighs more than the other one i saw, the OXYGN- which looks a little more streamlined. are there big differences in the paricular features in different models, or is it just a matter of comfort as to which one feels the best on?
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

When I switched from open faced to full faced I was astonished at how much more peaceful my freefall felt. I was able to concentrate without the distraction of the air battering my face.

this is exactly what i'm thinking the full face will accomplish for me.
Jennifer

thanks alot guys-

i just read alot of the older threads about headgear, and i think i'd prefer the quiet and wind-resistent aspects of the full face. just wondering, as a student, why would i not be able to wear a full face? because it limits my ability to hear if i'm on radio? any other reasons?

also, i saw 2 different models on paragear that looked interesting. there's a newer model, the FREEZR MK2 which has an airflow system and anti-fog coating but looks kinda big and weighs more than the other one i saw, the OXYGN- which looks a little more streamlined. are there big differences in the paricular features in different models, or is it just a matter of comfort as to which one feels the best on?

I was told as a student that I could not use a full face because of the visibility restriction AND/OR tinted lenses (instructors want to see your eyes).

I wear an OPEN face because I find it more comfortable and less restrictive, especially if doing any type of freeflying. I tried a mamba a few times and I simply didn't like it.

Try a few helmets and see what you like.

FWIW, I own a Bonehead Mindwarp and it is VERY quiet and comfortable. Are you jumping with a Protec helmet as a student?

have fun on your jumps!

edit: I meant OPEN FACE not full face. I wear an open face... :$
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

Are you jumping with a Protec helmet as a student?

i'm so new that i haven't even used a helmet yet! i've only done 2 tandems- the last one was instructional though, all the aff level 1 stuff.... but the wind and cold during freefall is not very comfortable for me, which is why i'm already thinking about helmets-

Jennifer

I had an open face, Bonehead Mindwarp, for 1700 jumps. Loved it and the feel of the wind on my face. I just recently bought a Mamba. It felt very uncomfortable for the first 15 or so jumps. But once I got used to it I can't imagine why I waited so long to get a full face. Much more peaceful and quieter. I can focus more. Even works great for freeflying! But different strokes for different folks.

i'm way too new to actually start buying gear, but i want to start learning about it. i'm wondering if someone could explain the pros and cons of these different types of headgear.

on my 2 jumps, the wind was so intense on my face, and sort of hurt my nose and ears a little. i'm thinking that the full face might make me more comfortable, and if so, that might be my first gear purchase when the time comes. i want to make myself as comfortable (and safe) as possible when i jump to get the most out of it.

i'm not sure if there's a full face at my dz that i could wear to try out- if there is, i'll check it out and see how it feels. i was more interested in the safety factor, or other aspects of each type of headgear that i hadn't even considered.

what is your preference and why??

Now that I've sold my full face and started using my open face, I prefer a full face. You can breath very easily, the cold air doesn't make you cry when you can keep the shield closed under canopy, etc. I used my full face for about 100 jumps.

Now that I'm using an open face, I can't breath at all in free fall.

It's better all all around. Only real reason for an open face is maybe a wide field of view or the fact that most camera helmets are open face.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

All these endorsements aside, the best way to find the right full face for you is to try as many on as you can. Even more so than open-face helmets, full-face helmet fit depends on the size and shape of your head. Personally, I've got a freakishly-large head and only the Bonehead Mamba XXL and the FreeZR II XL full-face helmets even fit. After trying both I decided that I prefer the fit of the FreeZR II for my head/face shape, and recently got one and use it for pretty much all of my jumps and tunnel time now. I also have (and love) a Bonehead Guner (open face) that I've jumped since about jump 20.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

well, so far i haven't read anything on any post that would suggest i'm not going to like a full face. i'll try as many on as i can, and then just get one. i guess the only way to try them on would be to check out what people are wearing at my dz, and ask if i could slip it on for a sec? too bad there's not a store nearby that i could just go and see the whole selection....

anyway, thanks for all of the input everyone.
Jennifer

As I see it, full face helmets are quieter, give better protection for RW where you're quite likely to get kicked and are more comfortable in colder climates where you might fall through rain or ice. On the downside, they can restrict your vision, they can fog and freeze up when it's cold, the visors can be hard to operate and they can make you feel claustrophobic and divorced from the reality of what you're doing. I also noticed the wind in your face can be a useful indicator of which way up you are if you find yourself unstable in cloud and a full face takes that away. Having said all that, my preference is a full face for RW and an open face for FF jumps. But check your local regs, you might need to be licenced before you can jump a full face.

well, so far i haven't read anything on any post that would suggest i'm not going to like a full face. i'll try as many on as i can, and then just get one. i guess the only way to try them on would be to check out what people are wearing at my dz, and ask if i could slip it on for a sec? too bad there's not a store nearby that i could just go and see the whole selection....

anyway, thanks for all of the input everyone.

I would wait to buy one until you are done with AFF. Most places will require you to wear their helmets due to radios anyway.

>Most places will require you to wear their helmets due to radios anyway.

And a few other reasons as well!

Like being able to see handles easily.

So instructors can watch the students facial expressions and eyes (and make eye contact)

Less things to think about when under canopy.

Using radios

and a lots more Im sure

I would wait to buy one until you are done with AFF.

yea. there is no way i'll have it before aff, which is only a few days away. i'm just doing some future planning right now, and thinking ahead. i do think a helmet will be the first piece of gear that i buy, and since the ones i'm considering aren't cheap, it will be a while. besides, i need to make a good number of jumps beforehand to get a better feel for what i think will be best.
Jennifer

Skip the rest, buy the best. OXYGN A3

I agree! ....... once you're finished with AFF....

Because something magical will suddenly happen between that last AFF jump and that first solo jump, right?

Being off AFF doesn't suddenly make things different.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)